Weird noises with AUX jack in the car?

yota265

Mar 10, 2011
Visit site
It's caused because the car charger doesn't have a dedicated ground but a shared ground. A shielded aux cable might help a bit. And if you can get the snap-on shields for the power cable will help some also.

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk 2

jocatman

Jul 12, 2012
Visit site
I have the same issue in my car. When power supply plugged into the EVO 4G LTE with aux jack in use the nasty sound occurs, even if I am not using any apps. Once I start playing music through either Android player or Pandora, sound goes away, until in between songs, which is nerve racking. I am using same power supply as I did for EVO 4G, which had no issues. Basically killing my ability to charge phone when I drive. I drive 1 1/2 hours each way to and from work every day. Really sux. So does anyone have a real solution? Is anyone using a charger that is specifically for the LTE and have the same problem?

Other major dissappoint with this phone: on the old 4G, if I had several apps open, sometimes going from an app to the Home Screen would cause the phone to reload everything and I had to wait for it to do so. Thought this high-powered phone would stop that, but know... same cr*p. Got some nice improvements, but these two issues almost completely negate the benefits of the other pros. So generally dissatisfied with this "upgrade" for the $$.

Mercury81

Jan 26, 2012
Visit site
Hmm every time I plug any device in my car stereo jack, I always get a noise. It usually means it made the connection .:beer::D

sent from EVO4GLTE

jocatman

Jul 12, 2012
Visit site
I called both Sprint and HTC and neither claimed to have any previous reports. I was told by HTC that there is no difference in the specifications for the 4G vs. 4g LTE. She tried to blame the car charger for going bad. I don't know if it is worth it to try a new charger or not.

I did try a different aux cable and same result. I then tried with my earplugs with the cable and there was no issue. So the problem is a result of the complete connection from the charger to the phone to the aux cable into the aux jack.

(BTW, it is not a one-time sound when it plugs inl it is a constant hum/hiss/crackle.)

groundshock

Jun 28, 2012
Visit site
I've had my EvoLTE for almost a month now. Already on my 3rd one. First one the kickstand fell off, second one the screen magically cracked before my eyes, and now this 3rd one has this issue.

Put the phone in the Sprint car dock, plug in jack, and get this random screechy-scratchy noise that essentially ruins any music playback. Phone volume through speakers licks balls too.

Pulled phone out of car dock, but left jack plugged in, and noise instantly stops.

Add this to the list of wrong with this phone. Should've stuck with my OG.

Mercury81

Jan 26, 2012
Visit site
I've had my EvoLTE for almost a month now. Already on my 3rd one. First one the kickstand fell off, second one the screen magically cracked before my eyes, and now this 3rd one has this issue.

Put the phone in the Sprint car dock, plug in jack, and get this random screechy-scratchy noise that essentially ruins any music playback. Phone volume through speakers licks balls too.

Pulled phone out of car dock, but left jack plugged in, and noise instantly stops.

Did you try another plug...?

sent from EVO4GLTE

groundshock

Jun 28, 2012
Visit site
It's only audible when charging and plugged into the AUX jack. On different chargers and stereos.

Unplug the charger, noise stops. AC charger, car charger, don't matter.

Makes listening to music from the car dock unbearable.

Corysm

May 30, 2012
Visit site
It's the road noise interference. Common problem with aftermarket stereo systems. They make noise filters for aftermarket systems but not for this application.

Sent from my EVO using Android Central Forums

Saneless

Apr 20, 2010
Visit site
I have the same issue with this phone.

And I said "This phone" because I've used an iPhone, Nexus One, EVO 4G, Nexus S, and EVO 3D in this exact same car, exact same cables, and the LTE is the only phone that has this problem.

FaisDogg

Jun 4, 2011
Visit site

It's an issue with your car, buy an adapter called ground wire isolator and add it behind your car stereo,you will be golden for life or simply buy an aux cable with built in ground isolation...its not the phone...does the noise get louder as you accelerate?

Sent from EVO 4G LTE

jocatman

Jul 12, 2012
Visit site
Okay, after more research, it is definitely a ground issue and it is an issue with many different kinds of phones. While I suspect it is the case design of the LTE with the metal trim, THERE IS A SOLUTION :D

I purchased and just tested the Kensington Noise Reducing AUX Audio Cable and it did as most others on Amazon said it does... it kills the problem. It can be had for as little as $13. It has 4 1/2 out of 5 stars with 150 reviews, mine soon to be added. So I hope anyone else coming to this board will have an easy time fixing their problem going forward.

