Who Are We Blaming For The Customs Hold Up?

Makad

May 9, 2010
Visit site
Just curious and maybe someone could make a survey out of this. But who are we blaming for the HTC EVO LTE 4G hold up at customs?
1. Sprint
2. HTC
3. ITC (International Trade Commission)
4. US Customs
5. Apple and their Iphone people.

Me, I blame APPLE!

Mikey47

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
Whats it matter? Will this help get our phones to us sooner?

Not one single bit. But ..... it gives us something to do while we wait twiddling our thumbs (and commenting incessantly on the never ending string of threads on this topic). :cool:

Darth Mo

May 17, 2010
Visit site
I think you have to blame the patent system first as they approve lame patents like the one.

Agreed. Sprint and HTC have a little blame for not getting this resolved sooner, the ITC is just doing due process, and Apple (as douchey as it is) is exercising its rights. Customs has no blame whatsoever.

But none of this happens without the frivolous patent.

Reactions: Ry

houstonwino

Nov 11, 2010
Visit site
The system that allows trivial things to be patented, and troll patents to be used as weapons may be at the core of this issue. But that isn't where the ultimate responsibility lies here. While better regulation of guns might reduce shootings, the person who picks up and uses the weapon is responsible.

That is what is called common sense.

houstonwino

Nov 11, 2010
Visit site
Agreed. Sprint and HTC have a little blame for not getting this resolved sooner, the ITC is just doing due process, and Apple (as douchey as it is) is exercising its rights. Customs has no blame whatsoever.

Crap! My copy of the Constitution leaves out the right to be douchey! ;)

Glenn

Nov 2, 2010
Visit site
Ultimately, I lay the blame on Apple for applying and suing for such a silly patent. And also the patent system for allowing said patent.

Beyond that, there's not enough detail in what happened in this particular instance to lay further blame--it could be HTC for not getting their changes approved by the ITC earlier, or it could be Apple and/or the ITC.

downsouth11

Feb 3, 2010
Visit site
I blame HTC. Granted it was a crappy ruling, but they lost. They should have gotten the phones cleared way before it got to this point. As a company they should be embarrassed that Apple was able to get such an upper-hand on them. Sprint has nothing to do with the importing of these devices. There should have been a shiny new EVOLTE on the desk of a judge or arbiter that could have cleared, or rejected, the device.

There is no real way of knowing what happened. But if I had to put money; Apple made a call to tie up the shipment. HTC got played and they allowed it.

Magman007

May 12, 2012
Visit site

How does customs have no blame what so ever? Have you ever brought a container in? Have you ever had it inspected by customs? Customs+ITC are solely to blame for this action.

People are speculating that apple called the ITC and asked them to investigate. This is stupid to think, apple has access to htc one x's currently available, I am sure they have a few of them in the headquarters right now, as I am sure HTC has an iphone. Apple wouldn't risk something so trivial over a phone that really isn't that much competition for them. HTC is a drop in the smartphone bucket.

Apple is ruthless, this is true, they are going after samsung so much and vise versa that the courts basically said you have to go to mediation and work this out. Samsung supplies apple with more than you can imagine, and apple is still happy to go after their supplier without a problem.

maybe they are butthurt over the 90's, maybe they are protecting that which is legally theirs.

Google bought motorola solely for the access to their library of patents, many of which are just as dumb as the one holding up this container.

That being said, everyone saying rally behind google etc needs to realize that apple is the most valued company in the world right now, if it were legal, and they would sell, apple could theoretically purchase google out flat, and any of these cellular manufacturers they wanted at the same time.

dschoenike

Jul 15, 2010
Visit site
question regarding this situation. is this a first in the mobile device industry? I mean has a phone ever been delayed by a patent ruling and held at customs before? thx

Darth Mo

May 17, 2010
Visit site
How does customs have no blame what so ever? Have you ever brought a container in? Have you ever had it inspected by customs? Customs+ITC are solely to blame for this action.

I do deal with international shipping and customs can be a pain in the balls, but not this time.

Let's say the shipment got through customs the day before the ITC deadline. Sprint still would not be able to distribute the phones at this point because the ITC is preventing them from doing anything with the 4G LTE and One Xs.

It's not as US Customs randomly decided to jam up the shipment. They are simply following international trade laws.

Magman007

May 12, 2012
Visit site
I do deal with international shipping and customs can be a pain in the balls, but not this time.

Let's say the shipment got through customs the day before the ITC deadline. Sprint still would not be able to distribute the phones at this point because the ITC is preventing them from doing anything with the 4G LTE and One Xs.

It's not as US Customs randomly decided to jam up the shipment. They are simply following international trade laws.

Correct,

I guess what I was trying to make with my statement is the fact that No, apple did not pull some dick move and tell the ITC to stop the shipment. This is solely a customs/itc issue and they are following the law.

Benzter

May 17, 2012
Visit site
Apple could theoretically "buy out google" but would more than likely exasperate all of it's own resources to do so. Meaning it would be like ripping out the foundation of a house to add another floor, it just would never happen. If Google was like apple and created and manufactured its own products and sold actual physical goods, it would be neck and neck with apple just like Samsung currently is. Htc is a small company simply at the wrong end of a powerful "American" corporation in American customs because of a patent that wasn't actually violated but rather investigated and for the first time in history of the modern cell phone, a last minute launch date was delayed by a pure bully tactic by Apple.

Reactions: dschoenike

houstonwino

Nov 11, 2010
Visit site
Apple wouldn't know what to do if they did own Google. Their crappy phones wouldn't do anything without Google. Everything they do is based on marketing, litigation and style over substance. After yesterday, I've gone from amused and slightly annoyed by them and their ***hole sheep cult members, to full-on hatred. It might take awhile, but I hope I live to see the day when they return to only being used by a few stoned pseudo-techno-hippies who drive Volvo diesels and tie their ponytails too tight and don't want to be bothered learning how to do anything useful because it might make them miss a sale on organic lentil hummus at their local Whole Foods day old outlet stores.

DIE APPLE, DIE!!!

AndroidBlizzard

Apr 4, 2012
Visit site
I blame Apple for being pedantic about these patents.

As Eric Schmidt has said, All Apple does it litigates but HTC continues to innovate their phones.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jokomad