new to rooting, guide to completely root and put on a mod?

curiousmileo

May 10, 2012
Visit site
Hi so im pretty new to rooting and ive seen guides but not a whole comprehensive one. Is there any that show how to s-off, root, unlock, get a recovery and put a rom on it? specifically CM10

also is there a way to un root?

benny3

Flashoholic!!
Sep 2, 2011
Visit site
so i do the regawmod thing, then s-off, then install CM10?

How do i put it on there?
Go HERE and follow the instructions and there is no need to use regawmod, This will get you s-off and then you will need to install a recovery which is how you will install custom roms

genescuff

Jul 11, 2012
Visit site
Go HERE and follow the instructions and there is no need to use regawmod, This will get you s-off and then you will need to install a recovery which is how you will install custom roms

This is great, but if you have a 64-bit OS, it won't work. I was very disappointed when I read that.

genescuff

Jul 11, 2012
Visit site
Dont give up just yet. You can make a 32 bit ubuntu live cd or a bootable flash drive and use the linux method. This does not install ubuntu on your pc it just boots into ubuntu from the cd or flash drive and when you reboot your back on windows

Create a USB stick on Windows | Ubuntu

Burn a DVD on Windows | Ubuntu

Well, that changes everything. I have an ubuntu live cd in 64bit, but it won't take long to make a 32bit.

Trying this tonight. Many thanks.

Sent from my EVO using Android Central Forums

EDIT: Unlimited says you should have at least a 2GB SD card in your phone. I'm going to have to try this another time.

Last edited:

benny3

Flashoholic!!
Sep 2, 2011
Visit site
Well, that changes everything. I have an ubuntu live cd in 64bit, but it won't take long to make a 32bit.

Trying this tonight. Many thanks.

EDIT: Unlimited says you should have at least a 2GB SD card in your phone. I'm going to have to try this another time.

i have seen alot post where it never bothered the sdcard, if anything you can copy your stuff to your pc go s-off and then copy it back

dskwerl

Sep 17, 2010
Visit site
Dont give up just yet. You can make a 32 bit ubuntu live cd or a bootable flash drive and use the linux method. This does not install ubuntu on your pc it just boots into ubuntu from the cd or flash drive and when you reboot your back on windows

Create a USB stick on Windows | Ubuntu

Burn a DVD on Windows | Ubuntu

This seems to be the biggest snag I've seen people encountering along the way. To get S-OFF, you need a 32-bit operating system. If you don't have access to a system that already has 32-bit installed, a Ubuntu LiveCD is unquestionably the way to go. You can use a CD or USB stick to do it, and it gives you a temporary 32-bit operating system to root your phone from. When you're finished, take out the CD/USB stick and reboot and your computer is right back where you started.

More people should be aware that Ubuntu is free and makes an excellent platform for this sort of stuff, while leaving your current setup completely intact.

Va1ha11a

Troll Headhunter
Jun 4, 2011
Visit site
How would I go about flashing a recovery without root? I was of the school of thought that it was done by typing flash_image recovery /sdcard/downloads/nameofrecovery.zip through terminal emulator, but that requires root.

Last edited:

benny3

Flashoholic!!
Sep 2, 2011
Visit site
How would I go about flashing a recovery without root? I was of the school of thought that it was done by typing flash_image recovery /sdcard/downloads/nameofrecovery.zip
You will need your bootloader unlocked, what i do is rename the recovery img to recovery, place it the folder which has fastboot and adb on your pc. plug in your phone and boot it into the bootloader, toggle to fastboot and hit power, you should now have fastboot usb highlighted, you will need a cmd prompt open from your fastboot directory and in the cmd window type
fastboot flash recovery recovery.img
when its done you can toggle down to recovery in the bootloader and hit power and you will go into recovery

Va1ha11a

Troll Headhunter
Jun 4, 2011
Visit site
And than from there flash a rom (yours, cm10, PA) with root. Alright, repartitioning for the linux install (I know I don't need to, but I've been meaning to do so) so i can run a 32 bit OS and use dirtyracun. Will report back if necessary. Thanks for the help Benny.

Sent from my Transformer Prime TF201 using Android Central Forums

benny3

Flashoholic!!
Sep 2, 2011
Visit site
And than from there flash a rom (yours, cm10, PA) with root. Alright, repartitioning for the linux install (I know I don't need to, but I've been meaning to do so) so i can run a 32 bit OS and use dirtyracun. Will report back if necessary. Thanks for the help Benny.

Sent from my Transformer Prime TF201 using Android Central Forums

Yes just copy your rom of choice to the sdcard. Any custom rom will be rooted, you can get a stock rooted also if you want to stay stock

Va1ha11a

Troll Headhunter
Jun 4, 2011
Visit site
Sorry for all the questions, my old phone (optimus s) didn't have a bootloader (unlocked or otherwise) or s-off.

So, which should I get first: htcdev bootloader unlock or dirtyracun s-off?

dskwerl

Sep 17, 2010
Visit site
Sorry for all the questions, my old phone (optimus s) didn't have a bootloader (unlocked or otherwise) or s-off.

If you go to http://unlimited.io and look at DirtyRacun, it's all explained there. Unlocking the bootloader is part of the S-OFF process.

Caleb Morris

Aug 21, 2010
Visit site

I used the HTC EVO Hacks method here: How to Root HTC Evo 4G LTE! [Unlock Bootloader][TWRP Recovery] | HTC Evo 4G Hacks! If you have any questions about installing the drivers, then watch the video, and it will tell you how to update the drivers. If the video doesn't work, then just refresh the site and it should work.

This method just unlocks the bootloader, so you will need to use fastboot or flash image GUI to flash the kernel of the ROM you are wanting to flash. This site helped me with the fastboot method: http://androidforums.com/evo-4g-lte-all-things-root/606748-how-install-kernels-s-h-boot-1-15-a.html

You need to use fastboot first, then reboot into recovery, then wipe everything from TWRP, then flash the ROM you want, (then GAPPS if you are using an AOSP ROM). Using both of these sites helped me out a lot, and I am now running CM10 flawlessly even with S-ON. This is just the method that I used, because Dirty Racun was more complicated than I wanted to work with. But if you have any questions about the HTC EVO hacks method, then just ask me here, and I'll try to help the best way that I can.

Last edited:

Va1ha11a

Troll Headhunter
Jun 4, 2011
Visit site
You will need your bootloader unlocked, what i do is rename the recovery img to recovery, place it the folder which has fastboot and adb on your pc. plug in your phone and boot it into the bootloader, toggle to fastboot and hit power, you should now have fastboot usb highlighted, you will need a cmd prompt open from your fastboot directory and in the cmd window typeFor linux you need to add the following
sudo ./ fastboot flash recovery recovery.img
when its done you can toggle down to recovery in the bootloader and hit power and you will go into recovery
Otherwise thanks though!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
samyblaze