Good News

AeonZeroX

Apr 17, 2010
Visit site
I know right. I just read that too and now im wondering why on earth did Apple sick that injunction and the ITC and Customs on HTC. Now it honestly serves no purpose its exactly what the patent is covering and its already in compliance. So seriously what was the point of this whole entire PR stunt? Seriously any and all shame, hate, and hate mail that Apple gets deserves at this point. This was just being petty at the last minute plain and simple. Because honestly, if HTC was out of compliance and breaking the rules where was Apple when the HTC One S came out? It runs the same build of Sense 4.0. And was released around a month ago.

downsouth11

Feb 3, 2010
Visit site
Very promising, but who know's how the review process works. If we need to wake up a judge for a ruling I am sure there are more than a few people on this site that would ring that doorbell. And how long can Apple protest this? This sucks.

sabbys

Apr 28, 2011
Visit site
According to the Verge article:

While HTC devices shipped to the rest of the world may still exhibit that behavior, we can confirm that neither the AT&T One X or the Sprint Evo 4G LTE present the offending menu: tapping on a detected phone number or email immediately launches the dialer or email client. What's more, the US devices also include a new "app associations" settings screen where users can specify default apps for things like email and maps; international devices lack the screen and pop up a context menu when an email address is clicked for the first time, as shown below.

Well I looked it up because that seemed familiar. Sure enough, on page 65 of the User Manual is this description:

Select the App to Open Data Items

You can set which app opens when you tap an item such as a phone number or email address while reading a message, viewing a Web page, and more.

1. Open the Notifications panel, and then touch > App associations.

2. For each item type, select the app you want to open.

Now I have to ask W T F - if this is a UNIQUE FEATURE to US phones and directly addresses the patent infringement then WHY did customs even have to asked if HTC was complying?

HTC could have just read them the user manual for heck's sake.

This all around seems very Keystone Cops.

sabbys

(btw - see Virge article link above)

Darth Mo

May 17, 2010
Visit site
Now I have to ask W T F - if this is a UNIQUE FEATURE to US phones and directly addresses the patent infringement then WHY did customs even have to asked if HTC was complying?

HTC could have just read them the user manual for heck's sake.

This all around seems very Keystone Cops.

sabbys

(btw - see Virge article link above)

The customs hold is only part of it; it's one of the actions as a result of the ITC action.

The ITC stopped everything: sales, distributions, importation, etc. The pre-order phones have probably been in Sprint's hands since they announced the release date. But the ITC hold is preventing them from shipping them even though they've technically been sold.

Reactions: jnl813 and Ry

sabbys

Apr 28, 2011
Visit site
The customs hold is only part of it; it's one of the actions as a result of the ITC action.

That being said, it just seems to me that if the requisite actions to address the infringement were so baked-in that it was documented in the User Manual that a presentation of compliance should not have been put off until now, some 5 months later.

At the last minute, as it were.

As was noted elsewhere it seems there is something more is going on here. I suspect brinksmanship of some sort.

Sabbys

p2cactus

May 16, 2010
Visit site
HTC claiming something doesn't violate the ITC injunction and it actually not violating the ITC injunction are two different things. I'm no lawyer, nor do I play on on TV, nor did I stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night, but if you actually read what the patent covers and the software changes HTC made, it isn't clear to me that they are in compliance.

It's a stupid patent that should never have been granted, but I think there is a real chance that things don't go in HTC's favor here.

Glenn

Nov 2, 2010
Visit site
zul5d1.png

Droid800

Banned
Mar 31, 2010
Visit site
That being said, it just seems to me that if the requisite actions to address the infringement were so baked-in that it was documented in the User Manual that a presentation of compliance should not have been put off until now, some 5 months later.

At the last minute, as it were.

As was noted elsewhere it seems there is something more is going on here. I suspect brinksmanship of some sort.

Sabbys

Or HTC never submitted the change to the ITC to judge its compliance. Or they did, and their solution didn't pass muster.

Whatever the reason, its something that HTC should have figured out before the devices were even announced.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

manonmoon49

Jul 22, 2010
Visit site
Or HTC never submitted the change to the ITC to judge its compliance. Or they did, and their solution didn't pass muster.

Whatever the reason, its something that HTC should have figured out before the devices were even announced.

HTC pro ably did think this was all figured out or they would not have set a launch date. This is just Apple's way of stirring the pot yet again and trying to solidify the claims that they have the "Ultimate" device. ITC and customs are just following procedure when a claim is brought forth by the over paid lawyers at the big fruit company

Sent from the dummy Evo 4G LTE at the BB Store

Droid800

Banned
Mar 31, 2010
Visit site
HTC pro ably did think this was all figured out or they would not have set a launch date. This is just Apple's way of stirring the pot yet again and trying to solidify the claims that they have the "Ultimate" device. ITC and customs are just following procedure when a claim is brought forth by the over paid lawyers at the big fruit company

Sent from the dummy Evo 4G LTE at the BB Store

HTC has known about this since December. There is no pot for apple to stir.

jnl813

Jun 21, 2010
Visit site
I still believe that HTC has a HUGE opportunity here in advertising these great devices!

" The new family of HTC phones, the Ones that Apple does not want you to have"

I know there was a post about this somewhere around here, but this is GENIUS!!

manonmoon49

Jul 22, 2010
Visit site
I still believe that HTC has a HUGE opportunity here in advertising these great devices!

"The ONE that Apple fears"

Sent from the now antique Evo 3D which can now be found at the Smithsonian

jnl813

Jun 21, 2010
Visit site
Either way this is GOOD news, but still I cant get over the fact that TODAY I should have had this bad boy in my hands.....

sniff sniff :'(

ok back to reality.:cool:

and I am curious as to why Apple did not stop the HTC One S for T-Mobile?....

Last edited:

Droid800

Banned
Mar 31, 2010
Visit site

Except the one series wasn't even part of the original complaint. SENSE was what apple sued over.