I was previously rooted with the one click Zeedomax (spelling?) Method. Decided I wanted to take the OTA update seeing as how I should be able to Dev unlock and fast boot a new recovery. Well...not so much. Repeatedly tried the unlock method at HTC Dev with the same results. I clicked on the " other supported devices and went thru it line by line to make sure I wasn't missing something. When submitting my token, it always comes back saying it failed due to the token not being the correct size. I coppiced only the required info just like in the sample pics. I counted the characters and compared it to the sample token. Tried the whole process from scratch multiple times. Still no dice. Wondering if anyone else has tried recently and if its just my dumb luck, or if the new boot loader is just not supported for HTC Dev unlock? Any insight or suggestions would be helpful. Just looking to root for bloat removal and some ad removal. And minor tweaks of course. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Sent from my EVO One using mind beam.
    07-12-2012 11:56 PM
    It's extremely sensitive to how you copy the token over. Make sure you didn't grab any extra characters or a space at the end. It took me 3 tries.
    If you didn't already know, unlocking performs a full wipe and factory reset, so back everything up before trying again if you haven't done so already.
    Once you're unlocked, the easiest way to get recovery is install Goo Manager from the play store. Once in, tap menu then install open recovery script. This will download and install the latest version of TWRP.
    Now you can download and flash the stock rooted ROM in the rooting ROMs and hacks subforum here.
    Good luck!

Sent from my EVO using Android Central Forums
    07-13-2012 05:53 AM
    I made sure I only had the characters required, no spaces. Even went as far as just copying the code only, no top and bottom banners. No dice. Gave it a couple more tries today, still no dice. Figures. That's my luck. Is there anything else that might affect it?

sent from my EVO One using mind beam.
    07-13-2012 11:56 PM
    Make sure you have all of the required drivers. IIRC, there are 3 links at the upper right of the HTCDEV page. Even if you think you already have them, load what they tell you to load.
    If all else fails, you can try Regaw's one click method. It will root, unlock, and install TWRP. It's ok to run if you're already rooted.

07-14-2012 05:33 AM
    I went thru each download link and reloaded the software required. Rebooted the laptop twice. I'm completely stock. Ran the RUU just before I took the OTA. Triple checked and went thru the procedure line by line and still have not had any success. I'll keep trying. Just frustrating and makes me sad. On the plus side, phone does seem a little better after the update. Just hope there's a simple method for root. I need noob proof methods. maybe my phone is just stubborn and doesn't want to play. Just wanted to see if I'm the only one who's tried to Dev unlock after the update and whether or not they where successful. Thanks. And thanks for the suggestions.

07-14-2012 12:50 PM
    Oh, I missed the part where you said you took the OTA before trying to dev unlock. It very well may be that HTC needs to update the unlocker for the new HBoot. In that case my advice to try Regaw Mod is invalid; it only works pre-OTA. You're pretty much stuck where you are for now. Sorry.
    07-14-2012 01:41 PM
    It's extremely sensitive to how you copy the token over. Make sure you didn't grab any extra characters or a space at the end. It took me 3 tries.
    If you didn't already know, unlocking performs a full wipe and factory reset, so back everything up before trying again if you haven't done so already.
    Once you're unlocked, the easiest way to get recovery is install Goo Manager from the play store. Once in, tap menu then install open recovery script. This will download and install the latest version of TWRP.
    Now you can download and flash the stock rooted ROM in the rooting ROMs and hacks subforum here.
    Good luck!

I thought you could flash via fastboot. What's easier than that?

07-14-2012 04:02 PM

Six one way, half a dozen the other.

07-14-2012 04:21 PM

Well, yeah, that was the whole point of me trying to HTC Dev unlock...but if that part isn't working for me, then I'm S.O.L. until new root methods are achieved on the new OTA update.

07-14-2012 04:47 PM
    Well, yeah, that was the whole point of me trying to HTC Dev unlock...but if that part isn't working for me, then I'm S.O.L. until new root methods are achieved on the new OTA update.

It has to work. Lol. That's the whole point of it. Hmmm. I haven't done it yet.

07-14-2012 07:38 PM
    It has to work. Lol. That's the whole point of it. Hmmm. I haven't done it yet.

I know, it will...its just a matter of time, and maybe how I hold my tongue when I hit submit. I was so confident it would work. I mean, that's the easiest method in my mind. And its not like I'll ever send my phone to HTC for warranty work anyways. I'll try once more before I go to bed.

07-14-2012 09:42 PM
    I know, it will...its just a matter of time, and maybe how I hold my tongue when I hit submit. I was so confident it would work. I mean, that's the easiest method in my mind. And its not like I'll ever send my phone to HTC for warranty work anyways. I'll try once more before I go to bed.

That's why I got the insurance with sprint. I've sent phones back for warranty to Samsung. But those were samsung phones that fall apart.

07-14-2012 09:59 PM
    Finally worked!. Dunno if it was something on their side, or mine, but finally got HTC Dev Unlock to work on my phone. Now have to read up on flashing twrp and SU. I'm just looking to have root. Got used to not having ads. Have to get rid of bloat too. I've disabled a butt ton of apps, yet they still pop up on the task manager. Not a huge issue, just annoying to me.

07-15-2012 12:27 PM
    Finally worked!. Dunno if it was something on their side, or mine, but finally got HTC Dev Unlock to work on my phone. Now have to read up on flashing twrp and SU. I'm just looking to have root. Got used to not having ads. Have to get rid of bloat too. I've disabled a butt ton of apps, yet they still pop up on the task manager. Not a huge issue, just annoying to me.

Flashing a recovery with fasboot is so easy. Just have fastboot and the recovery in the same folder. Go to command line. Navigate to that folder. The all you gotta do is type fastboot flash recovery (name of the recovery file)

If you run a custom rom you dont have to flash Su. Before you do if your not though you can get into the new recovery before you reboot and it disappears with out Su. So make a back up of the stock Rom without Su so you can always go back to YOUR stock Rom. Flash. Reboot. And then recovery will be gone and you can always get the ota if you wanted to.

07-16-2012 12:49 AM
    Thanks. I found a good step by step at htcevohacks.com. exactly what you said, but with pictures too. it was super easy. They even provided the .zips and files I needed. No longer a ROM virgin. running stock with goodies and a battery circle mod. Due bloated some more, and now I'm super happy...and itchin for more!. Thanks for all the help!

07-16-2012 07:25 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD