Galaxy Nexus vs HTC Evo 4G LTE; Why the Evo?

Mikey47

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
And just so we know Pannous Voice Actions for Android was released in October of 2010. Not sure when Vlingo was released but Voice Actions (now called Jeannie) was released well before Siri was.

Mercury81

Jan 26, 2012
Visit site
OK, I'll enlighten you. You're just another victim of Apple's over-the-top marketing.

I just opened "Jeannie" on my EVO (one of several voice apps for Android), asked your example question "Do I need my umbrella today" and it told me the weather forecast. Yep, exactly as Siri can do.

And when I just said "Wake me up in 30 minutes", Jeannie replied "OK, I will wake you up in 30 minutes" and set the alarm. No drama, no stupid Siri beeps, no fanfare.

I've carried on continuous two-way conversations about a variety of subjects with Jeannie, and my iPhone 4s toting friend often gets meaningless replies when he tries the same queries with Siri. He is not so impressed with his iPhone anymore :'(

So, with all due respect, I will confidently argue that your statement "There is NO virtual voice assistant as intelligent, and as useful as Siri" is pure bluster. :p

Oh, and moving back to the original topic, I will definately be going with the EVO 4G LTE after 2 years of thoroughly enjoying my EVO 4G.

+1 I have Eva and she's better than Siri also.... Android rules!

sent from Evo4G using Tapatalk

Crispy

Apr 13, 2011
Visit site
One possible advantage the Nexus has is that its trivial to root (since its supported by Google). HTC One series still doesn't have S-OFF and there are some major concerns in the dev community about recovery being locked etc.

Glenn

Nov 2, 2010
Visit site
My reasons for wanting the HTC Evo 4G LTE instead of the Galaxy Nexus:
  1. I don't like Samsung phones--some friends have had very bad experiences with them.
  2. No expandable memory slot for the Galaxy Nexus; I already have a 32GB card that I'm currently using on my Evo 4G.
  3. Reviews on the battery life of the HTC One X have been favorable so far, and the E4GLTE is basically a One X with bigger-capacity battery and more energy-efficient CPU (or the same for the US version).
  4. Kickstand.
  5. Everything I've read suggests that the E4GLTE's camera will be better.
  6. Ditto with the display, especially in sunlight.

Officerpolabear

Jan 16, 2011
Visit site
One possible advantage the Nexus has is that its trivial to root (since its supported by Google). HTC One series still doesn't have S-OFF and there are some major concerns in the dev community about recovery being locked etc.

I'm concerned about this as well. I want it so that the Evo 4G LTE won't be a huge pain in the ass to root.

Reactions: mobius1484

Go Android!

Apr 20, 2010
Visit site
Yea...I'm a hypocrite, so I got the Galaxy Nexus. Its screen is gorgeous and I love the clean buttonless look of the phone. My plan was to return it for the Evo LTE, but I started to fall for it.

But the downsides: Battery life SUCKS! Worst than my Evo 3D. And it lags A LOT. Worst than my Evo 3D, too. So I realized that I can't spend my upgrade on something that isn't better and preordered the Evo LTE :).

klau25

Dec 15, 2009
Visit site
Yea...I'm a hypocrite, so I got the Galaxy Nexus. Its screen is gorgeous and I love the clean buttonless look of the phone. My plan was to return it for the Evo LTE, but I started to fall for it.

But the downsides: Battery life SUCKS! Worst than my Evo 3D. And it lags A LOT. Worst than my Evo 3D, too. So I realized that I can't spend my upgrade on something that isn't better and preordered the Evo LTE :).

wow, I was exactly like you. I liked the gn a lot, but returned it for the same reasons as yours. plus I really couldn't stand the camera on the gn.

Sent from my Nexus S 4G using Android Central Forums

dtreo

May 4, 2010
Visit site
wow, I was exactly like you. I liked the gn a lot, but returned it for the same reasons as yours. plus I really couldn't stand the camera on the gn.

Sent from my Nexus S 4G using Android Central Forums

My GNex is going back due to the terrible radios. The handoffs between 3G and WiFi are ridiculous and the WiFi needs to be manually turned off and on to get it to work. The 3G signal is awful where my EVO OG does just fine. Too bad since I really like the overall use and design of the GNex, but the signal issues are horrid. Samsung. I should have known.

EVO LTE. Hope it's a better experience. (and a kickstand will be nice again)

P.S. go read the VZW GNex forum and they complain about the same radio issues. Too bad. What a waste of a possibly great phone.

