Network Availability

footballbanker

Sep 3, 2010
Visit site
How does everyone feel about paying $10 for an LTE network that doesn't exist? Most people will be paying more to use the outdated and slower 3G technology when the switch is finally turned on. Some people will have to wait until the end of 2013 to have LTE and even then it won't be nearly as fast as VZW and ATT. How is Sprint justifying this? How are you justifying making the purchase?

irev210

Jun 4, 2011
Visit site
I am sure people are justify the price they pay sprint it by

A) leaving sprint and going to a different carrier if they need LTE
B) waiting for sprint to launch LTE and using 3G until then

How else would people justify it?

KerkedAgain

Feb 8, 2010
Visit site
How does everyone feel about paying $10 for an LTE network that doesn't exist? Most people will be paying more to use the outdated and slower 3G technology when the switch is finally turned on. Some people will have to wait until the end of 2013 to have LTE and even then it won't be nearly as fast as VZW and ATT. How is Sprint justifying this? How are you justifying making the purchase?

Here we go, same question we went over since the inception of the 'Premium Data Fee' with the og evo... I justify it as the fee for "truly unlimited Data" not 4G (that's also the truth, not just a rationale)

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk 2

Mikey47

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
Here we go, same question we went over since the inception of the 'Premium Data Fee' with the og evo... I rationalize it as the fee for "truly unlimited Data" not 4G (that's also the truth, not just a rationale)

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk 2

Boy, this question, and the ensuing arguments, NEVER get old. LOL

I will ask my same question that I always do on this, and again, no one will be able to answer it:

"Could you please point me to where in Sprint's press releases, documentation, public statements (anything, really) where they state that this fee was for the 4G network?"

Sure, this fee was introduced with the EVO, but you have to realize this was the first heavily used smartphone on Sprint's network and thus the increase in the network utilization was the reason Sprint decided that it was better for users of data intensive phones to pay an additional $10 fee rather than have to cap or throttle data.

If Sprint ever caps or throttles data, THEN I would argue that this fee is unnecessary.

Rdubya87

May 8, 2012
Visit site
Yeah, I can't really get fired up over a $10 smartphone fee when I am still paying less than my friends on other carriers. As far as LTE speeds, I honestly don't mind my 3G speeds most the time so I am sure the difference between 8 MB/s and 15 MB/s (hypothetically) won't be that big of a deal for me. Others who do think it matters will vote with their feet and change carriers

To each their own!

Reactions: Mom2Ninjas

ImNoPrince

May 7, 2012
Visit site
Yup same here It's all about Not Worrying About Data Overages. I have 3 of our 5 Phones paying the $10 and 2 that don't use much data on older phones so just won't upgrade them to smartphones it all evens out in the end.
Yea I use 4G now so it's just Faster Unlimited Data yes it will stink to go slower until it rolls out but it's still unlimited. I also Like that they are upgrading 3G along with it not that we have many issues here.

DCLocal

Mar 18, 2010
Visit site
As Kered said, the $10 is not for LTE, it is a premium for all the (unlimited) data you're likely to suck down with a smartphone. The EVO line is a media consumption (data hog) device by design with its big screen, big camera, media focus,etc.

JManekia

Dec 9, 2011
Visit site
How is Sprint justifying this?

Sprint isn't making you buy this phone and pay monthly for outdated 3G network. You're welcome to leave if you like.

Everyone buying this phone knows the deal. LTE will come where sprint says it will and when sprint says it will. They are selling the phone with all the info anyone needs to know to make a decision.

Reactions: Mikey47

Mikey47

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
Sprint isn't making you buy this phone and pay monthly for outdated 3G network. You're welcome to leave if you like.

Everyone buying this phone knows the deal. LTE will come where sprint says it will and when sprint says it will. They are selling the phone with all the info anyone needs to know to make a decision.

I agree with everything you said with the exception of "where sprint says it will and when sprint says it will". Given our experiences with the pre-order status changes, I would change that to "when it is there". ;-)

footballbanker

Sep 3, 2010
Visit site
How can something be a data hog when your only able to download 1-3 mbps? It's physically impossible.

Thank you! Your wisdom has truly opened my eyes. I could of swore I had a gun pointed at the back of my head... Do you ever ask questions about anything or do you just do exactly what people tell you?

shadowhawk2020

May 20, 2010
Visit site

The same way I have justified having a Wimax phone with no Wimax. It is the.beat phone on the cheapest network.

KerkedAgain

Feb 8, 2010
Visit site
How can something be a data hog when your only able to download 1-3 mbps? It's physically impossible.

I can see what you mean, but I'm sure that because smartphone users as a whole will be using quite a bit of data (and it's probably reasonable to conclude that those with the "flagship" device will probably use much more) the 1-3 mbps from every user may indeed be classified as a data hog

manonmoon49

Jul 22, 2010
Visit site

My justification for buying this is everything that the phone is besides the LTE. Considering I only used 4G on my Evo 3D when I am at the office and Sprint wifi hotspot for my wifi tablet and netbook. I won't miss that because I'm going to switch my Hotspot to my Evo View until LTE rolls out in my area.

Sent from the dungeon I was thrown in for voicing my opinions

JManekia

Dec 9, 2011
Visit site

Thank you! Your wisdom has truly opened my eyes. I could of swore I had a gun pointed at the back of my head... Do you ever ask questions about anything or do you just do exactly what people tell you?

Or, you can do your research and come up with the answer. But why put any effort into doing your own work, right?

Reactions: MinistrOfJustiz

ffejjj

May 14, 2012
Visit site
lol tough crowd here :)

I agree though, i dont mind the 10$ charge. When added into my price i'm still using all the data i can consume without 1 penny more for doing so.

Sprint pricing has always been a + to me and since 1999 (when i got Sprint) i have had good service. SCH 3500 was my first phone on Sprint WoW lol

For myself Sprint has been mostly reliable and customer service has been choppy at times but all and all they get the job done.

So long story is 10$ Sure i'll pay it

manonmoon49

Jul 22, 2010
Visit site
Or, you can do your research and come up with the answer. But why put any effort into doing your own work, right?

I thought asking a question that has been answered 100+ in the past couple years was putting in his own work...:what:

Sent from the dummy Evo 4G LTE at the BB Store

digmys

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site

You're paying $10 extra for LTE? Whew. You're getting screwed brother, glad I'm not. I only pay the same $10 fee that EVERY SMARTPHONE on sprint pays, 3G, WiMax, or LTE.

I'd call customer service if I were you :p

Reactions: Rydah805

manonmoon49

Jul 22, 2010
Visit site
You're paying $10 extra for LTE? Whew. You're getting screwed brother, glad I'm not. I only pay the same $10 fee that EVERY SMARTPHONE on sprint pays, 3G, WiMax, or LTE.

I'd call customer service if I were you :p

I am paying $10 extra?? I thought I was paying like $30 less than the competitors...

Sent from the dummy Evo 4G LTE at the BB Store

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laila Nance