Duplicate contacts in Messages

pods22

Jun 25, 2011
Visit site
Is anyone else having the same issue? When composing a new text message (thru Messages), I tap the person icon in the upper right to bring up the contacts list, and every contact is duplicated, including all phone numbers and email addresses. If a contact has 2 phone numbers and 2 email addresses, each one is duplicated and they end up with 8 lines on that screen. It makes for a very long list
The strange thing is that this doesn't happen when using the Phone feature or the People shortcut. Can someone please help?!?

trooper54

Apr 19, 2010
Visit site
Is anyone else having the same issue? When composing a new text message (thru Messages), I tap the person icon in the upper right to bring up the contacts list, and every contact is duplicated, including all phone numbers and email addresses. If a contact has 2 phone numbers and 2 email addresses, each one is duplicated and they end up with 8 lines on that screen. It makes for a very long list
The strange thing is that this doesn't happen when using the Phone feature or the People shortcut. Can someone please help?!?

you probably had multiple contacts in multiple accounts on your previous phone. If they are different account types ( for example gmail and facebook) best way would be link the contacts. Or if they are both the same contact type (gmail and gmail) just delete the extra ones.

sed51329

Jun 3, 2010
Visit site
In options in gmail from a computer you can merge duplicate contacts.

Id give better instructions but I'm on my phone. Google 'how to merge duplicate gmail contacts.

pods22

Jun 25, 2011
Visit site
In options in gmail from a computer you can merge duplicate contacts.

Id give better instructions but I'm on my phone. Google 'how to merge duplicate gmail contacts.
Thank You for the suggestion. I didn't know that feature was available. I just tried that option, but it was a no-go. I only had 1 duplicate contact according to GMail.

pods22

Jun 25, 2011
Visit site
you probably had multiple contacts in multiple accounts on your previous phone. If they are different account types ( for example gmail and facebook) best way would be link the contacts. Or if they are both the same contact type (gmail and gmail) just delete the extra ones.
You may be onto something. When picking up my phone, the associate at Best Buy transferred all my contacts to the 3D. Well, long story short, my original 3D had a bad 4G radio and Best Buy exchanged for a new one. Maybe when they transferred contacts from bad 3D to good 3D, they were duplicated somehow.
As a follow-up question, how does one go about deleting the duplicates when they only show up when composing a message?
Sorry, but this is my first Android device so I am not an advanced user.

trooper54

Apr 19, 2010
Visit site
You may be onto something. When picking up my phone, the associate at Best Buy transferred all my contacts to the 3D. Well, long story short, my original 3D had a bad 4G radio and Best Buy exchanged for a new one. Maybe when they transferred contacts from bad 3D to good 3D, they were duplicated somehow.
As a follow-up question, how does one go about deleting the duplicates when they only show up when composing a message?
Sorry, but this is my first Android device so I am not an advanced user.

For linking
HTC actually has an app called htc link that should do it for you. Other wise you long press on a contact, or click that contact and hit menu, and you can link contacts.

To delete, just remove the contact.

Also try this, in contacts go menu. settings. and uncheck the box for "phone".

I think the associate put the contacts on your phone storage. disabling that should fix it.

pods22

Jun 25, 2011
Visit site
For linking
HTC actually has an app called htc link that should do it for you. Other wise you long press on a contact, or click that contact and hit menu, and you can link contacts.

To delete, just remove the contact.

Also try this, in contacts go menu. settings. and uncheck the box for "phone".

I think the associate put the contacts on your phone storage. disabling that should fix it.
So I went to People>Menu>View...then unchecked the box for Phone and checked the box for Google. When I did that all my contacts under 'People' were gone. But, still, when I go to Messages to compose a text, everything is still duplicated??
It is acting like these two lists are unrelated, and I am more confused than ever. Just for the heck of it, I deleted an old contact from the 'People' list, then checked under the 'Messages' list, and could still find the number there. It was not duplicated within the 'Messages' list any longer.
As far as I know, you are not able to delete any contacts while composing a text message, so that option is out. Is there any way to remove all my contacts from the phones internal storage?
Thanks in Advance to anyone who can help!

HTC3DEvo

Jun 27, 2011
Visit site
I have the same duplicating issue on my Evo3D. The contacts in the phone are fine, except when composing a text, everything is duplicated, and looks like that part of the phone didn't update to how my contacts look after I merged them on gmail.

Insp_Gadget

Inspector Gadget
Apr 22, 2010
Visit site
When composing messages, Sense shows you ALL contacts (from any account you have synced) regardless of whether you have linked or hidden them. This is the same behavior that the EVO 4G displayed.

pods22

Jun 25, 2011
Visit site
When composing messages, Sense shows you ALL contacts (from any account you have synced) regardless of whether you have linked or hidden them. This is the same behavior that the EVO 4G displayed.
That may be true, but I really doubt we should be seeing 2 separate lines with the same mobile number for the same person?? Right?
For example if in Google contacts John Doe has a mobile number, a work number, and an email address assigned to him...
When I begin composing a new text, and push the person icon in the upper right corner, I see:
John Doe, mobile 123-456-7890
John Doe, work 987-654-3210
John Doe, email jdoe@xyz.com
John Doe email jdoe@xyz.com

Insp_Gadget

Inspector Gadget
Apr 22, 2010
Visit site
That may be true, but I really doubt we should be seeing 2 separate lines with the same mobile number for the same person?? Right?
For example if in Google contacts John Doe has a mobile number, a work number, and an email address assigned to him...
When I begin composing a new text, and push the person icon in the upper right corner, I see:
John Doe, email jdoe@xyz.com
John Doe email jdoe@xyz.com
It depends. You need to check to see if you have that same information in another account that you're syncing. What accounts did you sync when you set things up?

