An Open Letter to HTC and Sprint: How About a Compromise?

Daedalus

Dec 30, 2009
Visit site
I am going to chime in again for me I could give a whole flying hoot over the shiny black back, I am more worried over the battery and it not able top be switched out on the fly. Again this goes to Function or Style

crzycrkr

May 30, 2010
Visit site
I am going to chime in again for me I could give a whole flying hoot over the shiny black back, I am more worried over the battery and it not able top be switched out on the fly. Again this goes to Function or Style

I think the point many of us have been making too is that it doesn't need to be function OR style. It can easily be both.

Sent from my Nexus S 4G using Tapatalk 2

BigDinCA

Jun 7, 2011
Visit site
The main body is not poly carbon. It is the micro arc aluminum. So the poly carbon top is a different material.It is a very fine texture. I think if they tried to match the top to the bottom, the texture and color would not match, but would rather clash and look horrid. I think the shiny black needs something to dress it up, maybe a red EVO logo. Then it would like a badge or emblem similar to a badge on a car.

The MAO is only on the One S right now. This is just anodized. They show it in the video on Youtube.

Agree on the EVO logo. Except they don't have one. But I bet they can get one created before launch.

Starfleet Captain

Aug 3, 2010
Visit site
Hi, just got back from class. I am happy that so many people chimed in with their comments. And even though I disagreed with some, I still respect them. I really must say that I appreciate all of the feedback and attention that my letter is getting. I can only hope that the decision makers at Sprint and HTC are paying attention. So, I thank you all for the comments on this thread. Some of the comments that I was going to address have already been done so by other posters. But, anyways, let me tackle some of the big ones:

Why would I write a letter saying that I am going to buy a product, yet requesting that they change it?

Well, as I also states in the letter and has been proven by reading some of the comments in this thread, There are many people who have decided not to buy this phone FOR THIS VERY REASON. For the record, I agree that its a silly reason not to buy a phone, but it seems that this has become a real issue. Furthermore, as other comments have pointed out, the fix is relatively easy. I posted the letter because I want this phone to succeed. I want both companies to be successful and it would be a shame to see that something as minuscule as this would prevent this device from reaching is maximum success potential.

Why not take HTC to task over the Removable battery? Why complain about a back cover?

Because it is far too late in the game to make a major change in design. This is not something that will change. However, seeing how the back is removable with no real apparent function, this seems like a fairly cheap and easy fix.

Why are we whining like a bunch of [removed]

First off, men care as much about style as women, just in an entirely different way. When us men shop for cars, suits, ties, shoes, brief cases, watches, and Televisions, style is very much at play and cvery much considered. This is the same thing. I do prefer function over form, which is why I never owned an iPhone. However, we are now living in an age where we can have our cake and eat it too. We can have both function and form.

Why would HTC spend more money to accommodate the few who are making a big deal of this.

First, its not entirely unprecedented. Many phone manufacturers have bundled interchangeable face plates and back covers and what not in the past. HTC was bundling a nice pair of Beats ear buds at one point. This should not be cost prohibitive for them to pull off and its not too late for them to do it. Secondly, Even those of us that don't mind, would still have to admit that it would be pretty awesome to at least have a different colored option if nothing but to show off the versatility of the device.

Shiny is not a color

Normally, I don't address comments such as these, but in this case, I want to point out that in the context of the sentence, The word "shiny" is an adjective that describes the color, not the name of the color. Replace the word "shiny" with the word "dull". See how that makes sense? Colors can be shiny, dull, bright, dark, and so on... I accept your apology sir.

ohaaron

Mar 17, 2012
Visit site
People are so disrespectful. I'm sorry that the OP had to deal with such pointed criticsm... I guess it's a crime to express your opinion these days. I think the phone looks absolutely awful. It's a shame, because the specs are really nice. I'm with the OP. Plus, it doesn't make you girly for wanting your phone to have nice aesthetics. Really? It's not "manly" to care about how your device looks? :/ It doesn't face you, don't look at it? Wow. That's the kind of sucking up to a company that you hear from Apple's fanbase. This was fair criticism. I think that it's a reasonable request to ask for another cover to be included. How much could that possibly cost them?

