Galaxy Nexus vs HTC Evo 4G LTE; Why the Evo?

PookiePrancer

Jul 17, 2010
Visit site
There is NO virtual voice assistant as intelligent, and as useful as Siri. Period. Apple definitely has a leg up there. Anyone who says they wouldn't want that on their phone either hasnt used it or is just too strung on Android. The simple fact that I can say "wake me up tomorrow at 8 AM" is a winner for me. It's so convenient and useful.

Holy crap. You know you can do that, and more, with Android, right? I'm dumbfounded by your comment.

Quis89

Q&A Team
Oct 15, 2009
Visit site
Not that I would not like that feature, but most people wake up at the same time everyday.

Additionally tell me four other things that you speak naturally to your phone on that you actually use, and works.

It's a gimmick, I'm not going to have a conversation with my phone, it's not going to help me play guitar, it's not going to get me a girlfrend, and no my phone will never call me 'rock god'.

I plan on holding out until I see what the next iPhone offers before I make my next smartphone purchase. I genuinely don't know what I'm getting next.

On a side note, try saying "navigate to Target" and see what the iPhone does. Lol.

4 things? Ok

1. Wake me up tomorrow morning at 9:00 am
2. Remind me to check my schedule when I get to work
3. Tell my wife to call me
4. Play "Watch The Throne"
5. Change my alarm to 9:45 tomorrow morning
6. Remind me to call my mom when I leave here

The list goes on. Siri is not without flaw but you have to be an Android Stan/iPhone hater to deny its use. Even if it's minimal.

PookiePrancer

Jul 17, 2010
Visit site
I have the NS4G and the Evo 3D. Prove to me I can do everything I can do with Siri and more and I'll be impressed.

I don't think you have either, but if you do, you don't know how to use them. Others have already given examples, including what you implied couldn't be done, so I won't bother. Now, can you have a dumb conversation with an Android phone? No, and I'm cool with that (well, you can with the right apps).

Back on topic though, Evo LTE by a long shot.

Last edited:

Quis89

Q&A Team
Oct 15, 2009
Visit site
I don't think you have either, but if you do, you don't know how to use them. Others have already given examples, including what you implied couldn't be done, so I won't bother. Now, can you have a dumb conversation with an Android phone? No, and I'm cool with that (well, you can with the right apps).

Back on topic though, Evo LTE by a long shot.

Lmao. Why would I lie about the phones I use. Out of the box tell me how I can say "do I need my umbrella today?" and my Android devices will give me the weather. Or say "wake me up in 30 minutes" and my Android phone will set my alarm.

Please enlighten me since I obviously don't know what I'm doing.

klau25

Dec 15, 2009
Visit site
Lmao. Why would I lie about the phones I use. Out of the box tell me how I can say "do I need my umbrella today?" and my Android devices will give me the weather. Or say "wake me up in 30 minutes" and my Android phone will set my alarm.

i don't need to ask my phone if i need an umbrella cause i can see the weather widget on the desktop. in fact it gives me 3 days weather forecast right there. which one do you think is faster? looking at the widget on my desktop or push and hold the home botton, wait for it to search the server, then come back and tell you if you need an umbrella? another problem with siri, it doesn't work as well in a loud place. i mess with my friend all the time when he tries to show off siri, i just yell random words next to him. i think siri is still a work in progress. it's useful while you drive, but i still don't like the idea of speaking into a phone unless i am talking to someone else. this is especially awkward in public, it's almost as bad as people who always wear their bluetooth headset. haha. another fault w/ siri is that, when the server is busy, it doesn't work a lot. right now to me, it's still gimmicky

ok, sorry for going off topic again. i currently has the galaxy nexus, but i am pretty sure i will sell it when the evo comes out and get that instead. i like the gn a lot, but can't stand the camera. the evo display and camera is a big plus for me. and in a weird and strange way, i actually kind of miss sense. haha.

