HTC Media Link DLNA - Work with other adapters?

mstrblueskys

Q&A Team
Dec 21, 2011
Visit site
Does anyone know if the HTC Evo 4G LTE can stream to any DLNA receivers or is it just the one produced by HTC? I have a WD Live that supports DLNA. Is that going to work? Thanks guys! Here's to my first Android forums post! (I had to move on from WebOS)

rajamahal

Jan 5, 2012
Visit site
DLNA is all about file sharing, not display mirroring. The HTC Media Link displays the phone screen (or a 2nd screen ala windows) on the TV over wifi. This makes it essentially wireless HDMI but with some other perks.

DLNA is a separate technology type. Your WD hard drive is essentially a wifi hard drive accessible by multiple devices including the EVO 4G LTE using DLNA technology.

What is DLNA? - TV & DVD - Which? Technology

mstrblueskys

Q&A Team
Dec 21, 2011
Visit site
DLNA is all about file sharing, not display mirroring. The HTC Media Link displays the phone screen (or a 2nd screen ala windows) on the TV over wifi. This makes it essentially wireless HDMI but with some other perks.

DLNA is a separate technology type. Your WD hard drive is essentially a wifi hard drive accessible by multiple devices including the EVO 4G LTE using DLNA technology.

It's not a hard drive. It's their media server thing. Much like the Apple TV. But everything else was great. Do you think the screen mirroring can be done with a device like mine?

WD TV Live

Thanks for the thoughts

jrog28

May 28, 2010
Visit site

I just ordered the media link. What are the other perks?

rajamahal

Jan 5, 2012
Visit site
It's not a hard drive. It's their media server thing. Much like the Apple TV. But everything else was great. Do you think the screen mirroring can be done with a device like mine?

WD TV Live

Thanks for the thoughts

Yeah, you can't get the screen mirroring with that I don't believe. It will allow you to easily find any content on the EVO and play it quickly, but will not have the mirroring functionality. The Media Link will mirror, but not be a streaming device for anything except the EVO. The WD live device will grab and play content from any DLNA capable device.

Reactions: mstrblueskys

rajamahal

Jan 5, 2012
Visit site
I just ordered the media link. What are the other perks?

Mainly you get the cool three finger gesture control to start the streaming to the TV. Probly still have to change the input of the TV. (Some TVs automatically recognize a new activated input, I don't think mine does) Just looked pretty seamless on some of the demonstration videos. Sooo much better than having to use a cable. Excited to see the capabilities of the "2nd display" kind of like having multiple monitors on a PC. If only the phone could ship already!!!

Mikey47

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
We should be clear here in this thread.

The EVO4GLTE has built in software to access DLNA devices.

If you do not have a DLNA device, you have a couple options:
1) MHL Adapter to connect your phone to an HDMI input on your t.v. (this is a wired solution)
2) HTC Media Link HD adapter, this connects to an HDMI input on your t.v., but with the HTC Media Link software on your phone it connects wirelessly to the adapter and mirrors on the t.v. It also will eventually be able to do more than just mirror with its API available to developers to have different things display on the phone and on the t.v (think game controller on the phone while the game is displayed on the t.v., or presentation controls on the phone while a power point is displayed on the t.v.).

Reactions: jrog28

jrog28

May 28, 2010
Visit site
We should be clear here in this thread.

The EVO4GLTE has built in software to access DLNA devices.

If you do not have a DLNA device, you have a couple options:
1) MHL Adapter to connect your phone to an HDMI input on your t.v. (this is a wired solution)
2) HTC Media Link HD adapter, this connects to an HDMI input on your t.v., but with the HTC Media Link software on your phone it connects wirelessly to the adapter and mirrors on the t.v. It also will eventually be able to do more than just mirror with its API available to developers to have different things display on the phone and on the t.v (think game controller on the phone while the game is displayed on the t.v., or presentation controls on the phone while a power point is displayed on the t.v.).

Thanks for this.

jupemars

Jul 28, 2012
Visit site
Does anyone know if the HTC Evo 4G LTE can stream to any DLNA receivers or is it just the one produced by HTC? I have a WD Live that supports DLNA. Is that going to work? Thanks guys! Here's to my first Android forums post! (I had to move on from WebOS)

I've connected mine to my PS3's DLNA client. I'll provide instructions here since I had trouble figuring it out.

To connect your HTC Evo 4G LTE to a PS3 via DLNA, start Media Share on your Evo, and select the files that you want shared in the button near the bottom of the Media Share app screen. I haven't looked into it, but I think that the PS3 has trouble looking at files outside of the Music, Photo, and Video folders -- similar to when you connect a USB hard drive -- so you won't need to click many of the options. For instance, I had mp3 files in the amazonmp3 folder that displayed as empty on the PS3, but when I used AirDroid to move them into my music folder, they displayed just fine. I assume that the other folders work the same way, I just didn't have a need to share images or videos since I was trying to play my phone's music over my home stereo system via my PS3.

Anyway, once you turn on Media Share on your phone, go to the PS3 network settings (both your PS3 and the Evo need to be on your wireless network). Click on the custom workflow in the network settings option, and turn on your wireless if it isn't already on. I'd also disable the UPnP option.

Next, find the option in the PS3 Settings XMP for enabling media servers -- and make sure that it is enabled. (This isn't the Remote Connection option for PSPs, etc.)

Next, use the XMB to navigate to the Photos, Videos, or Music option, and you should see the option to search for media servers. Click on that and your PS3 will then search for available media servers on the same network. Once it finds it, go back to the XMB for Music, Videos, or Photos and you should see "HTC Media Share" as an available source. Click on that and view your phone's media contents (the folders that you enabled inside of the HTC Media Share app).

Hope this helps.

Reactions: TKDnerd05

jonesdf13

Jun 10, 2013
Visit site
Are the current line of HTC tablets compatible with the Media Link HD mirroring feature?

I'm trying to mirror a browser from a tablet to an HDTV with full screen functionality...aka no black bars on the side. The media link is the closest thing I've found so far.