So is it worth it?

charlie hustle

Jul 27, 2010
Visit site
More than worth it to me, and im coming from an evo. If you are coming form anything below or older than that (evo 4g), you will be blown away.

Tenebrous

Jun 30, 2011
Visit site
I was considering the Nexus S 4G before I got the EVO3D how do they compare?

I too was considering both phones, but went with the Nexus. For me the free tethering and most up-to-date Android OS overcame the raw power of the Evo and the 3d effect. It is nice to get a cup of coffee and use the free tethering with my Xoom to surf the web. I had the Evo 4g and it is nicer to surf the web on a tablet over a phone.

Also, as I mentioned in another thread, the Nexus has video on gtalk which is the result of having the most up to date OS. Moreover, my battery on the Nexus routinely lasts about 24 (moderate usage) - 52 + hours (little usage). In contrast to my Evo 4g, which I had to charge that about every 12 hours.

In the end, as I wrote before, both phones have something to offer. The power of the 3d and the Sense UI is very appealing in the Evo 3d, but so too is free tethering, most up to date Android OS (gtalk with video for example), and better battery life in the Nexus S 4g. Also, the Nexus s has the NFC chip which is looking more and more useful (check out youtube and apparantly, Blackberrys may be getting them too). So, it is up to the user to decide what is best for them. If you love gaming and/or watching movies on your cell phone, then go for the Evo 3d; if you want the most up to date OS, NFC chip, free tethering, and ostensibly better battery life, go for the Nexus S 4g.

Reactions: LegendarySoul

bobodobo

Jun 4, 2010
Visit site
I too was considering both phones, but went with the Nexus. For me the free tethering and most up-to-date Android OS overcame the raw power of the Evo and the 3d effect.
Not trying to be argumentative or a troll, but you got free tethering from Sprint or another provider on the Nexus? That surprised me so went to Sprint's website, pretended to be a new user, and there was the usual $30/mo charge for tethering with the Nexus. Also, don't both phones come with Gingerbread? I must be missing something...

LegendarySoul

Jun 12, 2011
Visit site
I too was considering both phones, but went with the Nexus. For me the free tethering and most up-to-date Android OS overcame the raw power of the Evo and the 3d effect. It is nice to get a cup of coffee and use the free tethering with my Xoom to surf the web. I had the Evo 4g and it is nicer to surf the web on a tablet over a phone.

Also, as I mentioned in another thread, the Nexus has video on gtalk which is the result of having the most up to date OS. Moreover, my battery on the Nexus routinely lasts about 24 (moderate usage) - 52 + hours (little usage). In contrast to my Evo 4g, which I had to charge that about every 12 hours.

In the end, as I wrote before, both phones have something to offer. The power of the 3d and the Sense UI is very appealing in the Evo 3d, but so too is free tethering, most up to date Android OS (gtalk with video for example), and better battery life in the Nexus S 4g. Also, the Nexus s has the NFC chip which is looking more and more useful (check out youtube and apparantly, Blackberrys may be getting them too). So, it is up to the user to decide what is best for them. If you love gaming and/or watching movies on your cell phone, then go for the Evo 3d; if you want the most up to date OS, NFC chip, free tethering, and ostensibly better battery life, go for the Nexus S 4g.

You get exactly right! I'm been considering about it sometimes. I was almost going for EVO 3D but after I learned some users have issues about EVO 3D. Behind the 3D stuffs which i don't care, it's overheat when recording video for long time, lag whenever leave a game while check email or texts, and etc. I have been hearing often about the users defend their opinions but I don't care. I just want something makes me happy, not follow users' opinion.

I am making decision for buying Nexus S 4G because I am SO SIMPLE guy with texting and emailing. I don't see why I want to watch YouTube or some movies or to play some lame games for entertaining myself. I am not poor tech guy. I am better social person. Don't see why not I would like to buy 3D but heck, I'm sticking to old fashion things that so simple for great life. :cool:

Tenebrous

Jun 30, 2011
Visit site
Not trying to be argumentative or a troll, but you got free tethering from Sprint or another provider on the Nexus? That surprised me so went to Sprint's website, pretended to be a new user, and there was the usual $30/mo charge for tethering with the Nexus. Also, don't both phones come with Gingerbread? I must be missing something...

No problem at all - yes, the Nexus S 4g come with free (wireless) tethering out of the box - no downloads, no rooting, etc. No, my Nexus is running Android version 2.3.4 while the Evo 3d is running Android version 2.3.3. So, for example, the gtalk application on the Nexus S 4g has video chat, but no video chat on gtalk for Evo 3d.