Quis89

Q&A Team
Oct 15, 2009
Visit site
i don't need to ask my phone if i need an umbrella cause i can see the weather widget on the desktop. in fact it gives me 3 days weather forecast right there. which one do you think is faster? looking at the widget on my desktop or push and hold the home botton, wait for it to search the server, then come back and tell you if you need an umbrella? another problem with siri, it doesn't work as well in a loud place. i mess with my friend all the time when he tries to show off siri, i just yell random words next to him. i think siri is still a work in progress. it's useful while you drive, but i still don't like the idea of speaking into a phone unless i am talking to someone else. this is especially awkward in public, it's almost as bad as people who always wear their bluetooth headset. haha. another fault w/ siri is that, when the server is busy, it doesn't work a lot. right now to me, it's still gimmicky

ok, sorry for going off topic again. i currently has the galaxy nexus, but i am pretty sure i will sell it when the evo comes out and get that instead. i like the gn a lot, but can't stand the camera. the evo display and camera is a big plus for me. and in a weird and strange way, i actually kind of miss sense. haha.

You forgot the part about waking me up in 30 minutes...

I guarantee this much...if Siri was on Android you would all have a different tune. I'm not saying Apple is better than Android. I'm saying Siri has uses beyond whatever gimmick you guys call it. Of course it's a work in progress. It's still in beta. But I do enjoy using it. I will be getting the Evo LTE upon release though.

Watching Android/Apple boys get defensive is amusing though. Can't we admit when a product is neat? Even if we hate the origins?

PookiePrancer

Jul 17, 2010
Visit site

I guarantee this much...if Siri was on Android you would all have a different tune. I'm not saying Apple is better than Android. I'm saying Siri has uses beyond whatever gimmick you guys call it. Of course it's a work in progress. It's still in beta. But I do enjoy using it. I will be getting the Evo LTE upon release though.

Watching Android/Apple boys get defensive is amusing though. Can't we admit when a product is neat? Even if we hate the origins?

Nobody said it isn't neat, but "somebody" lied that Android couldn't do what it obviously can. That was the issue people had with your comment.

Oh, and "wake me up in 30 minutes" will set your alarm for 30 minutes from the time you say it to the phone.

Last edited:

klau25

Dec 15, 2009
Visit site

I guess we agree with each other. I think siri is neat, but just not there yet. like you said, it's still in beta. I'm no android fan boy. the iphone has its advantages over android that I'm not afraid to admit. the smoothness of the os, the battery life, everything just work with less bugs. for me, I just like the openness and customisation and larger screen more. I'm also a heavy Google user, android Google apps are just so much better on Android. ok, that's all I'm going to say for now. can we just get back on topics?

Last edited:

Hurleygm

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
I guess we agree with each other. I think siri is neat, but just not there yet. like you said, it's still in beta. I'm no android fan boy. the iphone has its advantages over android that I'm not afraid to admit. the smoothness of the os, the battery life, everything just work with less bugs. for me, I just like the openness and customisation and larger screen more. I'm also a heavy Google user, android Google apps are just so much better on Android. ok, that's all I'm going to say for now. can we just get back on topics?

You hit the nail on the head. Customization! Different items on different screens. Widgets. A settings menu in every app. The list goes on and on. iPhones are great for people who want something out of the box that works. I am just not the type of person who wants something that just works. I want something that works the way I want it to.

Siri is very intuitive, but if you take a couple minutes to set up an android it can do what siri does and more!

gabbott

Trusted Member
Mar 22, 2010
Visit site
There is NO virtual voice assistant as intelligent, and as useful as Siri. Period. Apple definitely has a leg up there. Anyone who says they wouldn't want that on their phone either hasnt used it or is just too strung on Android. The simple fact that I can say "wake me up tomorrow at 8 AM" is a winner for me. It's so convenient and useful.

I can hit the mic button on the homescreen of my stock Galaxy Nexus and say "set alarm 8am" and it does the exact same thing. Just sayin.

Mikey47

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
Even if we hate the origins?

Whoa there pardner. You think Siri is the "original"? Hardly. There were many examples of this type of software LONG be forever Apple put it on the iPhone. And yes I mean on Android as well as other platforms (not just mobile).

Go Android!

