I've got the EVO - ask me anything!

jem286

Apr 11, 2012
Visit site
ya i just did a factory reset on my phone so that might have some thing to do with it. was running the same test last night and was pulling down about 300-600k so try it might help

jpurv

May 18, 2010
Visit site
Since Phil decided to start an AMA and then leave for the evening, allow me to answer all the questions: It's a One X with a removable battery, micro SD card slot and a kickstand on Sprint.

*edit* Also it's available May 18th for the same price as every other smartphone since forever.

Last edited:

dalex7777

Apr 20, 2010
Visit site
Don't work for them, but Best Buy has the best deal: Geek Squad Black Tie protection. $10 ($9.99 + local sales tax) a month, almost no questions asked (had a humidity/liquid question, but I live in Houston so EVERY phone shows up with humid marker inside...LOL).

No deductible, swap for NEW phones in my experience. Both my OG EVO and Epic 4G are covered. Didn't get it with the EVO 3D as I couldn't wait and had to have a day -1 device from Sprint. But have pre-ordered the EVO 4G LTE with Best Buy and will definitely get Geek Squad.

Ep3n3wp

Feb 12, 2011
Visit site
I'm gonna switch to Sprint by the end of the summer, and I need help deciding on a device. The Galaxy Nexus is my current favorite because, well, it's a Nexus. But the EVO LTE and the Galaxy S III are giving it a run for my money. I think I like stock ICS the best, but Samsung's mods on the S III sound good, too, and the EVO LTE is, well, an EVO. I'm worried a future employer might frown upon rooting as a security risk, but I'd like to get the better hardware if I can. So my questions are:

How do the EVO and Nexus compare on...
1. battery life? (I'll probably expand the Nexus battery to 2100 mAh if I get it)
2. 3G connectivity? This is especially important, since where I live, Sprint's coverage map claims solid 3G, but it probably won't get LTE any time soon.
3. software vs. hardware buttons?
4. stock ICS vs. Sense 4? Probably the biggest question in my mind. I don't like Sense's multitasking (fewer apps on screen at a time), but are there other features to make up for it?

He said earlier that he's out and will come back later.

These are the questions I want answers to!!!!
Galaxy Nexus is at the top of my list as of right now and IM eligible for my upgrade on the 18th

Crimson

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
What's with the internal storage showing 2gb and the phone storage ~10gb? Please don't tell me apps are limited to 2gb? Is the full 16GB available (Minus rom and other overhead) for apps? Confused by that screenshot.. my 32GB transformer shows all the space in one chunk. The thing I hate MOST about the Evo was the idiotic decision to limit the internal space to 1GB..

Zach_AC

Mar 18, 2012
Visit site
Side note: I'll be getting the Evo LTE at Best Buy...getting $100 Best Buy giftcard (two $50's) and the phone for $149.99. Pre-ordered today. The Best Buy Mobile manager said he has Zaggs, cases, and other accessories on his inventory list for next Friday! I was first on the list and he laughed at all the deals I'll be getting for the new phone...

Phone Freedom offer = $50 giftcard
OG Evo Trade-In offer = $50 giftcard
Upgrade to new Sprint phone w/ 2-yr agreement offer = $50 off any new phone

I'll be getting the Black-Tie...never had a single issue with my OG Evo though, still the original from release day!

Impulses

Jun 16, 2010
Visit site
What's with the internal storage showing 2gb and the phone storage ~10gb? Please don't tell me apps are limited to 2gb? Is the full 16GB available (Minus rom and other overhead) for apps? Confused by that screenshot.. my 32GB transformer shows all the space in one chunk. The thing I hate MOST about the Evo was the idiotic decision to limit the internal space to 1GB..

Original EVO had less than 1GB, EVO 3D has 1GB reserved for apps I think and it's pretty darn hard to fill unless you insist on installing dozens of large games to phone memory (from what I've seen, a good majority of games these days install to SD automatically or download their data there).

HTC did the dual partition formatting in order to enable standard USB mass storage mounting to PCs, which imo is a LOT more convenient than the MTP protocol tablets and Nexus/stock ICS devices use to transfer stuff to the phone. The downside is split partitions obviously, and the phone not being able to access the extra 10GB or the removable card while connected to a computer.

