Looks like Sprint has messed up another sleek design again

Raadius

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
Re: Looks like Sprint has F*%&*$ up another sleek design again

Minor? You're way off base. I don't mind that some people may like the look of this phone. But don't call the design changes minor. You could NEVER tell that the Sprint Evo 4G LTE came from the HTC One X, by looking at them.

Here's the changes I see:

1. Aluminum band.
2. Kickstand.
3. Shiny black plastic on back.
4. Glass is flush instead of a very slight curve (sideview).
5. Corners on glass are square, not curved.
6. Area where dedicated buttons are on front is matte, not part of the glass.
7. Not white.
8. Speaker grill is different.
9. The back is flat, with rounded corners, instead of a the back being curvy.
10. Dedicated camera button.

The argument that "the hardware is still good" has merit, because that's what many Android users care about.

The argument that it looks "good" is flat-out wrong. It doesn't look that bad, unless you compare it to the One X, which is the best looking Android phone to date.

Call me shallow, but remember when you saw the first iPhones? How it absolutely looked cool...the HTC One X will get the same reaction. This phone will not.

13 years at Sprint. Maybe I'll get in on the next Republic Wireless beta, then my ugly phone will only cost $19/month.
I agree.

Ill probably leave Sprint and join AT&T just for the white one.

I can understand if the specs on the Sprint version blew the AT&T version out of the water, but its a dead heat. Plus Sprint is not gonna have LTE in my area (Los Angeles) until the second half of 2013, AT&T has LTE here already. Another plus for me. So it comes down to design. AT&T wins. All you guys saying the white one is ugly is the same people lusting after it once it was announced at MWC this year. You're not fooling us.

Oh and if you haven't notice, the AT&T version looks sexy! Sprint REALLY dropped the ball.

EDIT:

htc-one-x-review-65-1020_gallery_post.jpg

Look at this , white beats headphones and AC adapter, this makes the iPhone and any other phone look cheap as hell. Good god HTC why did you up the Sprint version?!

Reactions: crzycrkr

Jay901

Mar 18, 2012
Visit site
Its weird everybodies crying about the new design I actually think its beautiful sucks for you people who don't I love it!!!

ab304945

Dec 20, 2010
Visit site
However the placement of the charging port was pretty stupid...no utilizing the kickstand while charging the phone...I guess my work days just got more productive...Damnit

***Disregard any and all typos as my large thumbs cannot fit the keyboard correctly***

you can have it like this

thumb_tall_evo-4g-lte-23.jpg

ab304945

Dec 20, 2010
Visit site
it simply wouldn't be an evo, if it was the one X look. You can't just take a phone and slap The EVO name on it.

This is the EVO not the One X, if you hate(don't like the evo) then stop complaining and go to AT&T and go get it, we won't miss you.

oversight

May 14, 2010
Visit site
Can't understand why Sprint continues to change the design of a beautiful piece of equipment.. Tired of bricks and plastic slabs..No difference in phones and horrible network speeds its time to go to Tmobile.

Polycarbonate isn't plastic? The One X isn't a plastic slab? Pretty easy solution, don't buy the EVO LTE and switch to TMO.

spokenwordd

Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
I can't believe this whole thread is people ing about the "drastic" design change over the HTC One X. Apparently my idea of drastic is not the same. The two phones look similar, they are different colors and the One X has that damed fish eyed camera lens.

I personally find the color better on the One X but prefer the specs, material and design a bit better with the EVO 4G LTE. I could understand ing about specs or hell even the battery dilemna but the colors??? WTF? Get over it they are designed from the same mold with very minor differences.

Hello people these phones have a bad ass camera that can take 99 pics in like 20 secs. We are arguing over color?

Sprint has its issue right now, my main gripe being getting the damn network up to speed but I wouldn't switch over to AT&T or Verizon unless it was free. And T-Mobile is only as good as where they have strong coverage zones even though they are not a bad company.

