LTE in Los Angeles

rexdeaz

Aug 26, 2010
Visit site
Took my 3D in for service to a Sprint store here in LA and I figured since I was there I might as well ask a few questions about the EVO 4G LTE and when it might actually work as intended. The rep at the store seemed very knowledgeable, as if they have been coached on this thoroughly. He let me know that 1.) LTE won't be out in LA until December at the earliest. Much like the original EVO got WIMAX a few months before it's official release, the LTE network will follow suit, with the actual "release" coming in mid-2013. 2.) The new IPhone's release is somehow tied to this release window as well. He said with certainty that the new IPhone would have LTE and Sprint needed to have LTE ready in time for that. 3.) This is something some of you might already be aware of, but, the 3G speed increase is directly tied into the timing of the LTE rollout. Sprint will not increase 3G in your area until you have LTE as well. Something to consider for those looking to get the EVO 4G LTE. I really can't see giving up WIMAX just for a prettier picture and a better camera. Now knowing this I'll probably keep my 3D until the end of the year.

Reactions: KoukiFC3S

Wiley_11

May 10, 2011
Visit site
I think I'll be hanging on to my E3D until LTE is rolled out. I don't see the draw for an LTE phone with no LTE coverage. :confused:

May 16, 2011
Visit site
3g speeds at my home have greatly improved, does that mean that a network vision upgrade was done to my nearest cell tower and that lte should be available at my house as well?

rexdeaz

Aug 26, 2010
Visit site
3g speeds at my home have greatly improved, does that mean that a network vision upgrade was done to my nearest cell tower and that lte should be available at my house as well?

What city do you live in? There is always the chance your city might get LTE in the middle of the year. There's a website, the name escapes me, that details the cities getting LTE early.

dadavises

Apr 22, 2010
Visit site
I'm in a suburb of Chicago and my 3G speeds have improved. I've also read the Chicago is one of the unofficial LTE areas that will available next. Still getting the phone anways. My 4G is dying a slow death

dhoshman

May 16, 2010
Visit site
Im in Ontario (California) and my 3g speeds are def getting better (1-2mbs). And were in the second tier so something is def going on. But i will be holding on to my epic 4g touch instead of selling to get a new device as i usually do. Transition periods are tuff. This does make me think that they would want to push the release date as far as reasonably possible to stall for time to deploy lte though.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 2 Beta-5