with only 5 or so markets with LTE this summer, is it worth it?

michael24j

Jan 8, 2011
Visit site
I currently have the Evo 3D, (and the original Evo) and have for almost 2 years gotten use to using 4G wimax. However, I live in an area that probably will not be on a LTE rollout priority list anytime soon. Was wondering if anyone else out there is going to wait to buy this because you will have to return to Sprint's horribly slow 3G network or if you are planning on getting it regardless? I want the new stuff with the phone and really never use the 3D, but I dont think I could live without 4G...

Mofus

May 16, 2010
Visit site
Re: with only 5 or so markets with LTE this summer, is it worth i

What city do you live in? A lot of Wimax cities are in the first round of upgrades. I'm not talking about the officially announced cities, but the cities they are actively transitioning right now. Go to Community Blog List - Sprint 4G Rollout Updates to check if your city is being worked. Seems like first round cities should be done by the end of summer, and second round cities by around the end of the year.

elvis077

Sep 13, 2011
Visit site
I had the evo and the 3d on both launch days. Even though wimax was available on day one, I can count the number of times I used 4g on 1 of the simpsons' hands (they only have 3 fingers Im pretty sure) and that was for novelty.. So not a huge deal at all for me, though it would be nice if it worked out of the box.

Snowcrash45

Mar 28, 2012
Visit site
Having been an evo no4g user since day 1 in michgan. No. Don't trust anything sprint says. Just switched to a razr maxx on Verizon and loving 4G coverage everywhere I go.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

hmmm

Nov 30, 2010
Visit site

I'd get it. I use my phone on wifi most of the time anyway and the 3G signal in my hospital is full due to boosters they have or something that allows me to get full signal in the basement (under ground). Having said that I am in the Minneapolis area and hope we get it soon. I'd like to test it out :) That map in the link Mofus posted makes it look like they could easily jump to this area soon.

svargas05

May 17, 2010
Visit site

Sprint plans to have a full nationwide rollout of LTE by the end of 2013.

If you don't live in a major city, and that worries you, then don't buy it. I, personally, think the device itself is worth it.

I also live in Dallas, one of the first launch markets, though.

Reactions: yibrushn

jhilker

Trusted Member
Sep 21, 2009
Visit site
I'm planning on getting it. I had original EVO, and moved to 3D on its launch date. I'm still not able to use 4G. No big deal for me. The specs for the phone look strong even without 4G.

Reactions: yibrushn

WeGlobal

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site

I'm north of Syracuse, and I already have enough trouble just getting good call coverage on Sprint. LTE or not, I will still get this phone and abuse LTE whenever I'm in Syracuse.

jalaazul

Feb 17, 2011
Visit site
Sprint plans to have a full nationwide rollout of LTE by the end of 2013.

If you don't live in a major city, and that worries you, then don't buy it. I, personally, think the device itself is worth it.

I also live in Dallas, one of the first launch markets, though.

I don't have a chance of getting 4g where I live, probably won't get LTE, specs of phone still worth getting! :thumbup::D

Sent from my EVOlved View via Tapatalk

crow11ad

Jul 8, 2010
Visit site

I had the original Evo and used the 4G at work. I live in the Dallas and will be getting rid of the iPhone 4s to back to Android.

michikade#AC

Aug 30, 2011
Visit site
I'm getting it on specs alone.

Course, I'm another in Dallas, so by the time I get the phone I should have LTE coverage, so I'm looking forward to it. (my upgrade is in October)

Sent from my 3VO using Tapatalk 2

NYCHitman1

Jun 25, 2011
Visit site

Honestly, I live in NY (obviously) and I would be getting the EVOLTE regardless of LTE rolling out at it's release. I have the 3VO and OG, but I never even touch WiMAX. I'm 99.9% around a stable and extremely fast WiFi, so I have no use for it. Specs alone, the device is a beast.

hotbbq

Apr 9, 2010
Visit site

By the time LTE coverage exists where I live they will already be touting 6G in first tier markets.

p1eric

May 17, 2010
Visit site

I live in north Dallas and I am planning to pre-order the E4GLTE. If I did not live in a LTE city though I would absolutley wait. Sprint's 3G is incredibly slow in the area around my office building. Unusable. And wi-max in unreliable inside the building. My hope is that LTE will be available in the same places that wi-max is currently available, but will penetrate the buildng better. If not, it's going to be painful.

Sprint 3G in North Dallas...

Raadius

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site

It doesn't bother me as much as it should, being that I live in a huge phone market and won't see LTE till mid 2013. That part sucks.

I feel we should be one of the main key cities to be lit up first, lol.

NYCHitman1

Jun 25, 2011
Visit site

It doesn't bother me as much as it should, being that I live in a huge phone market and won't see LTE till mid 2013. That part sucks.

I feel we should be one of the main key cities to be lit up first, lol.

Who told you that LA was getting lit up in mid 2013? The metro area of LA should be lit around Christmas later this year if all things go as planned, I assume.

mboogie1

Apr 13, 2012
Visit site

I'm waiting and holding onto my Photon 4g. 3G in DC is way too slow and incapable of handling heavy use. I know wimax isn't nearly as fast as LTE, but it's significantly faster than 3g - at least in the DC area.

I don't know why they would start with KC and Baltimore, but omit DC. There's more people in the DC metropolitan area and its more dense and has less skyscrapers to interfere with the signals. Here's hoping that DC gets LTE soon...

DizWhiz

Jul 1, 2010
Visit site

By the time LTE coverage exists where I live they will already be touting 6G in first tier markets.

I live in NW Indiana just outside of their "BEST" 3G/4G coverage so I feel your pain. Right now Verizon has 4G coverage in my area so despite Sprint being much cheaper with my wife's discount I just cannot justify spending $200 on another "4G" Sprint device that I cannot take advantage of.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rockpaperreality36