Two things that really stand out to me initially about this phone. Instinctively, I find myself reaching for the search button I had on my OG EVO quite a bit. I must have used it more than I knew. The other thing that is stranger is that when turning the screen on I automatically reach for the volume key thinking that's where the power button "should" be. This is strange only because I couldn't tell you when I have owned a phone that had it there but for me it just feels like it should be there..Anyone else?
    05-27-2012 06:40 AM
    I think going to the 3 button layout is one of the dumbest things Android has done thus far. The menu button would get used more than a stupid dedicated multitasking button. I couldn't count how many times per day I press the search button, at least 30.

As much as I dislike the on screen buttons and the Galaxy Nexus even more (Samsung sucks), one major advantage is with a mod you can add the search button back.
    05-27-2012 06:58 AM
    Agreed. I keep thinking someone is going to show me a simple way to search because it is so counterintuitive to remove the butto
    05-27-2012 07:50 AM
    I know for the One X, their ROMs get rid if the menu button and give menu functions to the app switcher. This screen is huge though so it doesn't really bother me. I'd be ok with something holding down the recent apps button emulated a menu press though.
    05-27-2012 08:06 AM
    Agreed. I keep thinking someone is going to show me a simple way to search because it is so counterintuitive to remove the butto
    Maybe, I'm hoping there is a long press option on one of the buttons that will allow a search or voice search.

Even more surprising than Googles decision to remove the search button, was their decision to force and lock the search widget onto the homescreen (on the Galaxy Nexus), as if they knew they screwed up.
    05-27-2012 08:09 AM
    Its such a waste of home screen real estate to have to put google search bar there. Long press on old phones worked well. Long pressing now does nothing. Wonder if this was tested with long time Android users
    05-27-2012 11:53 AM
    I also miss the "long press to launch Voice Search" functionality that I had on my OG EVO.

I'm hoping someone can bring that back and assign it to the HOME button (or make it configurable to any button, including the camera shutter button).

Sprint/HTC should've at least left the "Voice Search" app icon so I can put it on the dock.
    05-27-2012 03:57 PM
    I also miss the "long press to launch Voice Search" functionality that I had on my OG EVO.

I'm hoping someone can bring that back and assign it to the HOME button (or make it configurable to any button, including the camera shutter button).

Sprint/HTC should've at least left the "Voice Search" app icon so I can put it on the dock.

Not sure sprint or HTC had any control since that the Google voice search app. You can get vlingo and put it on the dock though
    05-27-2012 04:45 PM
    The other thread ( http://forums.androidcentral.com/htc...und-lte-3.html ) mentions an app ( https://forums.androidcentral.com/e?...token=WM-7vVV7 ) that does nothing but generate a single 1x1 widget button, you can then drag that onto your taskbar. However, it contains nagware notifications.

Are there any other alternatives? It is hard to believe there is no HTC widget or other single button available for Voice Search! It was nice to have that option always available.... but I can't put the included 4x1 sized widget on the taskbar.
    05-30-2012 07:37 PM
    I think going to the 3 button layout is one of the dumbest things Android has done thus far. The menu button would get used more than a stupid dedicated multitasking button. I couldn't count how many times per day I press the search button, at least 30.

As much as I dislike the on screen buttons and the Galaxy Nexus even more (Samsung sucks), one major advantage is with a mod you can add the search button back.
    I totally agree with you on the menu button! Makes NO sense. All we have is unused real estate down there...
    05-30-2012 09:21 PM
    Here's my solutions to the voice search button woes

http://forums.androidcentral.com/sho....php?p=1820032

Sent from my ALL NEW HTC Evo 4G LTE!!
    05-31-2012 01:41 PM
    Me, too! Loved it on my old evo 4g. Long press to activate the voice. Then I just tell it I wanna text someone. Then voice text..hit send! was so easy!!!
    07-17-2013 02:53 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD