How to make your Evo 3d run lag free and smoother?

bdmridgback

Jun 16, 2010
Visit site
I noticed today that the factory Task Killer is set ON as default. I turned mine off to see if it actually affects the battery life to the better or worse.

bronzfinga

Jun 26, 2011
Visit site
new to 3D from BB...

so when I look at the Task Manager and the total memory is 803mb with only 367mb free, thats RAM right? Anyway to bring this number up? This includes not having any apps listed as running.

also, under apps>running, it shows the RAM amount again with 512mb free while using 242mb.

So are these numbers normal? Think I have only installed 10 apps tops and deleted the apps we can.

planet_x

Jun 26, 2011
Visit site
new to 3D from BB...

so when I look at the Task Manager and the total memory is 803mb with only 367mb free, thats RAM right? Anyway to bring this number up? This includes not having any apps listed as running.

also, under apps>running, it shows the RAM amount again with 512mb free while using 242mb.

So are these numbers normal? Think I have only installed 10 apps tops and deleted the apps we can.
It's my understanding that that of the 4GB of RAM installed that 1GB is for your apps to run on the other is for local phone app storage, swap and the OS, phone code. ...I'm sure that once HTC allows the phone to be rooted then the full memory layout and usage will be known.

I move all my downloaded apps the Micro HDSC card and run them from there with no issues or lag...but like most geeks I am a firm believer that you can never have too much RAM...I also believe that all that RAM should be used and not lying around empty so I don't concern myself with how much is left as it its not an indicator of lag or performance. I would argue that using a lot of RAM in most cases is the best thing your apps and OS can do as you get significantly greater performance...memory leaks and bugs aside...

Insp_Gadget

Inspector Gadget
Apr 22, 2010
Visit site
It's my understanding that that of the 4GB of RAM installed that 1GB is for your apps to run on the other is for local phone app storage, swap and the OS, phone code. ...I'm sure that once HTC allows the phone to be rooted then the full memory layout and usage will be known.

I move all my downloaded apps the Micro HDSC card and run them from there with no issues or lag...but like most geeks I am a firm believer that you can never have too much RAM...I also believe that all that RAM should be used and not lying around empty so I don't concern myself with how much is left as it its not an indicator of lag or performance. I would argue that using a lot of RAM in most cases is the best thing your apps and OS can do as you get significantly greater performance...memory leaks and bugs aside...

It's not 4GB of RAM. The phone has 1GB of RAM. The RAM (Random Access Memory) is the memory that is used for actually running the operating system and programs.

The 4GB you mention is internal flash storage (just like an internal non-removable microSD card or internal hard drive on a computer). Only 1GB of that is left for internal storage of user-installed applications. The rest of it is taken up by Android, HTC Sense 3.0, and the pre-installed apps.

planet_x

Jun 26, 2011
Visit site
It's not 4GB of RAM. The phone has 1GB of RAM. The RAM (Random Access Memory) is the memory that is used for actually running the operating system and programs.

The 4GB you mention is internal flash storage (just like an internal non-removable microSD card or internal hard drive on a computer). Only 1GB of that is left for internal storage of user-installed applications. The rest of it is taken up by Android, HTC Sense 3.0, and the pre-installed apps.
Excellent to know...now I wont repeat any myths! I hope they use the separate 4GB of internal flash for swap etc as needed...given the state and speeds I would hope so ....

yibrushn

Sep 8, 2010
Visit site
no one needs to fiddle with the amount of free RAM. you're phone handles it just fine. if you are experiencing lag, check which widgets you've loaded. but if your phone is going along just fine don't worry about the free RAM.

bigorange

Jun 25, 2011
Visit site
I think its a bit absurd that we have to do this on a dual core gingerbread device with 1gb ram.

It is absurd that people are even discussing this, the phone is lightning fast out of the box and unless you are Kato from the Green hornet, you cannot see lag.

svargas05

May 17, 2010
Visit site
no one needs to fiddle with the amount of free RAM. you're phone handles it just fine. if you are experiencing lag, check which widgets you've loaded. but if your phone is going along just fine don't worry about the free RAM.

Well, you do know that since HTC preloaded a Task Manager with our phones, people will look at it, they will worry about the numbers it shows, therefore it is inevitable...

Honestly, if I could uninstall it, I would.

Insp_Gadget

Inspector Gadget
Apr 22, 2010
Visit site
It is absurd that people are even discussing this, the phone is lightning fast out of the box and unless you are Kato from the Green hornet, you cannot see lag.

I couldn't agree more. Other operating system platforms (Windows, etc.) and previous versions of Android have gotten people so accustomed to babysitting their memory management that folks don't know how to just relax and let the OS do its thing. ;)

bdmridgback

Jun 16, 2010
Visit site
I went in and disabled my Task Manager, seens how it comes ENABLED from the factory.

It seems my battery is doing better throughout the day!

toddpedersen

Jun 30, 2011
Visit site
i've been using this: Fast Reboot

if anything starts slowing i run it, back to normal in no time..

i used it with my evo and now on the 3D.. good stuff

.. there's also a pay version which has the option to exclude certain apps

Just curious if anyone feels that with Gingerbread now, there is a Restart built into the Power Button being held down, and if you have FastBoot checked marked under Settings and then Power it should do the same thing correct, and without the need to have a 3rd party app installed right?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RemusGhostofRome