why is the on screen keyboard smaller?

npoz

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
So the screen on the 3d is actually taller than the screen on the 4g so why is the on screen keyboard smaller? is it a setting I need to change or what? I miss my big keyboard!

.46caliber

Jun 16, 2010
Visit site
Screen resolution is very different, as is the housing. The phone, and screen, are now narrower and longer.

The EVO 3D runs a 960x540 display, the EVO 4G was 800x480.The 3D is a true 16:9 wide screen aspect ratio, a QHD display.

Dismaster

Jun 19, 2011
Visit site
My friend has the EVO 4G and his on screen keyboard has arrows along the bottom, but they are not on my 3D. Is there a way to get them?

.46caliber

Jun 16, 2010
Visit site
That's a difference between versions of Sense. You may see it on an update if HTC decides to put them back. The keyboard is from HTC, it's not the Google keyboard.

illwood

Jun 13, 2010
Visit site
My friend has the EVO 4G and his on screen keyboard has arrows along the bottom, but they are not on my 3D. Is there a way to get them?

I would think that HTC removed them because Gingerbread has the new cursor positioning flags that make it easier to move your cursor than trying to tap the exact location of it. I never liked the arrow keys anyway, which is why I used to run the HTC_IME mod keyboard from XDA.

PM-Performance

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
i may be the opposite, but I am finding its easier to type on this keyboard.
I usually ran a keyboard on my 4G that I could make the buttons bigger, but this stock keyboard seems to be working well for me. .
No arrows also FTMFW!!! I hated that part specifically about the stocker on the 4G!

cloak.n.dagger

Jun 24, 2010
Visit site
Just to reiterate why the keyboard seems smaller: the higher resolution makes all things looks smaller. Just like on a Windows desktop at home, if you drop the screen resolution everything looks bigger. The higher you go in your resolution setting, the smaller things get. This is why the keyboard appears smaller.

In regards to the old keyboard with the arrows: I'm glad the arrows are gone. It was a wasted row of keys, for me. The new cursor placement/movement positioning flag work great! HTC, please don't change it back! But, HTC should make a keyboard that has the arrows in it for those of you that miss it. That's how you make everyone happy!

MannyZ28

Apr 18, 2010
Visit site
If you miss your arrow keys download Swiftkey X beta from the Market, one of the greatest and smartest keyboards ever. It is skinable and has tons of functions and options to make it suit you, one of them is the ability to have arrow keys displayed.

Works flawless on my Evo 3d.

:)

fraz

Apr 5, 2010
Visit site
If you miss your arrow keys download Swiftkey X beta from the Market, one of the greatest and smartest keyboards ever. It is skinable and has tons of functions and options to make it suit you, one of them is the ability to have arrow keys displayed.

Works flawless on my Evo 3d.

:)

I purchased Swiftkey a few months ago, now i see swiftkey X BETA in the market... I wonder when the beta is removed will I have to repurchase the new swiftkey x or will my purchase of standard swiftkey be enough?

MannyZ28

Apr 18, 2010
Visit site
I purchased Swiftkey a few months ago, now i see swiftkey X BETA in the market... I wonder when the beta is removed will I have to repurchase the new swiftkey x or will my purchase of standard swiftkey be enough?

No clue, have you tried emailing them with that question?

bobvanjr

Jun 4, 2010
Visit site
I get the whole thing about resolution but they should have made it so the keys were as big as they were before on the original EVO. One of the things that I used to tout about the bigger screen on the EVO was how much better the keyboard was simply because the keys were bigger and easier to type on versus something like an iPhone.

I installed my old Gingerbread apk and it was tiny, tiny, tiny. I don't like it.

MannyZ28

Apr 18, 2010
Visit site
I get the whole thing about resolution but they should have made it so the keys were as big as they were before on the original EVO. One of the things that I used to tout about the bigger screen on the EVO was how much better the keyboard was simply because the keys were bigger and easier to type on versus something like an iPhone.

I installed my old Gingerbread apk and it was tiny, tiny, tiny. I don't like it.

The main problem is the screen width that we lost. The keyboard seems much smaller especially in portrait mode as a result of this. There is just no way to make the keys bigger, we just did lose that much real estate. As far as landscape mode goes, the keyboard actually got wider which makes it a little slower to type on for me just because my thumbs have to move from left to right more than they are used to. The keys in landscape mode aren't as tall, but that really doesn't seem to affect things that much.

You can't expect a keyboard to look the same as it does on a screen that is significantly smaller width wise than the Evo 4G.

fraz

Apr 5, 2010
Visit site
Let us know the results...

Hi Fraz,

No you won't need to repurchase :)

When SwiftKey X comes out of public beta, it will be available as a free upgrade for users who have paid for SwiftKey. It?s our way of saying thanks for your early support!

Kind Regards,

Sarah

bobvanjr

Jun 4, 2010
Visit site
Significantly smaller? I don't agree. We're talking a tiny bit. The smaller size of the keys isn't proportional to the significant reduction in screen width. Why do they also seem shorter in height in portrait mode? There is plenty of room there.

Anyways , it's just upsetting when what I consider the perfect keyboard is unusable.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
catherinediane