Screen Not Responding?

Wiseguy158

Oct 13, 2009
Visit site
So this is weird ...

On two occasions - once yesterday, once today, the same thing has happened. I was playing with my E3D, played some game, went "home" to open another, and it wouldn't let me click on it. I tried to swipe the screen to a different screen, and it wouldn't swipe. I turned the screen off, then back on and it WOULD let me unlock (swipe the ring up), but again, wouldn't let me click any apps or swipe to another screen. It WOULD let me click on the three launcher buttons (apps, phone, personalize), but nothing more.

It seems as if something is happening where the top portion of the screen stops responding. A reboot of the phone fixes it, no problem - but is anyone else having the same issue? Any ideas?

saxamoophone

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
Re: Screen Not Responding???

So this is weird ...

On two occasions - once yesterday, once today, the same thing has happened. I was playing with my E3D, played some game, went "home" to open another, and it wouldn't let me click on it. I tried to swipe the screen to a different screen, and it wouldn't swipe. I turned the screen off, then back on and it WOULD let me unlock (swipe the ring up), but again, wouldn't let me click any apps or swipe to another screen. It WOULD let me click on the three launcher buttons (apps, phone, personalize), but nothing more.

It seems as if something is happening where the top portion of the screen stops responding. A reboot of the phone fixes it, no problem - but is anyone else having the same issue? Any ideas?

Same here! The top 20-40% of the screen area becomes unresponsive. Even after a full reboot it came back! Not sure if this is SW or HW.

svargas05

May 17, 2010
Visit site

I was taking it in to get swapped and they wanted to charge $35 for a restocking fee :confused:... are you experiencing this too?

They should NOT be charging a re-stocking fee. That's BS.

You have a defective device that you're getting replaced. You arent returning the thing.

Tell them you'll call Sprint Cares or the folks over Dan@sprint.com and ask if they're supposed to be charging that, they'll **** their pants and apologize.

Savoy

Jun 7, 2011
Visit site

I had this same issue once after exiting the game reckless racing. I waited a minute or so and then the phone was fine again. I don't think it's a hardware issue since it hasn't happened since and it doesn't happen doing anything else (games included).

Instigator187

Jun 28, 2011
Visit site

I am having the same issue about twice a day since I got it on launch. It must be software related because the screen works fine on the lock screen, I have found on mine though when it locks up, if I pull the notification bar down and put it back up the screen works again (for some reason when the top 60% of the screen or so lockis up I can still pull the notification bar down). Would you guys recommend swapping it? Or wait to see if there is a software size for this? This is my first android phone just upgraded from the pre, love it so far but this is annoying

Last edited:

Savoy

Jun 7, 2011
Visit site

I am having the same issue about twice a day since I got it on launch. It must be software related because the screen works fine on the lock screen, I have found on mine though when it locks up, if I pull the notification bar down and pit it back up the screen works again (for some reason when the top 60% of the screen or so locks up I can still pull the notification bar down). Would you guys recommend swapping it? Or wait to see if there is a software size for this?

IMO it seems as if the phone has some random software/firmware glitches. They seem to be sense 3.0 related regarding the interaction between the handing off of apps to sense on the desktop andback and forth if you know what I mean. In other words I believe we will get some updates from HTC to solve most if not all of these issues and also as the apps we use themselves get updated for our phone these issues should resolve. Again I see no evidence there is a hardware issue. This specifically happened to me when I exited the game a nd it was transitioning back to the homescreen. To me that suggests a driver/software issue. Since it seemed like the os realized there was an issue with the resources not being dumped properly after the game exited and then released the memory and the phone was running normally again. These issues sometimes happen on PC's too and used to happen years ago alot. Usually when you see this it's because the app/game/whatever didn't dump the resources it was using and free up the system ram. The os sort of sits there not knowing what to do and when it realizes it is not responding properly it then dumps the memory and away you go.

Edit: Way back in the day during the windows 95/98 days sometimes when things like this happened it would crash the whole OS and give you a nice BSOD (blue screen of death). That among many issues were the cause for some BSOD's back then. Sometimes it would crash the kernel and also cause a bsod etc.

sed51329

Jun 3, 2010
Visit site

This happened with my old EVO as well as the new one. The simple act of turning off the screen and back on usually works.

It's only happened once or twice in a week.

syphex

Jun 6, 2010
Visit site
Screen stops working

Has anyone else had an issue where all of the sudden your screen stops working? I still seem to be able to touch a quarter and inch at the bottom but that's about it. A reboot fixes it but its starting to worry me

Sent from my Evo3d using Tapatalk

denverhtc

Jul 10, 2011
Visit site

Ive had my evo 3d for about 2 weeks now and its happened 3 times. Only the top 3/4 of the screen is not responsive while the bottom 1/4 works fine. The only way to fix it is restarting the cell. Anyone know if its hardware vs software related? Anywhere specific im supposed to call to get it fixed?

Im new to the htc scene

nkd

Feb 12, 2011
Visit site
Re: Screen stops working

It happened to me once after I exited the camera. I think HTC have their work cut out for them when it comes to.camera software.

BlakeDW

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site
Re: Screen stops working

I have been having problems with the phone locking up, rebooting, and just randomly crashing. It seems like pulling the battery for 1 minute before putting it back in seems to hold the problem off. I'm just waiting for the software update so it doesn't keep happening.. Always seems to happen in clusters.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pierre5463