SVDO not working for me!

cloak.n.dagger

Jun 24, 2010
Visit site
So, I was all excited to ear about SVDO (simultanious voice/data) getting turned on for these phones. However, I am not seeing that functionality. I just logged into the Google Play Store for the first time ans started the update/download process for all my apps. In the middle of this a call came in, so I answered it. After the call, I went back into Play Store and all downloads were stopped! I started them all back up again and another call came in! I answered it and returned to the Store to find an error message stating that my wireless connection was lost (I had 4 bars of 3G)! Do you have to turn this functionality on somewhere or was/is it just a pipe dream?

KahneFan

Jul 17, 2011
www.ezthemer.com
I will also wait for other answers, but from my understanding (of previous Sprint phones), SVDO works if you are on 2 connections at the sametime (WiFi+Network). If you are only using 1 (i.g. Network alone) then you can not use SVDO.

jmartinbsu

Apr 9, 2010
Visit site
The instruction manual I read on inside Sprint now (I'm assuming it's the same one in my box which I didn't read yet) stated that it can due simultaneous data and voice if you're connected to wifi. It didn't mention on 3g cdma (I dont' think it's possible). Maybe if you are in a 4g area?

abdnach

Sep 27, 2010
Visit site
This phone should be capable of SVDO (simultaneous voice and data) over 3G. I don't have my phone yet to answer any of your questions about how to turn on this capability but I know for a fact that this phone IS CAPABLE of talking on the phone and surfing OVER 3G at the same time. Sorry I can't help out more than that!

Enjoy your phone while I wait for mine :'(

cloak.n.dagger

Jun 24, 2010
Visit site
Simul has always worked when wifi is enabled, so that would not be a new feature to talk about. The video (that others have posted) specifically shows a data speed test running via the 3G connection while a voice call is in progress. This functionality is not working based on my experience. I have looked through all the settings for the data connection and there doesn't seem to be any way to toggle this option. So, my guess is, maybe some of the review untils had this feature enabled (which is why we were able to see it in action before the phone even shipped) but the final production untils have this turned off.

tndank

Jul 31, 2010
Visit site
Have you tried starting a data connection after you've connected with a call? Call, they answer, then launch the browser.

imex99

May 16, 2010
Visit site
Wifi off and voice and data working on 3g for me.

425772f3-a7a3-1cad.jpg

Look at status bar, using 3g and surfing espn native screen shot.
Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk 2

MexRex

May 26, 2012
Visit site
When I'm on a call and on WiFi, I cannot browse the internets. I can browse the internets if I turn off WiFi and 3G takes over. With my OG EVO I was able to be on a call and browse the internets. I do see the blinking green hue when on a call and WiFi but it won't work. Was this removed?

Edit: Disregard my internets was down.

Last edited:

BlueCarbon

Aug 26, 2011
Visit site
First let me say that there is only one Internet. I don't know why you are calling it internets. Anyway, I have the HTC EVO 4G LTE and I always have an Internet connection, even if my WiFi is off because this phone supports SV-DO on 3G.

Vysse

Dec 16, 2010
Visit site
From what I understand some towers don't support the function yet

Sent from my EVO using Android Central Forums

Mikey47

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site

Sent from my EVO using Android Central Forums

EDIT: I missed the word "some" in your post. I guess I'm talking about the other "some") towers that do support it. :p

They sure do! But Sprint has warned that it is only under certain conditions that it will work. Funny thing is that every time I've tried it it works just fine.

silverthornne

Dec 27, 2010
Visit site
Actually, I think it's not SVDO failing. Seems to me that the problem is the multitasking issue.

I've started updating or downloading from the Play Store and then do something else like reading Flipboard and a few other things. Then I go back to the store and see the downloads haven't progressed at all! This is all in Wifi and I've had it happen a lot so I think it's just Sense killing whatever process is handling the downloads...

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk 2

taronba25

Jun 9, 2011
Visit site
So, I was all excited to ear about SVDO (simultanious voice/data) getting turned on for these phones. However, I am not seeing that functionality. I just logged into the Google Play Store for the first time ans started the update/download process for all my apps. In the middle of this a call came in, so I answered it. After the call, I went back into Play Store and all downloads were stopped! I started them all back up again and another call came in! I answered it and returned to the Store to find an error message

stating that my wireless connection was lost (I had 4 bars of 3G)! Do you have to turn this functionality on somewhere or was/is it just a pipe dream?

The phone has two radios in it, I believe, so there are no settings, switches or things to do. It works when you turn it on, if your connectivity is ok. It should work all the time.

droidlife4life

Jun 22, 2011
Visit site
People, the svdo function of the evo lte is based off the processor and has nothing to do with the network. The s4 is capable in all phones it runs (including gs3) I agree with earlier post thinking its a multitasking issue cuz I have personally tested it in multiple evo ltes as well as the new gs3 and it definetly works...

Glenn

Nov 2, 2010
Visit site

This.

SVDO works in my area, but may or may not work in yours. Not all Sprint towers have been upgraded to support it. There is no setting on the phone to switch it on or off, it will simply work if you're connected to a tower that supports it. It has nothing to do with the phone's multitasking.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zif835