Point 2: The vast majority of people care more about what the device looks like than the specs that it comes with. We are the minority. Look at the iPhone... it has awful specs, but it looks pretty damn sexy. It's the best selling phone in the world. I would never own one, but I'll admit that it looks nice. I'd say that the international One X, Galaxy Nexus, SGSII, Lumia 900, and iPhone 4S are the best looking phones out there right now. You guys: Looks sell. You don't hear the Razr being marketed for its specs... it's about how "impossibly thin" it is.

Last edited:

neoenigma

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
IT's not just the shiny part that bothers me but the entire design change they made from the One X. I'd still rather have the white One X than this.... and I Just might be switching over to AT&T to get it. This phone is just.... too ugly... and I've wanted the One X ever since I first laid eyes on it. It's so gorgeous.

meyerweb#CB

Banned
Sep 4, 2009
Visit site
I simply can't believe people are getting so worked up over such a trivial thing. I mean, really, get a life people! It's a phone, not a necktie. Heck, come to think of it, most people's neck ties are way uglier than any phone.

harriskathym

Feb 21, 2010
Visit site
I'm with the other posters, I plan to put my phone in some type of case almost immediately. As long as I can access the kickstand and camera doens't get blocked, it makes no difference to me what it looks like....I plan to change that with covers. Would like to see it in White before I am ready to buy.

DavidJ726

Dec 12, 2009
Visit site
Hi, just got back from class. I am happy that so many people chimed in with their comments. And even though I disagreed with some, I still respect them. I really must say that I appreciate all of the feedback and attention that my letter is getting. I can only hope that the decision makers at Sprint and HTC are paying attention. So, I thank you all for the comments on this thread. Some of the comments that I was going to address have already been done so by other posters. But, anyways, let me tackle some of the big ones:

Why are we whining like a bunch of

First off, men care as much about style as women, just in an entirely different way. When us men shop for cars, suits, ties, shoes, brief cases, watches, and Televisions, style is very much at play and cvery much considered. This is the same thing. I do prefer function over form, which is why I never owned an iPhone. However, we are now living in an age where we can have our cake and eat it too. We can have both function and form.

As a man I'm going to disagree with you. I don't think style is at play for men as much as you seem to indicate. The only complaint I ever hear about phones from guys is battery life, never about how it looks. Never. And never once have I heard anyone comment about how ugly of a phone they have, or that the person next to them has an ugly phone. Never. We might laugh at them 'cause they're carrying a blackberry, but that's about it.

We're talking about a PHONE, it's not jewelry, it's not an accessory, it's not a status symbol, It's a phone.

David...

crzycrkr

May 30, 2010
Visit site
We're talking about a PHONE, it's not jewelry, it's not an accessory, it's not a status symbol, It's a phone.

David...

As a man I'll disagree with you. You could say the same thing about a car. Its a tool to get you from here to there. I still want to like the way my car looks, and not just how it drives. If you truly looked at it as just a phone, you probably wouldn't be on these forums.

ab304945

Dec 20, 2010
Visit site
As a man I'll disagree with you. You could say the same thing about a car. Its a tool to get you from here to there. I still want to like the way my car looks, and not just how it drives. If you truly looked at it as just a phone, you probably wouldn't be on these forums.

excatly.

But you think a car is ugly, you complain about it, you buy a car that you think isnt ugly.

Same with the phone if you think the phone is ugly than don't get it.

crzycrkr

May 30, 2010
Visit site
excatly.

But you think a car is ugly, you complain about it, you buy a car that you think isnt ugly.

Same with the phone if you think the phone is ugly than don't get it.

And that's fine, some of the people that think its ugly won't buy it. Does that mean they can't discuss on a discussion board why they may not buy it and why? As I've said in other threads, the lovers of this device can tell from the titles of the threads if the thread is for or against. If you like it and go into threads about dislikes of it, you are trolling as bad as people bashing it in other threads

DavidJ726

Dec 12, 2009
Visit site

lol.... That's fine, I don't mind the disagreements. But I'm in these forums because I'm interested in the technology, not because I'm interested in the style of a phone.

All I was saying to the OP is that men in general aren't as style conscious as how he portrayed it, especially with the comparison to shoes, briefcases and watches.

Reactions: crzycrkr

crzycrkr

May 30, 2010
Visit site
lol.... That's fine, I don't mind the disagreements. But I'm in these forums because I'm interested in the technology, not because I'm interested in the style of a phone.

All I was saying to the OP is that men in general aren't as style conscious as how he portrayed it, especially with the comparison to shoes, briefcases and watches.

I don't know, I have an affinity for watches, lol

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
planeboy