Anyone else have issues with the screen saturation?

xavier28

Aug 2, 2010
Visit site
All pictures with people I view on my screen makes their skin look really red. When I take pictures of people I have the same issue. I fixed the camera by taking down the saturation in the camera settings but it doesn't help me with just viewing pictures on my phone. Definitely a noticeable difference viewing on my phone vs. Computer or hell, even someone else's phone...

ollieg

Apr 11, 2012
Visit site
Yep. Crazy red ruddiness on Caucasian faces. Grass greens so exaggerated the grass appears to be fake.

The camera is clearly doing an excellent job, but the screen is crazy saturated. I think the camera team at HTC is off crying somewhere.

diamondsranch

Jun 1, 2012
Visit site
My new Sprint EVO 4g LTE is also making skin flesh tones super orange and sometimes super blotchy pink. Looks like you have a really bad rash or something. My dog is tan but when I take pictures he is orange. I think I may return it before my 14 day return is up because this is not good and afraid they won't have a fix since they know about it from all the forums and no fix is out still or even mentioning about a fix. SAD Also mine keeps wanting to set the time saying that it can't find the time zone although I have it on automatic and I have good service. It also seems to have a horrible time going from Roaming back to Sprint network. Even though I restart my phone and everything it takes 20 minutes AT LEAST to get back on Sprint and stop searching for a network. My old EVO has never had any of these problems. !!!! This is suppose to be the new flagship.

Robynsnest

Apr 14, 2012
Visit site
I've seen it too. I'm fixing my saturation now. I did find that photoshop (free app) helps to adust the pics.
**just lowered saturation and that helped a lot** also try using Camera360. It's a great app and I like it better. Recently I've also been playing with Ucam and I like all the options you have with it.

midmofan

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site
The -1 on saturation is a big help for me. Another app to try is Avery photo Editor. Its not an app per se, but shows up if you hit "share" the photo, it has an auto enhance feature which I think works quite well and you can do other effects without every leaving the photo album itself. If you like the results you just hit apply and it saves the photo.

secretmethod70

Jun 6, 2010
Visit site
One of the very first things I noticed about the EVO LTE when I got it was the intensity of reds on the screen and especially in the camera app. Since reds seem to be extra saturated even when not using the camera app, I figured it was just the display. Can anyone describe whether or not photos taken with the EVO LTE look just as saturated when viewed on another screen? If so, it seems that midmofan's suggestion is a decent and simple fix for this, but it's still really disappointing if that's what the photos actually look like. For all the hype HTC is making about the camera on the One series, it's a major failure for it to take such poor looking photos of people.

Unreasnbl

Apr 12, 2012
Visit site
That does not fix the display. It just makes the pictures you take under-saturated.

The display will still be bad, and your under-saturated images will be ok on screen, but washed out on any device with a decent display.

There is a thread on this on the Sprint Forums.

Sprint Community: NEW EVO LTE HAS SATURATION PROBLEM

We should all post there so we can get Sprint to take action.

go to settings in the camera app and move saturation down to - 1

wyrdangel

Nov 2, 2010
Visit site
I have the issue as well. It is a shame because otherwise I am quite happy with the phone and this is really the only thing bugging me. I have until Thurs. to return it (assuming that the 14 days is calculated from when the UPS guy arrived at my house) and will consider doing so if I haven't heard that Sprint/HTC have acknowledged the issue and it looks like there is a *software* fix in the pipeline.

It makes me sad though. I have really been enjoying it otherwise :(

rsk2mc

Banned
Jul 20, 2010
Visit site
Change your ISO level from automatic try like 200

sent from my blobfish (if you don't know what a blobfish is, Google it)

TraderGary

Trusted Member
Apr 12, 2012
Visit site
I'm not seeing a color problem with mine. I use many of my images as wallpaper just to show off the color accuracy of my camera and IPS screen. The IPS screen technology is well known for its color accuracy.

Sh3ngLong

May 16, 2010
Visit site
The color temperature of my screen is warm also. This is noticeable with people pictures -- their skin color has a hint of yellow or orange.

Someone over at xda has two EVO LTE and posted a pic of the two side-by-side. You can see that the right one is more warm than the other.

attachment.php

Screen color is warm, is everyone elses the same? - Page 2 - xda-developers

Unreasnbl

Apr 12, 2012
Visit site
The problem is the display, not the camera. Play some videos with people in them. You will see non-human colors.

The ISO setting of the camera and the various photo programs have nothing to do with the actual display settings. All you can do is mess up your images with these suggestions. I am a photographer for over 29 years. I don't use my phone camera very much. I use a Nikon D3 or D3x for images that matter.

I do use the phone to watch videos, so I want that to work properly.

Change your ISO level from automatic try like 200

sent from my blobfish (if you don't know what a blobfish is, Google it)

Pixlr and picsArt are pretty good photo editors also try beFunky

Sent from my EVO

hypercubexl

May 17, 2012
Visit site
Maybe I just lucked out, but I have not seen boosted reds or overly warm colors on mine, even holding it up next to my calibrated work monitors, and viewing the same pictures from the phone it is consistent. Even tried looking at old pictures from different cameras etc. on all available devices, all seems fine. It is very saturated, but it isn't wrong.

All of these seeming variations in internal hardware/software QC make me worried about trying to get my phone replaced because it has a physical defect, I wonder if I will be "lucky" again on everything else.

alexwick

May 29, 2012
Visit site
also mine show oversaturated red colours in skins! hope to get a fix for that it is pretty annoying... and no! dont change the camera settings like said before... that will just give you crappy photos what look ok on the phone but crappy everywhere else....

DougB541#CB

May 15, 2010
Visit site
So I'm curious, how come none of the professional reviewers cough this before?

Seems like it's something you'd notice right away.

i still don't notice it really.

Also, i don't think any phone screen is calibrated perfectly. Still makes this the best screen on the market imo.