It may very well be a bug. I have no way of knowing because I'm only syncing Google contacts on my EVO 3D. I use the Facebook app, but I don't sync the Facebook contacts, and I'm not syncing Exchange either.

On my EVO 4G (when I still had it), I synced all three (Google, Exchange, and Facebook), and I would see exactly what you're describing.

pods22

Jun 25, 2011
Visit site
It depends. You need to check to see if you have that same information in another account that you're syncing. What accounts did you sync when you set things up?

It may very well be a bug. I have no way of knowing because I'm only syncing Google contacts on my EVO 3D. I use the Facebook app, but I don't sync the Facebook contacts, and I'm not syncing Exchange either.

On my EVO 4G (when I still had it), I synced all three (Google, Exchange, and Facebook), and I would see exactly what you're describing.
Well, I guess it must be some sort of bug, because I am only syncing with 1 Google account. I double checked that under Settings>Accounts & sync.
If anyone else has any other ideas on how to get rid of the duplicates, I am open to suggestion. Please and Thanks!

KarlHungus55

Jun 22, 2012
Visit site
Ok man, I just got my LG Spectrum 3 days ago...same issue when I go to send a message my contacts are duplicated up to 4 times. This has been such a hassle, I was close to taking it back to Verizon and raising hell...but I figured it out. Try this. Go to contacts, edit anyone that is duping, when the edit contact screen comes up, scroll to the bottom and you will see Phone contact Backup Assistant..the numbers are repeated there. Remove those numbers, save and go back to sending a message and the duplicate contact should be gone. At least it is for me. Hope this helps..I hate typing.

Bubnmic

Jan 20, 2013
Visit site
I just fixed it! I have had the same problem with my new HTC Vivid. It only happened when I went to write a message. When I looked at the "people" tab I had no duplicate and was only looking at my "phone" contacts. Press on the "phonebook" tab on the top of your people list and you will see the different sources of contacts you have. I had a "google" list that I wasn't using that was created when I synced my new phone with google (gmail account) when I got it. I wanted to keep my "phone" list which had more contacts in it so I chose to display only the google list. Hit the menu button on the bottom and chose delete. Choose select all and delete the entire google contact list. Now the only contacts listed in my phone under people was the "phone" contacts. Solved it! When i go to type a message, no more duplicates. I'm sure you can do this with whichever account you want to keep as your contacts. Just delete the lists you dont want from the people menu. And make sure your not syncing the lists you delete or they will come back! I'm happy now.

bhavin sanghvi

Mar 11, 2015
Visit site
Even i am facing the same issue on my Nexus 5X (android version 6.0.1) while composing a new text message (thru Messenger app). When I tap the person icon in the upper right to bring up the contacts list, and every contact is duplicated, including all phone numbers and email addresses.

I think so the reason behind this is that all my contact lists have Linked Contacts (2) with drop down mentioned as Google & WhatsApp and because of this every contact is duplicated on my messenger app. Can somebody please help me urgently? Also i was not facing this issue previously on my Nexus 4 (android version 5.1.1).

pitbull1111

Feb 11, 2016
Visit site
I have the same thing that started today with my Galaxy S5. I called the Verizon tech support and after 45 minutes and uninstalling the Messages+
app and updating it was still there. She took control of the phone and couldn't figure any thing out. We did a factory reset, still there. Her last suggestion was to back up my info (having to buy more Cloud space first) then erase everything and then reinstall all my info. I just didn't want to do that after all that time. I had just had enough at that point. Best of luck. I have opted to live with it.

Gran Puba

Aug 12, 2016
Visit site
I have the same thing that started today with my Galaxy S5. I called the Verizon tech support and after 45 minutes and uninstalling the Messages+
app and updating it was still there. She took control of the phone and couldn't figure any thing out. We did a factory reset, still there. Her last suggestion was to back up my info (having to buy more Cloud space first) then erase everything and then reinstall all my info. I just didn't want to do that after all that time. I had just had enough at that point. Best of luck. I have opted to live with it.

To whom it may concern. Goto phone app>Contacts>Click Menu>Click Contacts to display>Click show all at top where u see Google, my phone, ect. Go back to phone app Contacts and delete duplicates.
Also make sure you only have one app syncing with Contacts. Another method is in your contacts, click on one that's duplicated, and Click Edit, scroll down. If u see a double, click menu and Separate.
The safety thing to do is sync contacts once and forgetaboutit! I triple duplicated my Contacts twice tonight.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dumpsterrentals37