Should HTC/Sprint give good will gesture?

Who, if anyone, should offer good will gesture for EVO debacle?

• Total voters

ScandaLeX

Mar 1, 2010
Visit site
3 weeks is nothing. I've known customs to hold shipments for months. No company that I'm familiar with ever received advanced notice from customs. As a matter of fact, customs doesn't have to give notice.

Tappin' from my SGP 5.0

biggdogg9

Dec 1, 2011
Visit site
Just read something on phandroid that htc tried to pull one over and sneek it though with out a change

Sent from my PC36100 using Android Central Forums

Mercury81

Jan 26, 2012
Visit site
Have you called and spoken to multiple CSRs to try and get them to give you different answers? Something about this seems off.

Yeah, anyone else here try to get answers by Sprint csr and make them give you different answers,,, that's wrong.lol:)

sent from Evo4G using Tapatalk 2

silverthornne

Dec 27, 2010
Visit site
Lots of posts on this thread make me feel some folks don't understand the concept of a "good will gesture." It's not being owed anything nor related to finding real blame or whatnot. It's just a gesture born from a desire to make the slighted party feel better about an inconvenience.

I recently got assigned to a payment processing division at my company as a manager and it is not uncommon to do a small gesture to make it up to a customer when something goes wrong. Many times the problems aren't even our responsibility, but we are the ones charging the customer so at the end of the day it's not about X issuing bank or x third party that manages x system messing up and us crossing our arms and doing nothing; it's about making it up to the client so they at least feel we got their back and are willing to show a little humility when their experience is soured...

Sent from my SPH-D700 using Tapatalk 2

Reactions: learntall

Mercury81

Jan 26, 2012
Visit site
Maybe Sprint could give all their pre order customers a 25.00 gift card. And thank them for their understanding, patience and acknowledge them as valuable customer.

irishman06

Jan 30, 2010
Visit site
Yeah, anyone else here try to get answers by Sprint csr and make them give you different answers,,, that's wrong.lol:)

My point is more that you're making multiple calls. You'll hear when it ships, let's not overburden the customer service system with potentially frivolous calls.

Sent from my HTC One X using Android Central Forums

jesmann

Sep 1, 2010
www.mokaraoke.com
So the software supposedly violates the patent. The phone itself doesn't what stops HTC from updating over the air to conform (or violate) the patent after it passes. Seems impossible to enforce.

Sent from my PG86100 using Android Central Forums

Quis89

Q&A Team
Oct 15, 2009
Visit site
There always has to be more to what is going on then we the consumer hears or sees first-hand. With this in mind I have to believe that someone took a gamble knowing full well that this delay was a possibility. Obviously Sprint has placed the blame on HTC and HTC is dealing with the problem as quickly as they can considering their resulting stock devaluation and possible losses in the hundreds of thousands, if not millions. Now as Sprint sits back and watches...(with all of our money in their pocket and no problems to speak of other than a moan or groan from customers)... and HTC has their obvious role in this matter, is it unfair of us (the customer) to ask for a gesture of good will from them. I believe that such a gesture should come from BOTH HTC/Sprint in unison in the form of what many such customers, whose complaints I have stumbled upon in the last few days...
  • Waive 36$ activation fee
  • Beats by Dre Headphones
  • Some form of rebate equal to other stores discounts on the EVO
  • Otterbox Defender Case
Those are just a few that I have seen and I am sure people have more, please list them. I don't believe Sprint should bite the bullet alone on this, the same way I don't believe HTC should. For those of us loyal Sprint customers it would be nice to know they care about us enough to apologize for the less than informative behavior on their end and that HTC cares about us for having to bear the brunt of the risk they take in their business.

This sense of entitlement baffles me...how about you call in and cancel your order. I didnt preorder so I'm unsure if you are required to wait until the device arrives to return it or if you can call in and cancel your order and get your money back. If you can indeed call in and cancel then do that...get your money back...and get a different phone. Or wait...but they dont "owe" you anything for free. They cant control the patent laws. They are victims of this just like the consumer. You think they wanted this to happen?

Reactions: vhira82

PhyscoAssassinX

Jun 11, 2010
Visit site
Honestly, we don't deserve anything, sprint didn't do anything wrong, HTC didn't do anything wrong, customs don't say hey btw we're going to check your phones make sure it's doesn't violate anything. It's not how it works, they don't tell the drug runner hey we're going to check these teddy bears for cocaine they just do it, customs is just trying to protect the law, sprint/HTC didn't do anything wrong they really don't owe us anything, if they decided to give us good gesture that's great but it's not Owed to us, I mean technically they did inform us before the release date even if it was the day before. Honestly I blame apple and our screwy judicial system

Sent from my HTC .....oh wait its stuck at customs

Ulairi

Apr 25, 2010
Visit site
Sprint users are some of the worst posters on any forum, I thought it would just stick with webOS but it's over here on Android too. Sprint/HTC owe you nothing. Nothing. The sense of entitlement from Sprint people is so dumbfounding. If you're unhappy then you have 3 other major carriers to choose from as well as many local and regional companies. If you don't like it vote with your dollars.

