Can I put stock ICS on the Evo once I unlock the bootloader?

KlassiK

May 12, 2012
Visit site
Hey, the only thing keeping me away from the Evo is sense, I just really love stock ICS. I was wondering if I can put stock ICS on the new Evo since we can unlock the bootloader? Thanks.

tayl428

Nov 2, 2010
Visit site
I would almost bet my OG Evo that there will be 4.0.4 ROMs available on release day 1 or 2 for the Evo LTE, if not sooner, now that the bootloader is unlockable.

Saneless

Apr 20, 2010
Visit site
I would almost bet my OG Evo that there will be 4.0.4 ROMs available on release day 1 or 2 for the Evo LTE, if not sooner, now that the bootloader is unlockable.
Sure there will be. And they'll probably work as good as the EVO 3D's ICS roms, which is to say not very well at all.

It will probably take about 3-4 months after the source code is available for everything.

cloak.n.dagger

Jun 24, 2010
Visit site
Yeah, there are lots of things that just don't work in AOSP (vanilla/senseless) ROMs. 4G and camera are broke on every AOSP ICS ROM for the EVO3D. However, everything works with the ICS Sense ROMS. Since this phone with have LTE, which won't be available to almost 90% of the country, that may not be a big deal. But to lose that amazing camera would be criminal! In the end, we will just have to wait and see what kind of magic the ROM developers can spin.

kronosqq

Apr 19, 2012
Visit site
Sure there will be. And they'll probably work as good as the EVO 3D's ICS roms, which is to say not very well at all.

It will probably take about 3-4 months after the source code is available for everything.

I doubt the camera will be as much of a problem as it was for ICS ROMS on previous Evo's. As I understand it, the problem was that there was no ICS camera driver available. With the Evo 4G LTE, there will be since it's already on ICS.

Sent from my PC36100 using Android Central Forums

Scotlac

Jun 19, 2011
Visit site
I don't really undestand how this works.. if it is possible to put stock ICS on the evo does that mean you get the updates along with it?

Yes. Once you root your phone you no longer accept OTA updates. Generally within a few days of an update being released the devs will have their ROM's updated and then you just flash the new version.

Reactions: AlternetConcept

anon(94115)

Banned
Nov 29, 2010
Visit site
If you are looking for pure vanilla from the get go, I wouldn't hold my breath. 4G brings a world of problems with it.

You will get a build, but not a great one at first.

What you really need/want is a dev to take an interest and make something like a senseless ROM. That is stripping out "most" of sense, but they have to leave some behind to make things "just work".

Done't expect days, or weeks. Think months.

Scotlac

Jun 19, 2011
Visit site
If you are looking for pure vanilla from the get go, I wouldn't hold my breath. 4G brings a world of problems with it.

You will get a build, but not a great one at first.

What you really need/want is a dev to take an interest and make something like a senseless ROM. That is stripping out "most" of sense, but they have to leave some behind to make things "just work".

Done't expect days, or weeks. Think months.

The E4GLTE doesn't have 4G capability and since LTE will only be initially rolling out to 6 markets I don't expect that will be much of an issue for most people. Hopefully that will expedite the development of an AOSP ROM.

anon(94115)

Banned
Nov 29, 2010
Visit site
The E4GLTE doesn't have 4G capability and since LTE will only be initially rolling out to 6 markets I don't expect that will be much of an issue for most people. Hopefully that will expedite the development of an AOSP ROM.

Doesn't matter if you have it or not (4G), it still has a 4G radio which means the RIL (Radio Interface Layer) has to be cracked to get some love from CM. Well you will get someone to take a look and get everything "but..." working, but it will stall because of the RIL.

I am not trying to be a naysayer or the voice of doom, I am speaking from experience.

For example, here is your CM9 list for HTC: HTC Desire HD / HTC Inspire 4G - CyanogenMod Forum

Show me one LTE device on there that has a full build. I will wait.

There isn't one. There are tons of partial builds, but not full builds. There is CM7, but not CM9.

More perspective: The Thunderbolt has been out for how long and they do not have CM9?

Again I am not peeing in anyone's Wheaties, I am just trying to temper expectations. The RIL is a hard animal.

Reactions: Scotlac

Scotlac

Jun 19, 2011
Visit site
Doesn't matter if you have it or not (4G), it still has a 4G radio which means the RIL (Radio Interface Layer) has to be cracked to get some love from CM. Well you will get someone to take a look and get everything "but..." working, but it will stall because of the RIL.

I am not trying to be a naysayer or the voice of doom, I am speaking from experience.

For example, here is your CM9 list for HTC: HTC Desire HD / HTC Inspire 4G - CyanogenMod Forum

Show me one LTE device on there that has a full build. I will wait.

There isn't one. There are tons of partial builds, but not full builds. There is CM7, but not CM9.

More perspective: The Thunderbolt has been out for how long and they do not have CM9?

Again I am not peeing in anyone's Wheaties, I am just trying to temper expectations. The RIL is a hard animal.

Thanks for the clarification! I was unaware of that.

anon(94115)

Banned
Nov 29, 2010
Visit site
There are a ton of good Devs working on it and it will be cracked, but it might still take time. Then the flood gates will open

Sent from my ADR6425LVW using Tapatalk 2

Last edited:

PookiePrancer

Jul 17, 2010
Visit site
Rooting alone will be enough to get me by for a while. And the idea of a stripped down Sense rom would be acceptable as well. AlterROM on the OG Evo is like that, and it's a beast.