Evo 3D call quality patch?

MasterMS

Jun 27, 2011
Visit site
I was just wondering if its possible to improve call quality by a patch. I'm loving the phone but the call quality does leave something to be desired.

mcduffer

Dec 27, 2009
Visit site
Is your coverage area good? Here in Illinois, suburbs of Chicago and everywhere I go call quality is good. Nice and loud and clear for me. This is why I have been with Sprint for 10 years and will continue to stay with them. In fact, every phone I've had with Sprint has been good call quality. Guess I'm lucky.

efallows

Jun 21, 2011
Visit site
I will definitely confirm that calling Sprint and getting my msl # was worth it. Voice quality on both ends has improved. Sounds about as good as the Nexus S I returned within my 30 days to get this phone.

acf3passion

Jun 13, 2011
Visit site
I will definitely confirm that calling Sprint and getting my msl # was worth it. Voice quality on both ends has improved. Sounds about as good as the Nexus S I returned within my 30 days to get this phone.

What is MSL and how does this improve the call quality?

Savoy

Jun 7, 2011
Visit site
Some one I talk too tonight told me I sound muffled. This is first time I've talked to this person since getting the 3d. I was thinking if trying this but two things entered my mind. If this is so much better why wasn'tit set this way out of the box? Second why doesn't sprint issue an ota fix for this? I shouldn't have to get into service menus to have decent call quality.

efallows

Jun 21, 2011
Visit site
Some one I talk too tonight told me I sound muffled. This is first time I've talked to this person since getting the 3d. I was thinking if trying this but two things entered my mind. If this is so much better why wasn'tit set this way out of the box? Second why doesn't sprint issue an ota fix for this? I shouldn't have to get into service menus to have decent call quality.

I couldn't agree more with you, just nice to get this fixed for now and undo it if there is an OTA update in the future.

Verdes8891

Jul 9, 2010
Visit site
I have had almost better call quality with the 3d then i did with the 4g. Not saying the 4g's was bad, but it seems better with this phone. I live in the chicago suburbs and i am never wuthout good signal.

Sent from my 3D EVOlution

CarrieK

Feb 3, 2011
Visit site
I have had almost better call quality with the 3d then i did with the 4g. Not saying the 4g's was bad, but it seems better with this phone. I live in the chicago suburbs and i am never wuthout good signal.

Sent from my 3D EVOlution

+1 except the Chicago part. I live in the Nashville, TN area. I did notice when I first got the phone that 3G was a little slow, but I reset my profile and now it is blazin' :D

vanjangles

May 25, 2011
Visit site

Djblue

Dec 2, 2009
Visit site
Tried it out and it has improved the call quality, nothing mind blowing but noticeable. I also saw on XDA how to improve your internet speed in the same main menu as where to turn on the vocoder. Worked as well.

Nice, my call quality is great so I had no reason to do it. I did improve my internet speed and there is a nice little bump in speed that I got after doing it. He downside is that sprint tv doesn't work anymore

Savoy

Jun 7, 2011
Visit site
Someone else said they noticed (over at phandroid) their cpu utilization went from 13% percent -ish to approx 60-70% when on a call after changing the codec. So my question is....maybe Sprint/HTC don't enable this out of the box for battery savings? Or maybe it's because they feel it isn't effecient enough and using more resources? I mean I find it hard to believe we are smarter than them...why doesn't Sprint use this from the get go? This seriously makes no sense. I mean all well and good and I may try it but something about this bothers me. I can't help it. If this is so superior why are WE the ones to change it and why isn't it used by Sprint across all phones or at least the E3D?

vanjangles

May 25, 2011
Visit site
Someone else said they noticed (over at phandroid) their cpu utilization went from 13% percent -ish to approx 60-70% when on a call after changing the codec. So my question is....maybe Sprint/HTC don't enable this out of the box for battery savings? Or maybe it's because they feel it isn't effecient enough and using more resources? I mean I find it hard to believe we are smarter than them...why doesn't Sprint use this from the get go? This seriously makes no sense. I mean all well and good and I may try it but something about this bothers me. I can't help it. If this is so superior why are WE the ones to change it and why isn't it used by Sprint across all phones or at least the E3D?

