[Coming soon] The official Android Central review

Phil Nickinson

Android Central Editor Emeritus
Apr 21, 2009
Visit site
Link to the Engadget review, just for reference:

HTC EVO 4G LTE for Sprint review -- Engadget

The most striking bit to me is that they talk pretty glowingly of Sprint's bandwidth in N.O., in sharp contrast to Phil's experience.

Mods: Please delete this if it's inappropriate.

Here are two tests from New Orleans, and one from Pensacola after I got home last night. I'll do some more when I go back over on Friday, and after the CTIA crowd has left.

Sent from my EVO using Android Central Forums

aldrydd

May 14, 2010
Visit site
Wasn't doubting you, Phil... And since I don't live in New Orleans, it probably wouldn't mean much to me anyway if I did.

Definitely looking forward to seeing the results of you putting it through the paces!

Jaggrey

Sep 1, 2010
Visit site
Those are pretty good speeds from Pensacola. Sprint's definitely doing something. At my job I last got about those same speeds on 3G. Not near that at home tho.

Phil Nickinson

Android Central Editor Emeritus
Apr 21, 2009
Visit site
Those are pretty good speeds from Pensacola. Sprint's definitely doing something. At my job I last got about those same speeds on 3G. Not near that at home tho.

Heh. Here's ATT in P'cola, with a couple NOLA LTE tests at the bottom.

Sent from my HTC One X using Android Central Forums

MRBULLRED

Jun 6, 2010
Visit site
I live in New Orleans. My speeds are usually 100-150kbs down and about the same up. To put it simple, its horrible. I currently have a EVO3d.

nicole1004

May 8, 2012
Visit site
Heh. Here's ATT in P'cola, with a couple NOLA LTE tests at the bottom.

Sent from my HTC One X using Android Central Forums

Hi Phil! Since you are familiar with the one x and the evo4glte, I have a question.

I'm currently an AT&T subscriber but my contract just ended. I live in San Antonio, TX and I'm considering Sprint & this phone. I know they have 4g here and are slated to have LTE soon. Money wise, the plans would be the same, the only major difference is Sprint has unlimited data. So.... If you were in my position, would you renew with AT&T (and UG to One X) or take a chance on Sprint?

MRBULLRED

Jun 6, 2010
Visit site
Well for the heck of it I ran one tonight and, I'll be darn, I got 450 down only 20 up though.. Maybe things are getting better?

area223

Aug 27, 2010
Visit site
Hi Phil! Since you are familiar with the one x and the evo4glte, I have a question.

I'm currently an AT&T subscriber but my contract just ended. I live in San Antonio, TX and I'm considering Sprint & this phone. I know they have 4g here and are slated to have LTE soon. Money wise, the plans would be the same, the only major difference is Sprint has unlimited data. So.... If you were in my position, would you renew with AT&T (and UG to One X) or take a chance on Sprint?

I know I'm not Phil, nor do I own a One X or EVO LTE. But I'd say go play and test with both and see what you like the most and has the best coverage. AT&T HSPA+ is out almost everywhere and is extremely speedy, I can imagine what their LTE is like. For data, up to you.

Reactions: nicole1004

nicole1004

May 8, 2012
Visit site
I know I'm not Phil, nor do I own a One X or EVO LTE. But I'd say go play and test with both and see what you like the most and has the best coverage. AT&T HSPA+ is out almost everywhere and is extremely speedy, I can imagine what their LTE is like. For data, up to you.

That's fine, I welcome anybody's input! I tried a skyrocket that had LTE and forgot to turn on my wifi. I used up 70% of my data allowance in three days! That's what got me thinking that unlimited data on LTE would be a plus. However, reading several post about Sprint's network has got me rethinking things! I'm not sure that I should be concerned since I spend most of my time in Texas.

Tyler Durden

May 14, 2010
Visit site
Hey Phil.. how about taking one of your EVO's to an at&t store and seeing if it fits in the HTC One X car dock for me? (the HTC dock to be exact)

I don't know when Sprint will have the car dock out and I don't want to wait.

Mikest

Aug 21, 2011
Visit site
The Gizmodo guys were the same ones who used the Palm pre to slice Cheese in their review. I can only hope Android Central has the same high journalistic standards when it comes time to review this new sprint device. With the kickstand I can easily envision a mandoline slicer.

Looking forward to your review.

Quis89

Q&A Team
Oct 15, 2009
Visit site
Engadget did a pretty thorough and in depth review on this. The only thing they didn't touch on was the battery as they hadn't used it for that long. But it was a really good read for those who don't want to wait. I'm looking forward to this review to see how the battery faired.

walterwood44

Apr 26, 2010
Visit site
Hi Phil and others,

My wife and I are contemplating getting either a Galaxy Nexus or Evo 4G LTE to replace our original Evo 4Gs that are now two years old. Many of the reviews I have seen compare the Evo 4G LTE to the other HTC One series or other new Android phones but not the original Evo. Since many of us will be upgrading from the first Evo, please include a comparison with that phone as well as the newer phones in your review.

I never much used 4G here in the Orlando area since it was not really strong at home or work and I had a good Wi-Fi connection to use at both locations. I only turned 4G on when I needed it. I am sure this helped my battery life but that still sucked. I ended up getting aftermarket high capacity batteries for our phones and have not had a problem since. A replaceable battery is the reason why the Galaxy Nexus is my first choice but I like the features on the 4G LTE. Please comment on this.

Thanks,
Walter

MinistrOfJustiz

May 12, 2010
Visit site
I do want a more in depth review than the "it worked well walking around New Orleans for an hour after Sprint gave it to us" like other sites, but is thirteen days enough use? I'm beginning to wonder if it wasn't the ghost of Steve Jobs, but Phil that caused the customs hold so his review wouldn't come out after the phone.... :p