How is the reception quality? (WIFI,3G, GPS, etc...)

bntran02

Oct 13, 2011
Visit site
I've had the og EVO 4G and was pretty pleased with the reception and speedy GPS locks. I am now using the Epic 4G Touch and have noticed a significant increase in radio issues compared to my og EVO. ie: Total LOS, GPS never locking, constant roaming at work (where the EVO was solid at 1-2 Bars), weaker wifi signal, etc...

Can anyone tell me if the new EVO 4G LTE holds true to having better radios than Samsung phones in general?

Last edited:

RG129

May 16, 2010
Visit site
Re: How is the reception quality?

Haven't really used the phone to talk to anybody, but I have noticed that the bars fluctuate more than my EVO3D. I don't know if that directly relates to dropped calls or not, I doubt it, because it never completely lost signal.

However, my data speeds seem to be higher than with my old phone. (~1.1mb dl compared to ~.7mb dl on my 3D in my apartment).

GPS locks super quick and accuracy in some apps show it's better than my 3D

UNSCleric

May 10, 2012
Visit site

My GPS is faster and even more accurate to my very exact spot and when I tested my wifi with Speedtest I got higher than any other device I've ever tried (20 down, 8.5 up).

BOSSY TEXAS CHICK

Mar 2, 2011
Visit site

i'm really curious about this as well.

Anyone can post what phone they are coming from and if they find a noticible difference in the signal in what that got vs what this is getting?

My OG EVO could always connect (albeit slow) when i was at my desk, but my Samsung Epic Touch sitting right at its side used to flounder and bomb out, try after try, test after test...

Used to avg download speeds of 800+ kpbs with the EVO but under a 100kbps for ET4G, OG EVO would consistantly ping under 200, ET4G usually 900+....first i thought it was my imagination (went thru THREE ET4g's) but i'm convinced Samsung radios are inferior to HTC (at least to the OG EVO, but then again, back then, what phone WASN'T?! :-*

BTC

Last edited:

kbp08tls

Apr 28, 2012
Visit site
So far so good with the E4GLTE. WiFi speeds are a little higher side by side compared with my old Optimus, and the couple of speed tests I've run on 3G are about 200k higher than before. Well see how that averages out over time. Haven't done much testing with GPS yet. The couple of times I've used it seemed quick and accurate.
This mornings commute will be a good test. I ride a train that goes through some pretty flaky coverage areas that brought my old phone to its knees.

Sent from my E4GLTE using Android Central Forums

castingon

Nov 2, 2010
Visit site
I haven't left the house since I got the phone so I've been using WiFi. I turned on the 3G this morning and attached my first two Speedtests. Not shabby. If I reactivate my OG EVO today I'll post a comparison.

Husband commented on how much better the voice quality was. Call on my OG EVO sucked and I ended up using the speaker or Bluetooth.

Sent from my EVO using Android Central Forums

Csan508

May 12, 2012
Visit site

I know for me I get a very speedy good gps lock
and I have noticed that my evo is faster than
most Motorola phone's. That I have in
my house so I say it is. A very good
phone well worth. The money

bntran02

Oct 13, 2011
Visit site

Very good to hear positive reports of signal quality!

I am considering the Evo LTE vs Galaxy S3 but was very concerned about samsung vs HTC's signal quality. Looks like I may actually pull the trigger on the EVO LTE.

Any additional positive/negative reports on signal quality would be greatly appreciated.

race4life

Aug 12, 2010
Visit site
I am coming from a Galaxy II and I notice a drop in signal strength move to the EVOLTE. In spots before I would have 1 bar with the Galaxy but still make and receive calls. With the EVOLTE, I can't make or receive calls in those sames locations. I am going to see if it gets better, if not mine might be going back.

bobby35ny

Sep 3, 2010
Visit site
I've had the og EVO 4G and was pretty pleased with the reception and speedy GPS locks. I am now using the Epic 4G Touch and have noticed a significant increase in radio issues compared to my og EVO. ie: Total LOS, GPS never locking, constant roaming at work (where the EVO was solid at 1-2 Bars), weaker wifi signal, etc...

Can anyone tell me if the new EVO 4G LTE holds true to having better radios than Samsung phones in general?

Look at my sig, the samsung had horrible radios. The EVOLTE is just like out old school Evo 4G. Raidos are fine.
-Bobby

kbp08tls

Apr 28, 2012
Visit site
Well, I was able to stream Play Music without it pausing to buffer every couple of minutes for the first time ever this morning. Hopefully that's not an aberration. I did lose coverage in the same couple of places I've always lost it, but it seems there was enough music cached to get through - which means I was getting better bandwidth when I did have a signal. So, cautiously optimistic for now.

losino

Dec 16, 2011
Visit site
I have come to the conclusion that Samsung phones all across the board seem to have reception issues. I am using a nexus s 4g and have weaker reception than I should

Go Bucs!

kevster1321

Aug 3, 2010
Visit site
i think i will have to exchange my EVO LTE because mine 3g/wifi cuts in and out. but i do love this phone and the GPS locks on really quick.

jnl813

Jun 21, 2010
Visit site
Coming from an Epic Touc 4G( GS2)...wow this thing blows that out of the water in signal anything!!! GPS literally locked in less than 5 seconds! Wifi was WAY stronger in the same room as my old phone... Man I've missed HTC!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kerokekerol