Don't have an answer for that but if it doesn't work out you can always change it back. Doesn't hurt to try.

Savoy

Jun 7, 2011
Visit site
Don't have an answer for that but if it doesn't work out you can always change it back. Doesn't hurt to try.

Ya I know I can try it but that's not the point. I don't all of a sudden wanna see my battery life plummet because of this. Bah just annoys me for some reason. I mean these are things that should have been taken care of in testing not by the end users. It's bs this is a core feature not an extra side thing.

vanjangles

May 25, 2011
Visit site
Ya I know I can try it but that's not the point. I don't all of a sudden wanna see my battery life plummet because of this. Bah just annoys me for some reason. I mean these are things that should have been taken care of in testing not by the end users. It's bs this is a core feature not an extra side thing.

Yeah I see your point. I will check out my battery life over the next couple of days and post if I see any decline.

vanjangles

May 25, 2011
Visit site
Nice, my call quality is great so I had no reason to do it. I did improve my internet speed and there is a nice little bump in speed that I got after doing it. He downside is that sprint tv doesn't work anymore

I tried to load it up and it said an update is required. Does that mean if I update it will change the settings back?

Starfleet Captain

Aug 3, 2010
Visit site

Well, I haven't tried it yet but that's only because I don't feel like going a couple rounds with Sprint CS today. Maybe I'll give it a go round tomorrow.

I will say that given the fact that the -2 vocoder option is more compressed and efficient, then it makes sense that more CPU resources will be used during phone calls. Whenever you deal with data compression, you are reducing the storage size and/or bandwidth thats necessary for a certain amount of data at the expense of CPU resources. The CPU has to work harder to compress and decompress data in order for us to interact with it. The deeper the compression, the less bandwidth necessary for data transmission, and the more taxing the CPU! More CPU resources means more battery drainage. This seems like yet another measure that HTC implemented to conserve battery life.

However, you should ask yourself, How much time do you spend talking on your phone. I only spend maybe a total of maybe 45 minutes at the most, throughout my day talking on my cell phone. This should not make a HUGE difference in my battery life, but I guess I'll find out soon enough. If I notice something significant, I can change it back.

Savoy

Jun 7, 2011
Visit site
Well, I haven't tried it yet but that's only because I don't feel like going a couple rounds with Sprint CS today. Maybe I'll give it a go round tomorrow.

I will say that given the fact that the -2 vocoder option is more compressed and efficient, then it makes sense that more CPU resources will be used during phone calls. Whenever you deal with data compression, you are reducing the storage size and/or bandwidth thats necessary for a certain amount of data at the expense of CPU resources. The CPU has to work harder to compress and decompress data in order for us to interact with it. The deeper the compression, the less bandwidth necessary for data transmission, and the more taxing the CPU! More CPU resources means more battery drainage. This seems like yet another measure that HTC implemented to conserve battery life.

However, you should ask yourself, How much time do you spend talking on your phone. I only spend maybe a total of maybe 45 minutes at the most, throughout my day talking on my cell phone. This should not make a HUGE difference in my battery life, but I guess I'll find out soon enough. If I notice something significant, I can change it back.

I understand this exactly. Which is why I'm apprehensive to do this. I like my battery life how it is and how it is, is pretty fantastic to be honest. The battery life on my e3d is awesome when compared to my OG Evo. I look foward to hearing more comments on how battery life is going for you guys who are using this new codec.

planet_x

Jun 26, 2011
Visit site
I just switched between the original and A encoder and saw 0 difference in cpu...the cpu during a call moves all over the map regardless of what encoder i selected....so...until someone does some extensive tests to prove otherwise I would bet that changing this setting does little to cpu and may subjectively only improve voice YMMV