Does anyone tether?

Darth Mo

May 17, 2010
Visit site
Just wondering how you will be impacted by losing 4G, at least for a while in the majority of markets.

Don't use 4G much here because it's spotty, but there are occasions I do if it works because i have a WiFi only tablet.

Is losing 4G a relative big deal for anyone?

kronosqq

Apr 19, 2012
Visit site
Never had WiMax coverage to begin with, so, nope, not for me. I am looking forward to getting LTE though, I'm in one of the secondary markets, so hopefully sometime in December.

NicksGarage

May 18, 2010
Visit site
I used to tether with a cable on my OG EVO but when I got my EVO View tablet I rooted so I could do wireless tether. I don't really use it that much so it won't be too bad when I get the new phone. I can't justify the hotspot plan price at this point. Never got wimax here in San Diego and no clue if or when we'll get LTE but I'm mostly on Wifi around town anyway. I have used 4G out of town and it just depends on the city. Better than 3G as long as you can get a consistent connection. LTE should be better.

The manual for the EVOLTE shows that it does wired tethering out of the box so I shouldn't need to install EasyTether this time. I'll certainly give it a shot.

MDteX

May 14, 2010
Visit site
Even though the title and question don't match I will answer.

I get pretty decent 4G signal now. It will be a bummer to lose it. But it is spotty.

Yes I tether. I use Easytether. Works great.

Captain_Throwback

Jan 16, 2011
Visit site
Just wondering how you will be impacted by losing 4G, at least for a while in the majority of markets.

Don't use 4G much here because it's spotty, but there are occasions I do if it works because i have a WiFi only tablet.

Is losing 4G a relative big deal for anyone?
I often tether at 4G for work, and I will continue to do so once I get my LTEvo. I'm actually not activating my new EVO until LTE rolls out in my area. I'll be tethering to my OG until that time, and then I'll activate the new one.

Darth Mo

May 17, 2010
Visit site
I often tether at 4G for work, and I will continue to do so once I get my LTEvo. I'm actually not activating my new EVO until LTE rolls out in my area. I'll be tethering to my OG until that time, and then I'll activate the new one.

Is LTE due soon in your area, or are you just willing to hang onto the 4GLTE for a few months?

Fubie

May 12, 2010
Visit site
I tether all of the time, especially when traveling. Most hotel wifi (where I stay) is capped on download so 3G or Wimax is better for me. I'll especially will miss wifi tethering from the phone. I can't wait for S-off and root.

Fubie

Sent from my EVO 4G using Tapatalk 2

dagold99

Jun 17, 2010
Visit site
I'm in L.A. and wimax works pretty well. So I think I am going to keep my OR EVO until LTE.Sometimes I do teether to ipad and 4g is great but when I can only use 3g it sucks. But some mornings I do wake up and tell myself just go for it and buy the new Evo LTE.

Captain_Throwback

Jan 16, 2011
Visit site
Is LTE due soon in your area, or are you just willing to hang onto the 4GLTE for a few months?
I live in the Philadelphia area, which is a second wave LTE rollout city, so I'll be carrying around 2 phones for a few months. I'm essentially going to use my OG EVO as a continuous hotspot for the LTEvo. I'm even considering doing all my phone calling from the new phone, by forwarding my cell number to my Google Voice number, which I can receive calls from over VOIP through SipGate (which I already have).

It seems like a lot to do, I know. So you may ask, why didn't you just wait until LTE was available in your area to get the phone? The simple answer to that is, I wanted a first Generation device since the first ones are usually the easiest to fully exploit/root. HTC patches the security vulnerabilities as hardware & software revisions come out, and I didn't want to get stuck with an unrootable device. That's worth a few months of inconvenience to me, because a device is just not the same without having full control over it through S-OFF & root.

Glenn

Nov 2, 2010
Visit site
I have it, although I don't need it, since usually the only thing I have with me that requires internet access is my phone. I occasionally turn it on so my friends can use it for their tablets or non-data-plan phones, but not often, as it drains my battery more than I'd like.

So overall, it's not a major concern for me, though I would like to have the option to do so if the situation requires it.

digmys

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
I use it on trips. Are any of you that are concerned keeping your OG EVO or 3D?

Fun fact, activation is fast and easy on Sprint.com If I go on a trip I just plan to activate my EVO3D (takes about 2 minutes) and use that on the trip so I can have WiMax tethering. Then when I get home, re-activate my new EVO.

Problem solved if you only use 4G tethering at specific times that you know are coming up.

gmtom1

May 16, 2010
Visit site
Another alternative for Wimax tethering (not free though) would be to consider getting a Clear hotspot for $100. Clear is no-contract and the base plan is the same price as Sprint, so you can turn it on and off as necessary when you know you'll need 4G access. That's what I'm considering doing until LTE is available here.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
steve1084