Rooting & ROMS: HTC Evo 4G LTE & Samsung Galaxy S3

Feb 4, 2012
Visit site
Hello,

I, like so many others am trying to decide between the Samsung Galaxy S3 & the HTC Evo 4G LTE. One thing that I definitely want is to be able to root and flash ROMS on whichever phone I get. I know that root has been achieved on both phones but I'd like thoughts on developer support between the two, and which one (or both) can be set back to an original state where it's not known it was rooted for warranty purposes. I know HTC lets you unlock the bootloader but unless there's a workaround it'll say relocked on the bootloader allowing anyone savvy enough to check that it's been rooted. Wondering if current root versions are S-on, S-off or either with the owner choosing. Or perhaps S-off is a must in order to truly relock the bootloader so it says locked instead of relocked. I also read in my research that you can trip a counter on the S3 the counts how many ROMS have been flashed... Although I also read it's possible to root without tripping the counter but if anything goes wrong, you can't reset the counter.

Now, it seems like the S3 would have the most dev support since it's been released globally but I'm assuming that the ROMS developed for the global quad core version won't be compatible with the dual core US version. Is this correct? Is there Evo dev community really committed so that I could expect similar work being done for both phones?

Lastly, I'm assuming that the S3 will have more accessories available for it given its release on 5 US carriers without any changes in the phone... Seems like a first for any phone but the iphone. Do you agree with this or do you expect lots of accessories and aftermarket items available for the Evo LTE as well.

I know that there's a lot of questions in this but with the phones being so similar, this may be the area that differentiates them. And I know that I definitely want to root the phone... No question on that.

Thanks in advance for any and all advice! I appreciate it so much!

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chelsea rae