Last edited:

Quis89

Q&A Team
Oct 15, 2009
Visit site
Sprint users are some of the worst posters on any forum, I thought it would just stick with webOS but it's over here on Android too. Sprint/HTC owe you nothing. Nothing. The sense of entitlement from Sprint people is so dumbfounding. If you're unhappy then you have 3 other major carriers to choose from as well as many local and regional companies. If you don't like it vote with your dollars.

Its definitely not Sprint users....its people in general.

Phoenix Rev

Jun 5, 2010
Visit site
This whole, we deserve something mentality for the bumps in life's road really is out of hand. We're talking about a luxury item and people want compensation? Ridiculous.

Of course. This is the tech version of an old man standing on his lawn and shaking his fist at a passing cloud.

nick3noodles

May 19, 2012
Visit site
I honestly can't see why anyone would think that they're entitled to any sort of compensation from Sprint or HTC. This isn't even a customs problem (granted that they are taking their time to process it) they're just doing they're job to uphold the law if the phones violate a patent then they're hands are basically tied. This is a patent problem. The only real reason that the phones are being held in customs is the fact that the software allows you to click a number or link in a message and allow you to access it rather than having to go back to your home screen and dial it yourself or copy and paste the information into a different medium. That's something that you seriously need to patent? If that is truly the case then the Apple should be sued by the creators of Vlingo for adding Siri to the iPhone.

Reactions: ScandaLeX

Jerry Hildenbrand

Space Cowboy
Staff member
Oct 11, 2009
Visit site
They could also audit their systems, see which customers call in too often with non-technical issues, and drop them like a hot potato.

You'd get your money back for the pre-order, get blacklisted by SSN on Sprint, and be free to find better service elsewhere.

They've done it before.

Reactions: vhira82 and cmandd

Mercury81

Jan 26, 2012
Visit site

I disagree, it's not about entitlement East all. If I were too by a luxury item like a car or something and I was promised delivery on a specified date. Then the dealer calls and say's "sorry we can't deliver it because bla,bla,bla". They would try and give you something for the inconvenience of the situation. You buy a new phone plus a two year contract which Betts Sprint around $2,100.00. A small token like a credit would be nothing compared to a new 2 year contract our several future contracts in up coming years. The problem with some people, is the lack off knowledge of a good customer service brings to a business. This generation doesn't always get that the better you take care of the customer, the more likely they will stay.

Reactions: Hurleygm

Hurleygm

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
Lots of posts on this thread make me feel some folks don't understand the concept of a "good will gesture." It's not being owed anything nor related to finding real blame or whatnot. It's just a gesture born from a desire to make the slighted party feel better about an inconvenience.

I recently got assigned to a payment processing division at my company as a manager and it is not uncommon to do a small gesture to make it up to a customer when something goes wrong. Many times the problems aren't even our responsibility, but we are the ones charging the customer so at the end of the day it's not about X issuing bank or x third party that manages x system messing up and us crossing our arms and doing nothing; it's about making it up to the client so they at least feel we got their back and are willing to show a little humility when their experience is soured...

Sent from my SPH-D700 using Tapatalk 2

Exactly! When you are the last stop to the consumer, you should be willing to keep your customer. Even though things happen, like a fire at the factory, that is not your fault or a patent issue from the manuafacturer.

I am a construction project manager, when I make a promise to someone that I will have people on site and they call in sick or thier grandma dies. The customer doesn't care, they just want thier job done. Sometimes you have to do a little extra for just being one day late for a reason that is out of anyone's control.

Hurleygm

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site

All posters on forums are the worst... Are you kidding me! I thought Sprint was the only company. Thanks!

johnshaft

Apr 21, 2010
Visit site
Nobody's owed anything. You got an expected delivery date on pre-order. And it said exactly that, for exactly this reason. It's an expected date. Not a firm delivery day. If the UPS truck carrying all these phones had caught fire, or the ship transporting them from overseas had sank, would you guys still be complaining? Probably not. So calm down.

I wanted to pre-order this phone, but ended up switching to AT&T and buying a One X last Saturday. A bird in the hand is worth 2 in the bush, and its great to be off Sprint's network -- didn't realize what I've been missing.

All of this will go away, when the ruling and issue is resolved. And as for you enjoy AT&T.

imranmali3

May 7, 2012
Visit site
It's just good business to make your customers happy. If they did offer some sort of gesture, it would tell me, hey Sprint really values that I have stuck with them through all this, I am going to be loyal to them back. Lose-Win-Win!