Slayix312

May 19, 2010
Visit site
Loved my OG EVO, like my EVO 3D, and have already pre-ordered the EVO LTE. Can't wait to continue with the EVO family, personally.

I have been somewhat disappointed with the EVO 3D in the ROM department. Especially the fact that not ONE solid reliable CM rom has ever come out. The best ones I have seen are all in the Alpha phase which obviously isn't very good to use as a daily.

Hoping the EVO LTE fixes this and gets solid CM9 support. Drooling over a fully functional AOSP CM rom!

That is the only downside I have ever had from the EVO family. That is in comparison to the horrible track record I have with Samsung and my old instank, friend's conquer, and gf's epic 4g. Told myself after the instank that I would never buy another POS Samsung phone again.

ian3047#AC

Feb 21, 2011
Visit site
I got the Galaxy Nexus and will keep it over the EVO 4G LTE.

I came from the old EVO 4G, which had little problems, typical for any HTC I owned. Little things like the power buttons failing etc on several of my last phones. So no more HTC products for me.

I will say the screen on the new EVO LTE is amazing and is the only selling point to me over the Nexus. I prefer the Nexus for so many reasons but here are a few of them.

Removable battery.
Usable large internal memory not partitioned (only 2GB for apps on new EVO)
Un-skinned (No sense) pure Android.
A more direct and better chance for updates.
Form factor / layout.

I will say this both my Nexus phones have just worked, and worked great. I get the same signal as my old EVO and my GPS actually works better. My battery I get 9-14 hours of moderate to heavy use. Of course you can change to a new one if you had to, it's an option. The HD display is amazing, and while it may not be quite what the new HTC's have it is very close and top of the line. I also find the camera to take very impressive pictures, even while shooting video. Now HTC has drastically improved the cameras as well but this 5MP (for a phone) is amazing and unless you have to have the extra mega pixels for print work or super enlargements I'm happy with this shooter for now. The pure android has been great and many of the quirks I hated about sense are gone. I just feel it makes things cleaner and more snappy when your not re layering things. The Nexus is very fast with very very few spots where you might see a lag.

I think most complaints like a lot of things in the tech world are user inflicted. Like a PC if you have the wrong apps doing the wrong things it will slow down and effect speed and reliability. On a phone the battery life also becomes a factor also. Many users contaminate their phones with software or don't configure things properly and then blame the hardware. I have friends bringing phones to me all the time saying their email or GPS doesn't work, and I find out they just installed something like juice defender.

While the EVO LTE will certainly be successful I think I will be sticking to the nexus line from now on.

Quis89

Q&A Team
Oct 15, 2009
Visit site
Whoa there pardner. You think Siri is the "original"? Hardly. There were many examples of this type of software LONG be forever Apple put it on the iPhone. And yes I mean on Android as well as other platforms (not just mobile).

I didnt say it was "original". I said, "Even if we hate its origins" as in hate where it came from...as in hate Apple. Which our OS-centric attitudes have led us to do.

OK, I'll enlighten you. You're just another victim of Apple's over-the-top marketing.

I just opened "Jeannie" on my EVO (one of several voice apps for Android), asked your example question "Do I need my umbrella today" and it told me the weather forecast. Yep, exactly as Siri can do.

And when I just said "Wake me up in 30 minutes", Jeannie replied "OK, I will wake you up in 30 minutes" and set the alarm. No drama, no stupid Siri beeps, no fanfare.

I've carried on continuous two-way conversations about a variety of subjects with Jeannie, and my iPhone 4s toting friend often gets meaningless replies when he tries the same queries with Siri. He is not so impressed with his iPhone anymore :'(

So, with all due respect, I will confidently argue that your statement "There is NO virtual voice assistant as intelligent, and as useful as Siri" is pure bluster. :p

Oh, and moving back to the original topic, I will definately be going with the EVO 4G LTE after 2 years of thoroughly enjoying my EVO 4G.

I said, "Out of the box"...but ok. I guess thats the difference between iOS and Android...if you want something that works pretty well out of the box...go iPhone. If you want something that you have to build to work how you want it...go Android.

"No stupid siri beeps"? Lol...how is the beep relevant? You're just riding Android now, lol. I love both systems. Both have their pros and cons. Maybe thats my problem. I see the highs and lows of both where as you seem to justify the lows of your preferred choice.

