Engadget finally does their battery run down "test"

sabbys

Apr 28, 2011
Visit site
I still have issues with their methods, but they do get referenced a lot.

The synopsis:

Update: We finally put the EVO 4G LTE through our usual battery rundown test (looping a video with brightness and volume set to 50%, Bluetooth disabled, WiFi turned on but not connected and CDMA plus LTE enabled) and the phone lasted eight hours and 55 minutes, just like AT&T's One X -- this despite a larger 2000mAh battery (vs. 1800mAh on its cousin) and a strong CDMA signal. The difference is likely due to the LTE radio being enabled without a network available. We were unable to test HD Voice because the feature is not expected to start rolling out on Sprint's network until "late 2012", according to a spokesperson. Regular calls, however, sounded clear on both ends and reception was problem free.

I love that "likely due to the LTE radio being enabled without a network available" - DUH. But still 8:55 is pretty good with their quite synthetic test.

sabbys

imranmali3

May 7, 2012
Visit site
Thanks for the post! Also note, the smart android user, who needs to squeeze out every ounce of battery life, why would he/she leave wifi & lte on? When I use it, it will be one or the other (or 3g if chicago rollouts are delayed).

errbin

Feb 20, 2012
Visit site
I hate Edgadget reviews & their podcast is even worse there's no reason to have the wifi and lte on if its not connected

experiment 626

Apr 19, 2010
Visit site
Has anyone done a review with the specific purpose of getting the best battery life possible? By that I mean: No LTE signal searching, no WiFi, and no BT. I have no idea why all these early reviews continue to have the EVO 4G LTE with the LTE/CDMA network setting turned on.

shadowhawk2020

May 20, 2010
Visit site
I always thought leaving a radio on but unconnected was the worst thing you could do for a battery. With that said, I bet they would get another hour at least...

Last edited:

AlternetConcept

Aug 3, 2010
Visit site
Well in all fairness I'm sure some people out there just leave there bluetooth on like myself for those who have it automatically pair with there car or other devices rather than having to always turn it on and off... I know I cannot be the only one that leaves on BT... other than that... yeah I agree that LTE and wifi should be turned off :D

9 hrs is respectable considering they said that it was a video that was constantly running... so those who don't use there phones that hardcore should even get more hours yes?

shadowhawk2020

May 20, 2010
Visit site
Screen on kills the battery fast, so you should get more hours out of your phone.

I don't have a problem with them leaving on Bluetooth and WiFi. Those two things are consistent across all the phones they test. But, who would leave LTE on when there is no LTE around at all? Only if you make a mistake.

I also don't remember anyone making this big a deal about the iPhones lack of functioning 4g when they review their phones.

Mikey47

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
who would leave LTE on when there is no LTE around at all? Only if you make a mistake.

95% of all users (only those 5% of us who hang around places like this on the internet know to turn it off).

I am hoping, for the sake of those 95%, that Sprint ships these devices in CDMA only mode for network connectivity.

DougB541#CB

May 15, 2010
Visit site
Screen on kills the battery fast, so you should get more hours out of your phone.

I don't have a problem with them leaving on Bluetooth and WiFi. Those two things are consistent across all the phones they test. But, who would leave LTE on when there is no LTE around at all? Only if you make a mistake.

I also don't remember anyone making this big a deal about the iPhones lack of functioning 4g when they review their phones.

Because 4G wasn't ubiqutous. If you remember early Sprint 4G reviews they praised the speed.

But the issue now is Verizon and AT&T have fast and widespread LTE right now, TMobile's HSPA+ blazes past Sprint's 3G speeds....Sprint's new flagship doesn't connect to their old 4G network...and most likely, iphone 5 will be 4G. So its a weird situation.

BigPuddin

Mar 7, 2011
Visit site
I think it's great to know that using the phone in the least efficient manner possible got them almost 9 hours of battery life.

The iPhone never touted 4G functionality.

Robbzilla

Jan 21, 2011
Visit site
95% of all users (only those 5% of us who hang around places like this on the internet know to turn it off).

I am hoping, for the sake of those 95%, that Sprint ships these devices in CDMA only mode for network connectivity.

Original reports showed that Sprint intended to have their LTE phones shipped with LTE shut off.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kerokekerol