Remember, all this is not to say that the Evo 3d is not a good phone, on the contrary the power is very attractive. However, the Nexus S 4g is also attractive in other ways, such as with the software. Again if you are a phone-gamer, then the Evo 3d is your phone, but if battery life and software features, such as tethering or first to update, then the Nexus 4g may be the right phone.

LegendarySoul

Jun 12, 2011
Visit site

No, it's not true. Sprint has nothing to do with charging for tethering but only Samnung or HTC do. They work off with their own hands. Why charge people for tethering if they already make phones tho?

bobodobo

Jun 4, 2010
Visit site
No, it's not true. Sprint has nothing to do with charging for tethering but only Samnung or HTC do. They work off with their own hands. Why charge people for tethering if they already make phones tho?
Sorry I can be so slow at times.. HTC and Samsung sell phones, Sprint sells phone and data services. You're saying that if buy Sprint's usual phone/data service but I don't buy Sprint's optional $30/month tethering service, I will have the tethering service anyway on the Samsung Nexus but not the HTC EVO 3D?

Tenebrous

Jun 30, 2011
Visit site
Sorry I can be so slow at times.. HTC and Samsung sell phones, Sprint sells phone and data services. You're saying that if buy Sprint's usual phone/data service but I don't buy Sprint's optional $30/month tethering service, I will have the tethering service anyway on the Samsung Nexus but not the HTC EVO 3D?

No worries, again, if you buy the Nexus S 4g, you will have free (wireless) tethering out of the box - no rooting, no nothing. If you have an Evo 3d, you do not get free tethering out of the box.

bobodobo

Jun 4, 2010
Visit site
Does Sprint know about this free tethering? If you try to do it through their website, they charge $30 for tethering whether you buy an Evo or Nexus (I just tried it.)

nkd

Feb 12, 2011
Visit site
I cant believe I am saying this but the nexus S that I replaced held on the one 4g bar and held on to it good. I am getting very bad 4g at my house with the 3d. I am about to hit up sprint tomorrow as this thing cant possibly be worse then the nexus s when it comes to signal. If they cant fix it at their end this thing is going back. The 4g signal strength is actually better then the nexus but it doesn't stick on to the signal so far in the same spot I use the nexus.

CarrieK

Feb 3, 2011
Visit site
This may seem obvious to some people but I tend to have braindead moments sometimes ;) After I had this phone for a couple of days I noticed it was laggy and my 3 and 4G speeds were awful. Then I updated my profile and now it is super fast... even better than my EVO 4G was. I also realize that the wireless tether is important to people (me included but I have two other rooted phones I can use if necessary) but if in a pinch I can use EasyTether and it works great. Bottom line, choice is good and I am glad we have as many great options as we do. Not every phone is right for everyone. For me though, I am so glad I decided to go with the 3D. It is simply amazing!

milominderbinde

May 25, 2010
Visit site
I was considering the Nexus S 4G before I got the EVO3D how do they compare?

The Nexus S is missing:
1. Facebook Contacts sync
2. Facebook Calendar sync
3. Facebook photo and status sync for caller ID
4. microSD card
5. A 4.3" qHD screen
6. Ability to break up SMS over 160 characters
7. Notification LED.
8. The other core.

If you will root the phone, you can fix the Facebook problems. Without root, you do not have their photos and status updated in the caller ID when they call. You don't have their birthdays. Contacts does not list the status or photo updates either.

You can get a better Messaging app. You can use NoLED but it is almost funny compared to a real LED.

But there is no ROM that will fix the microSD or the 4" display.

The Nexus S is like a car converted to be a stock car. The back seat is gone and so is the passenger seat. The lights and side windows are gone and so is anything that can add weight to make it as fast as possible. The Nexus S is great for a gearhead but not as great for a regular driver.

If all you are looking for is beastly power, the stock EVO 3D is underclocked to 1.2Ghz. It has a 1.5GHz dual core CPU. Just wait until it gets rooted and the developers get ahold of it. Then Ice Cream Sandwich will finally turn on the second core this winter. Right now the EVO 3D is like running a big block V8 on 4 cylenders.

Wait until the 1.5GHz EVO 3D is let out of it's cage, running on all cylenders.

Last edited:

monkeyzero

Nov 13, 2009
Visit site
All of this "laggy this and laggy that" is reminding me of my 78 year old father in law. He went from dial up to broadband and still complains about speed. If this is too slow, wait for a Kal-el handset...

Sent from my PG86100 using Tapatalk

Tenebrous

Jun 30, 2011
Visit site
The Nexus S is missing:
1. Facebook Contacts sync
2. Facebook Calendar sync
3. Facebook photo and status sync for caller ID
4. microSD card
5. A 4.3" qHD screen
6. Ability to break up SMS over 160 characters
7. Notification LED.
8. The other core.

