Another look at the EVO's battery life

KoukiFC3S

Oct 9, 2009
Visit site
HTC EVO 4G LTE Shows Impressive Battery Life on Sprint's 3G Now Network

The problem with this may be that hunting for a 4G signal when Sprint?s 4G LTE network isn?t switched on yet may cause excessive battery drain, perhaps even more battery drain than if the phone is connected to a 4G tower. As such, in our test, we had turned off LTE connectivity in the phone?s setting and either operated the HTC EVO 4G LTE solely on Sprint?s 3G Now Network or connected to a WiFi hotspot and we found that our results fortunately contradicted battery results from other publications.

Someone finally tested the battery life properly!

4+ hours of screen on time with 25% battery remaining. I can live with that. :D

Last edited:

KoukiFC3S

Oct 9, 2009
Visit site
Looks like it was 4 hours over a 14 hour period.
He even threw in some navigon GPS in there, and that's a big battery hog.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 2

ajonesma

Oct 1, 2010
Visit site
that little article has helped me make up my mind on which Sprint phone to get. I was having trouble deciding between the Galaxy Nexus and the EVO 4G LTE. Now I know its the EVO :)

aztecgod106

May 11, 2012
Visit site
Is that picture accurate? Why does the Android O.S. Bar have nothing? Wait I get it...that's stand-by hours right?

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Android Central Forums

anon(603471)

Dec 19, 2011
Visit site
I wonder what the screen brightness was set to? I'm inside all day so I keep mine arpind 20%. I imagine that could help squeeze a little bit more out of it (unless they were using a low screen brightness for the test).

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk 2

anon(21918)

May 13, 2010
Visit site
I believe I read on another site that this screen is cumulative. It is showing all the times it has been on battery, not just the current battery usage. As an example, the user in this picture may have had the phone on battery for 6 hours, then charged it, then on battery for 4 hours, then charged it, then on battery for another 4 hours. Basically it has been on battery a total of 14 hours over the life of the device.

Hate to burst everyone's bubble.

Marrow

illdini

May 17, 2010
Visit site
If it's like the Evo 3D, that's the time since the phone was last unplugged from a charger.

EDIT: I just checked, it is cumulative *sigh*. Still, I don't think the reviewer would be dishonest about the battery (hopefully).

Sent from my PG86100 using Android Central Forums

Last edited:

anon(21918)

May 13, 2010
Visit site
It is probably not the reviewer being dishonest, but the reviewer not understanding or researching how the report ran. He probably had the phone on battery for 8-10 hours and just assumed that it was for the current length of time he had it on battery. We have seen plenty of reviewers do little to no research on the EVO LTE before their reviews were published, this does not suprise me.

Marrow

KoukiFC3S

Oct 9, 2009
Visit site
I believe I read on another site that this screen is cumulative. It is showing all the times it has been on battery, not just the current battery usage. As an example, the user in this picture may have had the phone on battery for 6 hours, then charged it, then on battery for 4 hours, then charged it, then on battery for another 4 hours. Basically it has been on battery a total of 14 hours over the life of the device.

Hate to burst everyone's bubble.

Marrow

No the graph is correct. Check out the battery's curve. It's always declining, so he didn't plug it in.

Reactions: jbrown13

anon(21918)

May 13, 2010
Visit site
No the graph is correct. Check out the battery's curve. It's always declining, so he didn't plug it in.

I think the time is cumulative, but the graph is for that particular battery session. My comments were around the point that he got 14+ hours on one charge (with 20%+ leftover). I hope the phone does this and that I am wrong, but I somehow doubt it is correct right out of the box (no new roms, no system update, etc).

KoukiFC3S

Oct 9, 2009
Visit site
I think the time is cumulative, but the graph is for that particular battery session. My comments were around the point that he got 14+ hours on one charge (with 20%+ leftover). I hope the phone does this and that I am wrong, but I somehow doubt it is correct right out of the box (no new roms, no system update, etc).

I sure hope not! Hopefully we can all find out ourselves next week.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Robbyworkman1995