Apr 20, 2010
Visit site
Also, one HUGE difference no one has mentioned yet is the processor.

Not the fact that Snapdragon S4 is just a better processor, but LTE is integrated into the processor instead of a separate chip meaning battery life on LTE is going to be significantly better than any 4G (Wimax or LTE) phone to date.

Another big factor is the screen. I'll admit how jealous I am of the Iphone 4/4S screen. Having a phone with a beautiful screen to look at is very important to me.

And it has a better camera, kickstand, Dropbox, Sense 4, Beats, thinness, weight, and a camera button.

The only benefits of the GNex is being stock Android (if you're into that), updates (but it did take at least 5 months for the NS4G to get ICS), removable battery, and the dev community.

Last edited:
Reactions: nate735#AC

klau25

Dec 15, 2009
Visit site
Also, one HUGE difference no one has mentioned yet is the processor.

Not the fact that Snapdragon S4 is just a better processor, but LTE is integrated into the processor instead of a separate chip meaning battery life on LTE is going to be significantly better than any 4G (Wimax or LTE) phone to date.

Another big factor is the screen. I'll admit how jealous I am of the Iphone 4/4S screen. Having a phone with a beautiful screen to look at is very important to me.

And it has a better camera, kickstand, Dropbox, Sense 4, Beats, thinness, weight, and a camera button.

The only benefits of the GNex is being stock Android (if you're into that), updates (but it did take at least 5 months for the NS4G to get ICS), and the dev community.

you pretty much named all the same reasons I want to phone. :thumbup:

keaton h.

Apr 27, 2012
Visit site
Whoa there pardner. You think Siri is the "original"? Hardly. There were many examples of this type of software LONG be forever Apple put it on the iPhone. And yes I mean on Android as well as other platforms (not just mobile).

Yeah and I'm pretty sure here on @AndroidCentral they did an article pertaining to how Siri was more intuitive and user friendly; however, Google Voice was more effective, efficient, and quicker!

On topic: I am really excited about the Evo 4G LTE to come out and I just happen to be fortunate enough my upgrade is June 1st (would be amazing if it was May 18th!). But I believe the real question should be Galaxy S3 or the Evo Lte?? Will it end up being mind blowing enough to wait an additional time span for it or just make the jump to evo?

Go Android!

Apr 20, 2010
Visit site
Yeah and I'm pretty sure here on @AndroidCentral they did an article pertaining to how Siri was more intuitive and user friendly; however, Google Voice was more effective, efficient, and quicker!

On topic: I am really excited about the Evo 4G LTE to come out and I just happen to be fortunate enough my upgrade is June 1st (would be amazing if it was May 18th!). But I believe the real question should be Galaxy S3 or the Evo Lte?? Will it end up being mind blowing enough to wait an additional time span for it or just make the jump to evo?

Well you'll find out in 6 days. But if Samsung doesn't announce the availability of the GSIII by the time the Evo LTE comes out, then I'm getting the Evo. I don't have the patience to wait to wait til June. Plus I can't think of anything mind blowing that the GSIII will have that will make me choose it over the Evo LTE.

tiggrev

Aug 30, 2010
Visit site

OK, I'll enlighten you. You're just another victim of Apple's over-the-top marketing.

I just opened "Jeannie" on my EVO (one of several voice apps for Android), asked your example question "Do I need my umbrella today" and it told me the weather forecast. Yep, exactly as Siri can do.

And when I just said "Wake me up in 30 minutes", Jeannie replied "OK, I will wake you up in 30 minutes" and set the alarm. No drama, no stupid Siri beeps, no fanfare.

I've carried on continuous two-way conversations about a variety of subjects with Jeannie, and my iPhone 4s toting friend often gets meaningless replies when he tries the same queries with Siri. He is not so impressed with his iPhone anymore :'(

So, with all due respect, I will confidently argue that your statement "There is NO virtual voice assistant as intelligent, and as useful as Siri" is pure bluster. :p

Oh, and moving back to the original topic, I will definately be going with the EVO 4G LTE after 2 years of thoroughly enjoying my EVO 4G.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sandersc