This is cute, lol. That goes both ways though...I showed my buddy the fact that I havent had to restart my phone since Ive owned it and he was ready to push his Evo 3D to the side. Lol.

meyerweb#CB

Banned
Sep 4, 2009
Visit site
There is NO virtual voice assistant as intelligent, and as useful as Siri. Period. Apple definitely has a leg up there. Anyone who says they wouldn't want that on their phone either hasnt used it or is just too strung on Android. The simple fact that I can say "wake me up tomorrow at 8 AM" is a winner for me. It's so convenient and useful.

No argument that Siri is a step ahead. Unfortunately, based on what the users I know have tro say, it's not really as good as the TV commercials make it look. I hear quite a few complaint about it not understanding the users questions, giving odd answers to something it thinks you asked rather than what you really said, and just not working at all.

It also chews up a ton of data, which is a problem if you don't have an unlimited plan (not an issue on Sprint).

Dplymkr88#AC

Aug 10, 2010
Visit site
Siri is a gimmick, pain and simple. I have seen it used by friends with iPhones and have been very unimpressed. Certainly there is potential there but in its current state, not that impressed.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

giograves

Feb 12, 2011
Visit site
Siri may be a gimmick but apple users swear by it which is all that really matters.

As for a Nexus vs EVO..I'm a sucker for look and feel so I don't need the greatest processor or the best anything. I don't buy 3000 dollar PC's and so I won't buy the equivalent spec beast in the phone world. Happy medium between style, function and the hope of faster updates at least in GSM.

Love curved glass and don't want a slab ever again too!

Sent from my Nexus S 4G using Tapatalk 2

liquidxit2

Jul 20, 2010
Visit site
Well Im torn on this subject too. My current phone is painful to use and my upgrade is thursday. Now I have played witht he galaxy nexus and its an amazing phone, but I have had alot of issues with samsung in the past. My current breakdown of the phones:

HTC EVO 4g LTE

Pros: Everything! This is pretty much the perfect phone (for todays standards) and I have had a great track record with HTC on all my phones through them. Plus the support and accessories are amazing!

Con: Battery built in. This is a HUGE con and I mean HUGE! Sure the LTE radio is integrated into the CPU which is great for battery life. But phones of this caliber are notorious for bad battery life. Granted some days I can carry a small battery pack, but I cant every day and having my phone not last is not a good thing.

Galaxy nexus

Pros: Pretty much everything. The phone has been a blast to use at the store (and those floor models are notorious for lag and issues). I love the flow of ICS and never had an issue with touchwiz although Im a big sense fan.

Cons: Battery life, build quality, non expandable storage. The battery life has always been an issue with samsung phones, but the ability to get an extended battery or carry extra batteries is a plus. As always plastic materials. While the phone feels fine and seems durable, the plastic is a bit of a turn off. The lack of expandable storage isnt terrible but still a definite issue since Im down to 2GB of space on my current 16GB card which means Id fill the space of the galaxy immediately.

Conclusion:

If the new evo had a replaceable battery it would be a no brainer, but being limited to how long I can work away from a charger and/or having to lug around a battery pack is a big concern for me. Now if the new evo can get a full day on moderate to heavy use then its not a concern as by midnight I will have it on the charger. Hopefully the battery reports will come in soon so I can preorder or get the galaxy.

Mikey47

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
I said, "Out of the box"...but ok. I guess thats the difference between iOS and Android...if you want something that works pretty well out of the box...go iPhone. If you want something that you have to build to work how you want it...go Android.

But see, that is the key difference. With iOS, you may get the simplicity of out-of-the-box, but you get the handcuffs of only getting what they give you. As you say with android, you can get it to work the way you want it to.

giograves

Feb 12, 2011
Visit site
But see, that is the key difference. With iOS, you may get the simplicity of out-of-the-box, but you get the handcuffs of only getting what they give you. As you say with android, you can get it to work the way you want it to.

Whenever I bring this up to my iPhone circles, the counter argument is just jailbreak it.

Sent from my Nexus S 4G using Tapatalk 2

donntiger

Oct 1, 2011
Visit site
There is NO virtual voice assistant as intelligent, and as useful as Siri. Period. Apple definitely has a leg up there. Anyone who says they wouldn't want that on their phone either hasnt used it or is just too strung on Android. The simple fact that I can say "wake me up tomorrow at 8 AM" is a winner for me. It's so convenient and useful.

I have a alarm clock for that and it takes all of 5 seconds to set it.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gkapidis