HTC EVO 4G LTE and palm Touchstone?

dentz

Jan 17, 2012
Visit site
Being a long time Palm/HP Pre user I am ready for an upgrade and am weighing my options between the Galaxy Nexus and HTC EVO 4G LTE. One thing I love about the Pre is the touchstone. I have not used a plug on my phone for months. I know I can modify the Galaxy Nexus and use the Touchstone, but I am wondering if anyone knows if we will be able to do a similar, simple mod to the new HTC.

Last edited:

ImNoPrince

May 7, 2012
Visit site
I would think not having access to the Battery could be an issue. But I think the removable part of the Back could have possible access to the MicroSlot and that could be used with a modified Pre back . I know I played around with my Evo when I 1st got that as I had like 4 Touchstones but never liked the looks of the Phone after I modded it.

I ended up going with HTC drop in cradles all around and they have worked very nice . I hope they come out with something similar for the LTE if not I might have to track down my Touchstones and start looking into it.

ericj12

Nov 14, 2011
Visit site
I would think not having access to the Battery could be an issue. But I think the removable part of the Back could have possible access to the MicroSlot and that could be used with a modified Pre back . I know I played around with my Evo when I 1st got that as I had like 4 Touchstones but never liked the looks of the Phone after I modded it.

I ended up going with HTC drop in cradles all around and they have worked very nice . I hope they come out with something similar for the LTE if not I might have to track down my Touchstones and start looking into it.

i dont think im gonna mind at all really. im not a fan of anything apple but people love the iphone and nobody seems to complain that you cant access the battery.

ImNoPrince

May 7, 2012
Visit site
i dont think im gonna mind at all really. im not a fan of anything apple but people love the iphone and nobody seems to complain that you cant access the battery.

I agree but it just makes it much easier to Mod so you can use a TouchStone and that's what the OP was looking for in this thread.

Also want to add with the Side Mount Plug you can always just mod a case with the TS and just plug it directly in leaving it that way until you need to hook up when you don't have a TS handy. I did that 1st with my Evo but being on the bottom it just didn't look right

camiller

Oct 23, 2009
Visit site
Being a long time Palm/HP Pre user I am ready for an upgrade and am weighing my options between the Galaxy Nexus and HTC EVO 4G LTE. One thing I love about the Pre is the touchstone. I have not used a plug on my phone for months. I know I can modify the Galaxy Nexus and use the Touchstone, but I am wondering if anyone knows if we will be able to do a similar, simple mod to the new HTC.

I've been contemplating this very thing (I'm not upgrade eligible till Aug 1, so I still have time) and I have been considering something along these lines:

1. Try to find a thin'ish and somewhat stretchable case (silicone, TPU, unobtainium, whatever)
  2. Put the charging coil in the case (between the case and phone)
  3. Route a pair of thin wires of appropriate length to a male usb motherboard connector designed for vertical mounting (like this) possibly modified a bit ;)
  4. Use sugru (or something like it) to pot the connection if needed.
  5. Phone in case connected to the DIY usb connector inside the case should be able to be placed on touchstone for charging.

Essentially a diy version of the powermat iphone case. No permanent mods to the phone.

Things I haven't figured out yet:
  • Would the thickness of the case keep the coil in the case from properly coupling to the coil in the touchstone. The palm pre back is pretty thin.
  • Minimum gauge of the wire. (I can probably find on the net)

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
asha_kanta_sharma