I'll be sticking with Sprint, mourning the non-removable battery and pre ordering the EVO 4G LTE next month. Either of them are true monsters and would make a great phone.

Have not hear anything first hand about the speaker volume yet but I hope to GOD that they gave us good speakers. The EVO 3D volume sucks.

Jay901

Mar 18, 2012
Visit site
it simply wouldn't be an evo, if it was the one X look. You can't just take a phone and slap The EVO name on it.

This is the EVO not the One X, if you hate(don't like the evo) then stop complaining and go to AT&T and go get it, we won't miss you.

Very well said!!!

BigDinCA

Jun 7, 2011
Visit site
Re: Looks like Sprint has F*%&*$ up another sleek design again

Minor? You're way off base. I don't mind that some people may like the look of this phone. But don't call the design changes minor. You could NEVER tell that the Sprint Evo 4G LTE came from the HTC One X, by looking at them.

Here's the changes I see:

1. Aluminum band.
2. Kickstand.
3. Shiny black plastic on back.
4. Glass is flush instead of a very slight curve (sideview).
5. Corners on glass are square, not curved.
6. Area where dedicated buttons are on front is matte, not part of the glass.
7. Not white.
8. Speaker grill is different.
9. The back is flat, with rounded corners, instead of a the back being curvy.
10. Dedicated camera button.

The argument that "the hardware is still good" has merit, because that's what many Android users care about.

The argument that it looks "good" is flat-out wrong. It doesn't look that bad, unless you compare it to the One X, which is the best looking Android phone to date.

Call me shallow, but remember when you saw the first iPhones? How it absolutely looked cool...the HTC One X will get the same reaction. This phone will not.

13 years at Sprint. Maybe I'll get in on the next Republic Wireless beta, then my ugly phone will only cost $19/month.

Yeah, way to not pay attention to anything. I posted that before the official announcement, as we were all just killing time here waiting for it to go down. If you actually read through the thread at all you would have seen a lot of people changing their line of thinking once it was announced.

Also, you were wrong on a couple of things:

There is no aluminum band around the side. It is a chassis machined from one solid piece of aluminum. They just chose to polish the side instead of paint it or anodize it. They wanted it to look different than the back of the phone. I'm not saying I like the look or not, just that you're wrong.

The One X does not have curved glass. It's an optical illusion when you look at it from the side. The sides are scooped out as the reach the center of the display edge. I love that look and wish they had kept it for the new EVO, but they didn't. That doesn't change the fact that you were wrong.

While you are correct in the new EVO not being white, neither is every One X HTC makes. Check the HTC site and you will see them in black and gray as well.

And I got confused when you said initially that "I don't mind that some people may like the look of this phone.", only to end by saying "The argument that it looks "good" is flat-out wrong.". Which is it? Are we entitled to our own opinions or only to yours?

Tonio21

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site
This whole thread of arguments more or less can be ended with this article: http://www.androidcentral.com/evo-4g-lte-isnt-htc-one-x-—-its-better

Sprint version gets a bigger battery by 200 mAh which may or may not make a difference, micro SD card slot and a dedicated camera button. Design wise, if you want to change the color, heck it's your phone once purchased, paint the dang thing. HTC Evo 4G LTE was never supposed to be the HTC One X, it's dropping as the successor to the original EVO. Oh and I have a Epic Touch right now, plastic like area is quite handy if the phone hits the floor. I have dropped my phone from the front and back ( not paying attention ) and the most damage it has is a small scrape in the top corner.
Oh and any sprint customer should more or less know that HTC and sprint release two versions of the EVO line phones. Black color with whatever and then white a few months later. They don't really advertise this but, it's happened with the past two higher end evo phones (OG EVO and the 3D). I can't remember if the shift got the all white treatment or not.

Just my 2 cents.

Last edited:

hodan

Apr 2, 2011
Visit site
Yeah, way to not pay attention to anything. I posted that before the official announcement, as we were all just killing time here waiting for it to go down. If you actually read through the thread at all you would have seen a lot of people changing their line of thinking once it was announced.