I believe Samsung's doing the same thing... Personally I think it's a valid compromise, MTP is a kludge and won't transfer half the stuff I feed it, plus it doesn't let you use the phone as a data drive.

IanWizard

May 21, 2011
Visit site
Since Phil decided to start an AMA and then leave for the evening, allow me to answer all the questions: It's a One X with a removable battery, micro SD card slot and a kickstand on Sprint.

*edit* Also it's available May 18th for the same price as every other smartphone since forever.

You obviously don't know the phone very well. At the very least, the battery is NOT removable.

Impulses

Jun 16, 2010
Visit site
As far as insurance goes, I think someone mentioned the deductible is only gonna be $150? That's nice to hear. In addition to that, it's worth mentioning that if all you care about is theft/total loss insurance you DON'T have to pay the full $11...

Sprint's TEP has always been a two part service, half the free ($4 atm) is Asurion's insurance for when the phone's kaput or gone, and the other half is just for free service at Sprint's repair centers... Say you crack a screen but the phone works, or you've got a loose button, that kinda thing can be repaired at some stores and the second half of the TEP makes such a service free.

Personally I don't care much for the repair stuff, so I only pay $4 for Asurion insurance. Not sure if that's going up to $5 or $6 but it's still not much compared to other carrier's insurance or even third party insurance.

Sprint has stopped advertising this much and a lot of people think insurance is an automatic $8 - $11, it's not. You've still got the manufacturer's warrant as well if there's any huge defects within the first year. Sprint's second half of the TEP is totally unnecessary unless you're super clumsy imo.

KoukiFC3S

Oct 9, 2009
Visit site

The 2GB is the one for apps. But can move part of the apps to the internal storage like on gingerbread.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 2

Crimson

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
The 2GB is the one for apps. But can move part of the apps to the internal storage like on gingerbread.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 2

That's kind of lame. Like it all being in one big chunk on my tablet, but I guess I kind of understand why they did it.

kakepner

May 15, 2010
Visit site
HA! $100? You haven't been following the news. The deductible is being raised to "up to $200", remember? That certainly means $200- what phone is more expensive than the Evo LTE? And that is in addition to raising the monthly fee from $8 to $11! I really have no idea what I am going to do about insurance now... I pay for it month after month for YEARS, have *never* made any claim. And if something happens, after paying many hundreds of dollars in monthly fees, they would want to slap me $200 to get some "refurbished" (used) phone, certainly in worse condition than my perfectly kept phones? It is incredibly unfair.

Insure your phone through Squaretrade I believe it is 125 dollars for 2 years and there is a 99 deductible and they repair phone rooted or not up to three times no questions asked. They dont cover loss or theft that is what the lookup app is for. If you have a rooted phone and the manufacturer won't fix it just submerse the phone.

Last edited:

Watcher07

Jun 6, 2010
Visit site
Being a huge fan of the stock ICS experience and knowing Google required all Android 4.0 phones to include the Holo theme (not necessarily the full theme, but the framework for apps and such) is there a theme you can switch to that will emulate the stock ICS color and feel via Sense?

manonmoon49

Jul 22, 2010
Visit site
Don't work for them, but Best Buy has the best deal: Geek Squad Black Tie protection. $10 ($9.99 + local sales tax) a month, almost no questions asked (had a humidity/liquid question, but I live in Houston so EVERY phone shows up with humid marker inside...LOL).

No deductible, swap for NEW phones in my experience. Both my OG EVO and Epic 4G are covered. Didn't get it with the EVO 3D as I couldn't wait and had to have a day -1 device from Sprint. But have pre-ordered the EVO 4G LTE with Best Buy and will definitely get Geek Squad.

I had my Evo 4G insured with Best Buy and I have No idea what people are talking about saying that they kept their phone for a month. I took it in for repairs and got a new one back 2 days later. They do not try and repair the phone anymore. They replace it. NO QUESTIONS ASKED. Well that was my experience at least.

gabbott

Trusted Member
Mar 22, 2010
Visit site
Being a huge fan of the stock ICS experience and knowing Google required all Android 4.0 phones to include the Holo theme (not necessarily the full theme, but the framework for apps and such) is there a theme you can switch to that will emulate the stock ICS color and feel via Sense?

You could always install nova launcher or apex launcher

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
be1digital