Phone bricked while flashing rom, sprint ordered me another one... Anyone with experience with this?

mdiggity

Jul 8, 2011
Visit site
So I was flashing a new rom while at work today and then my phone just stopped working and wouldn't do anything but flash the physical key lights and show the HTC boot screen then shut off again.

I took it into Sprint to see if they could fix it (I know rooting voids the warranty, just hoping for the best outcome), and they didn't know what was wrong with it so they said they would order me another one. It should be coming in tomorrow and I'm expecting that they will have me trade in my current phone.

My question is: If they discover the phone is rooted, will they void the insurance/warranty and require me to pay full price for the new phone? Will they/Can they even check if it's rooted? I'm about 90% sure the phone bricked because I did something wrong in the flashing process, but I'm just wondering if I'm going to be asked to shell out a crap ton of money for an out-of-contract phone.

BlackHawkA4

Drop the Bag
Sep 1, 2010
Visit site
Sounds like you just need to flash the boot.img from the Rom you installed with fastboot.

I guarantee right now if you flash the stock Rom it will work.

Sent from my EVO using Android Central Forums

willistheyounger

Apr 6, 2010
Visit site
I have bricked a few phones and took them to sprint to get a new one and never have I had to pay in the 10 years I have been with Sprint

Sent from my MB855 using Android Central Forums

Husker Z

May 17, 2010
Visit site
So I was flashing a new rom while at work today and then my phone just stopped working and wouldn't do anything but flash the physical key lights and show the HTC boot screen then shut off again.

I took it into Sprint to see if they could fix it (I know rooting voids the warranty, just hoping for the best outcome), and they didn't know what was wrong with it so they said they would order me another one. It should be coming in tomorrow and I'm expecting that they will have me trade in my current phone.

My question is: If they discover the phone is rooted, will they void the insurance/warranty and require me to pay full price for the new phone? Will they/Can they even check if it's rooted? I'm about 90% sure the phone bricked because I did something wrong in the flashing process, but I'm just wondering if I'm going to be asked to shell out a crap ton of money for an out-of-contract phone.

Nope, they'll never know. They will box it up and send it wherever they send faulty phones and you'll never hear a thing.

Only time they void the warranty or anything is if you take it in for an issue you are having and they boot it up and see you are running it rooted. And even then, it depends on the tech. I've had my rooted phones fixed/replaced twice. The last time though the guy brought it back to me and said he can't fix it until I unroot it, but if I did, he would fix it, so I did and they replaced it.