Also, you were wrong on a couple of things:

There is no aluminum band around the side. It is a chassis machined from one solid piece of aluminum. They just chose to polish the side instead of paint it or anodize it. They wanted it to look different than the back of the phone. I'm not saying I like the look or not, just that you're wrong.

The One X does not have curved glass. It's an optical illusion when you look at it from the side. The sides are scooped out as the reach the center of the display edge. I love that look and wish they had kept it for the new EVO, but they didn't. That doesn't change the fact that you were wrong.

While you are correct in the new EVO not being white, neither is every One X HTC makes. Check the HTC site and you will see them in black and gray as well.

And I got confused when you said initially that "I don't mind that some people may like the look of this phone.", only to end by saying "The argument that it looks "good" is flat-out wrong.". Which is it? Are we entitled to our own opinions or only to yours?

Ok, fair enough about the aluminum chasis, I didn't know that. I think the strip would look better black.

About the curved glass, compare side view pics of both phones, and there is a noticeable difference...the One X looks curved to me.

Finally, there is not a contradiction in my post. People can like ugly. People can like bad design. It happens. Like it or not, it's ugly. It reminds me of the Honda Element, unique, functional, but its rabid fanbase is small. Sprint needs to grow its fanbase, and the One X wouldve done that. Just like the iPhone has. This phone won't.

Crispy

Apr 13, 2011
Visit site
Most people would agree the One X looks better. It is a unique design language. Take away the kickstand and the 4GLTE is just another candybar.

Everyone agrees the 4GLTE has better specs.

It's not that hard. We have live with these facts and make our choices based on that. Sprint wanted the phone to look different and they certainly got it. They most likely could not put the bigger battery and sd card slot with the same shell without increasing the thickness.

crzycrkr

May 30, 2010
Visit site
Most people would agree the One X looks better. It is a unique design language. Take away the kickstand and the 4GLTE is just another candybar.

Everyone agrees the 4GLTE has better specs.

It's not that hard. We have live with these facts and make our choices based on that. Sprint wanted the phone to look different and they certainly got it. They most likely could not put the bigger battery and sd card slot with the same shell without increasing the thickness.

Most people do agree. All anyone needs to do is look at the comments on any of the bigger tech sites. Its pretty unanimous that the EVO is fugly compared to the One X. The only people that seem to thing differently are blind EVO supporters and people that think they have no other choice on Sprint.

ohaaron

Mar 17, 2012
Visit site
Most people do agree. All anyone needs to do is look at the comments on any of the bigger tech sites. Its pretty unanimous that the EVO is fugly compared to the One X. The only people that seem to thing differently are blind EVO supporters and people that think they have no other choice on Sprint.

I totally agree. The One X is beautiful and elegant. This thing is tacky at best... especially the freaking back!

Crispy

Apr 13, 2011
Visit site
Its still the best Android phone yet. Are there really people who will not get it because of the changed design?

I'm not happy about the changes, but I put up a poll specifically to ask this, and the response is 100% that people will still get this.

crzycrkr

May 30, 2010
Visit site
Its still the best Android phone yet. Are there really people who will not get it because of the changed design?

I'm not happy about the changes, but I put up a poll specifically to ask this, and the response is 100% that people will still get this.

In fairness, this is the EVO forum. Just a slight bias here, lol

Zookeeper63

Aug 5, 2010
Visit site
Can't understand why Sprint continues to change the design of a beautiful piece of equipment.. Tired of bricks and plastic slabs..No difference in phones and horrible network speeds its time to go to Tmobile.

I like having a unique phone that looks good and stands apart from the rest of the cookie cutter clones. If I wanted the same thing as the :cool:drooling masses I'd get a fruitfone and be as arrogant and uniformed as you are. I'm sure Sprint will not miss you in the least....

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laila Nance