I've got the EVO - ask me anything!

RonD

Nov 1, 2010
Visit site
I am not liking the 3G/gps/wifi signal strength of my new Galaxy Nexus. Should I return it tomorrow and get an EVO LTE? Or will the Nexus likely improve with updates?

I just returned a Galaxy Nexus (GSM) after a 14 day trial. The radio's, wi-fi, and GPS are crap. Kept dropping wifi and hotspot. GPS was unusable indoors and slow to lock outdoors, weak radio signals. Don't know if it was hardware or software problems, but it made me fall in love all over with my OG EVO! Killed my interest in anything Samsung.

dtreo

May 4, 2010
Visit site
I just returned a Galaxy Nexus (GSM) after a 14 day trial. The radio's, wi-fi, and GPS are crap. Kept dropping wifi and hotspot. GPS was unusable indoors and slow to lock outdoors, weak radio signals. Don't know if it was hardware or software problems, but it made me fall in love all over with my OG EVO! Killed my interest in anything Samsung.

Thanks. That is exactly what I am seeing and will be returning it. I can't afford to have signal issues like this during business travel use.

Are u getting EVO LTE instead or should we wait?

Reactions: dalex7777

coinmanmat

Mar 14, 2012
Visit site
Ugh I hate Sprint Zone, out of all the garbage bloatware Sprint slaps onto its phones, that app is useless to me. I hope the EVO has the ability to uninstall Sprint bloatware but i doubt that

Last edited:
Reactions: dalex7777

Rodderik

Feb 21, 2011
Visit site
Didn't recognize your hands without all the pink goop on them.

My only hesitation is the embedded battery. Since I'll have to keep this thing for 2 years before my next upgrade, I'm wondering if the battery will hold up that long without pooping out. And, if it does poop out, what will it cost to have it replaced at a repair center, even if they can replace it. If that were to happen, am I protected by the Total Equipment Protection plan? It's not certain if my other choices will even be available on Sprint; the Note and the SG III. The EVO is a great device, but.... Ahhhh...decisions, decisions, decisions. :-\

should be covered by TEP

Reactions: Ntchwaidumela

coinmanmat

Mar 14, 2012
Visit site
Didn't recognize your hands without all the pink goop on them.

My only hesitation is the embedded battery. Since I'll have to keep this thing for 2 years before my next upgrade, I'm wondering if the battery will hold up that long without pooping out. And, if it does poop out, what will it cost to have it replaced at a repair center, even if they can replace it. If that were to happen, am I protected by the Total Equipment Protection plan? It's not certain if my other choices will even be available on Sprint; the Note and the SG III. The EVO is a great device, but.... Ahhhh...decisions, decisions, decisions. :-\

See thats the concern I see with getting the new EVO. It doesnt have a removeable battery which would mean if the battery craps out then the whole phone is shot. Sprint loves to jerk its customers around with the TEP and I could see them telling a customer who's EVO 4G LTE battery crapped out that its considered "customer abuse" and they have to file a claim with Asurion and pay $100 to get a replacement phone.

Wiley_11

May 10, 2011
Visit site
This will be my first new phone since the Palm Pre...considered Windowsphone but ICS looks like it has some webos-ish ingredients. Is that the case?

Matias Duarte the guy responsible for webOS is the brains behind ICS. I had a Pre for 2 years and got an Evo 3D in June and couldn't be happier. If your getting Android here's some fantastic reference material from milominderbinder. It has a section for webOS users. Good luck with your new toy!! :D

http://forums.androidcentral.com/general-help-how/31622-getting-started-android-tips-tricks.html

RonD

Nov 1, 2010
Visit site
Thanks. That is exactly what I am seeing and will be returning it. I can't afford to have signal issues like this during business travel use.
Are u getting EVO LTE instead or should we wait?

I'm going to keep my powder dry for a little while. Sure is tempting though.

On the dropped wifi, I think people are also having dropped wifi on One X, so I'm not sure if it is totally a hardware issue, or partly a ICS problem. It almost seems like the Galaxy Nexus phone goes to sleep or something. I used Foxfi (on t-mobile) in place of the built in hotspot and it was better, but still dropped connections. I was 1/4 mile from a tower and the phone was in a window facing the tower and it was still dropping the wifi hotspot!

Mobilestash

May 10, 2012
Visit site
Pre order it for $150 at wirefly.com.....sweet deal...anyway....i love the search button & hate that they got rid of it. Do you miss it or no biggie?

RonD

Nov 1, 2010
Visit site
If you add an SD card how does it look, is it SD2 or SDext? Can you put apps and data on the SD card or only media?

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pauloxcavalcante