If you will root the phone, you can fix the Facebook problems. Without root, you do not have their photos and status updated in the caller ID when they call. You don't have their birthdays. Contacts does not list the status or photo updates either.

You can get a better Messaging app. You can use NoLED but it is almost funny compared to a real LED.

The Nexus S is like a car converted to be a stock car. The back seat is gone and so is the passenger seat. The lights and side windows are gone and so is anything that can add weight to make it as fast as possible. The Nexus S is great for a gearhead but not as great for a regular driver.

If all you are looking for is beastly power, the stock EVO 3D is underclocked to 1.2Ghz. It has a 1.5GHz dual core CPU. Just wait until it gets rooted and the developers get ahold of it. Then Ice Cream Sandwich will finally turn on the second core this winter. Right now the EVO 3D is like running a big block V8 on 4 cylenders.

Wow, OK I get that this is the Evo 3d section, but come on, at least try to be honest. Some of the things that you listed as "missing" actually make the Nexus better and you listed absolutely no positives for the Nexus. I happen to like both phones, but, for me, the Nexus has more useful feautures than the Evo 3d. The 3d effect hurts my eye, the dual core drains the battery and has no benefit to me since I could care less about tiny games or tiny movies on my phone. Meanwhile the Nexus is the first to get updates - even now the Evo 3d is behind on Android OS (Nexus S 4g is running Android version 2.3.4 whiles Evo 3d is running version 2.3.3 - which, among other things gives gTalk video chat to Nexus S owners).

Nexus S owners have free wireless tehering out of the box, yes you can root your Evo 3d, but some people do not like to do that (and it puts rooted users even further behind, even if a little, on recieving updates). My Nexus goes about 48 hrs before charging (I have gone 60+ hours on my Nexus with light usage). However, with, moderate use, the phone gets charged once a day or sometimes once every two days, but that depends on usage.

Facebook sync? You can use syncmypix from the Android market or export information from Facebook (.csv file) and import it to your Gmail account - no rooting required (with Google + coming out, this may become even less relevant). There is also the NFC chip which gives the Nexus more future functionality. Yes, there is no SD card on the Nexus, but Nexus gives you16gb while you get only 4gb with the Evo 3d - so you need an SD card for the Evo 3d, whereas a SD card would have been nice on the Nexus. However with Google Music using 'the cloud' this is becoming less and less imortant.

4.3 qhd? Really? The 4.0 super amolid (sp) display on the Nexus is also very nice and only slightly smaller. This is a non-factor. Led lights? Who cares, besides there is an app for that in the Android market. So, yet again this is another non factor.

As I wrote before, in the end, both phones are nice and appeal to different users. If you enjoy gaming, Sense UI (which is nice), or 3d movies on your phone, the Evo 3d may be your phone, but if you enjoy first to update, free wireless tehering, pure Android, and seemingly better battery life, then the Nexus may be your phone. Both phones have something to offer and both are solid phones.

Last edited:

anckentucky

Jun 23, 2011
Visit site
Well to all I thank you for your input and I'm glad to say I just ordered me an Evo 3D and My sister one as well since Sprint offered us 3 25$ gift cards for each line, and I'm going to apply those to the extra $100 for the other 3D. Also ordered my mom a Samsung Replenish. Now for the waiting game :'(

Wiley_11

May 10, 2011
Visit site
Well to all I thank you for your input and I'm glad to say I just ordered me an Evo 3D and My sister one as well since Sprint offered us 3 25$ gift cards for each line, and I'm going to apply those to the extra $100 for the other 3D. Also ordered my mom a Samsung Replenish. Now for the waiting game :'(

About time! j/k......Prepare for awesomeness, you won't be sorry. :D

LegendarySoul

Jun 12, 2011
Visit site
The Nexus S is missing:
1. Facebook Contacts sync Due to "Pure" Google, it would add it. I don't see why Nexus S 4G do with the root against EVO 3D. Don't forget EVO 3D ALREADY root.
2. Facebook Calendar sync Same #1
3. Facebook photo and status sync for caller ID Same #1
4. microSD card Buy high GB MicroSD card then
5. A 4.3" qHD screen Smaller is not bad size for pocket, is it?
6. Ability to break up SMS over 160 characters It's same thing to any phone. 160 is mostly used for all texting. -_-;;
7. Notification LED.
8. The other core. What core? Why, it's a single-core. It is 1GHz processor from Samsung, doesn?t support high definition video recording. Perfect, no 3D at all!

The Nexus S is like a car converted to be a stock car. The back seat is gone and so is the passenger seat. The lights and side wows are gone and so is anything that can add weight to make it as fast as possible. The Nexus S is great for a gearhead but not as great for a regular driver.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DragnDon