HTC Evo 3D vs Evo 4G Video & Picture Shootout

Jerzyiroc

May 19, 2010
Visit site
Quite a few of us have either jumped from the Evo 4G to the 3D, or at least contemplating doing so. I loved my Evo 4G. Among the things it did for me, it replaced my point in shoot. In fact, during my trip to Puerto Rico last year I ended up leaving my point and shoot and dedicated HD camcorder at the hotel. For those that have been around the Evo 4G forums probably are familiar of my many threads about the picture/video on the Evo 4G. The Evo 4G is capable of taking some very good pictures.......... but only in perfect situations. The 4G is absolutely horrible in low light and the audio is ungodly horrendous. I never realized how bad it was in low light and the audio until I got the 3D.

So I decided to do a very quick video showing the differences between the two in daylight and low light. (I would like to note that it wasn't in full daylight. I took the "daytime" video at about 8 o clock). You'll see that the 3D holds a solid 30FPS in daylight while the 4G struggled to get above 19. Even in perfect daylight the 4G could barely do 22FPS. What blew me away is the nighttime footage. The 3D was still able to pull over 24FPS (tho dropping to about 15FPS sometimes) while the 4G was only able to pull a pathetic 9FPS. You'll notice the audio quality is far better on the 3D as well. For some reason the audio on the 4G cut off, but it was horrible. That sound you hear in the nighttime videos is my central air unit. In the 3D it sounds fine, in the 4G it sounded like a loud whine. Horrible...

The picture quality is a little closer. I notice the 3D's color to be off a bit, a bit washed out actually. But simply adjusting the settings you can mostly fix that. The 3D does take MUCH sharper pictures. Low light pictures its not even close. My one and only serious complaint about the 3D is about pictures taken with flash... Has anyone noticed that pictures looks greenish when taken with the flash? I've taken so many picture already with the 3D (both in 2D and 3D) and it seems like when taking picture with flash anything that supposed to be white looks green and everything else also has a greenish tint to it. I thought it was just a software issue but the same result happens when using Vignette. I'm a little worried about this.. But anyway, here's the video. Fire away with your opinions!

**Btw, both videos were taken at the exact same time**

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WxOLAx0U84c

Last edited:

metdenn

Jun 10, 2011
Visit site
I was at a birthday last night, wowing some of the crowd with my 3d-goodness, and today reviewing the pics I noticed the greenish hue too... I don't think the flash is green, so it has to be software right? Maybe something to compensate for low-light levels? And ideas how/will it be fixed?

Jerzyiroc

May 19, 2010
Visit site
Ya the flash it definitely not green. I noticed earlier today when recording a video some stuff that should be white looks a little green. So I have no idea whats going on... I'm sure its a software issue. I already sent a message to HTC about it. Hopefully I hear back from them soon. So far the only way I've been able to lessen the green hue is by messing with the exposure settings and the saturation.

Jerzyiroc

May 19, 2010
Visit site
Letter i got from HTC regarding the bootloader, but also the camera issue (green tint).

HTCtome.png

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pierre5463