Cheers,

Cat

Reactions: Mercury81

Bassbiker

Jun 6, 2012
Visit site
I've been using the "ENERCELL" car power adapter from Radio Shack and it has eliminated all road noise. Looks like it's p/n: 2730696 and runs $19.99 at the Shack. I have 2 of them with one for my motorcycle and one in my truck and have had no issues with road noise.

Aug 3, 2013
Visit site
OKAY GUYS, here's what's going on.

Your car has a "ground" (in electrical terms), and when your phone is charging, the charger, or your phone's battery, or whatever, also has a "ground". Usually, ground is supposed to be the same, but in truth, it isn't always, and that causes a ground loop Ground loop (electricity) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia -- what this means is that if you have your phone output to the car, then there are two electrical "grounds" which are supposed to be the same (and if it was the same voltage, it'd be silent and not cause buzz). But instead, when it's plugged into the car, there is a ground loop, which then makes electricity flow, which makes the static buzz. A ground loop isolator will solve this and remove the buzz, so I'd really recommend that.

YOUR PHONE IS NOT DEFECTIVE, this buzz is totally normal with GSM/EDGE/LTE, but shouldn't happen with 3G/HSPA/CMDA because of the technology. The cell radio turns on and off at ~800Hz, which is audible. It is not because of the cell phone frequency (which is 700-1900 MHz, which is wayyyyy too high frequency to hear). A shielded cable won't fix the issue and there's nothing wrong with your car, or the phone, or anything else.

In short, get a ground loop isolator, or the kensington noise reducing cable like this on amazon Amazon.com: Kensington Noise Reducing Car Audio AUX Cable for MP3 or SmartPhone, including iPhone 4S: MP3 Players & Accessories

-Geobio

crisr

Aug 4, 2013
Visit site
OKAY GUYS, here's what's going on.

Your car has a "ground" (in electrical terms), and when your phone is charging, the charger, or your phone's battery, or whatever, also has a "ground". Usually, ground is supposed to be the same, but in truth, it isn't always, and that causes a ground loop Ground loop (electricity) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

YOUR PHONE IS NOT DEFECTIVE, this buzz is totally normal with GSM/EDGE/LTE, but shouldn't happen with 3G/HSPA/CMDA because of the technology. The cell radio turns on and off at ~800Hz, which is audible. It is not because of the cell phone frequency (which is 700-1900 MHz, which is wayyyyy too high frequency to hear). A shielded cable won't fix the issue and there's nothing wrong with your car, or the phone, or anything else.
-Geobio

How does the shielded/grounded AUX cable address the chirping BETWEEN songs? I understand if there is a continuous buzz or hiss, but something in the phones software is allowing or causing a distinct chirping sound pulsing at about 1.5 Hz for the last few seconds of a song until after the first few seconds of the next song. If there is a ground problem, then why doesn't this chirp exist continuously?

I think a constant hissing or whining is a ground loop problem, and the intermittent chirping is a software issue. Two distinct and separate issues. Thoughts?

Cadenz

Sep 12, 2011
Visit site
Crisr is right, it's 2 separate and legitimate problems. I had the ground loop problem on my old EVO which was fixed with the forementioned ground loop aux wire. But the chirping squeak in between songs that the op mentions is a separate problem. I have this problem in my LTE EVO when I use headphones and not charging.

JERICHO_RAIN

May 9, 2016
Visit site
Crisr is right, it's 2 separate and legitimate problems. I had the ground loop problem on my old EVO which was fixed with the forementioned ground loop aux wire. But the chirping squeak in between songs that the op mentions is a separate problem. I have this problem in my LTE EVO when I use headphones and not charging.

I had the same problem. It's a simple issue. I had the interference from the car, the AC, etc. It was because I had one of those cheap car USB cig lighter plugs that you find at the checkout. After a few months I went and spent $25 on a quality one from staples, I think the brand is scoche anyway...problem solved. The cheaper USB plugs are crap and the higher quality plugs and car adapters make the difference. The cords don't really matter.

So when you hear different things interfering with the audio it's just electronics from your car affecting it and depending on what your phone's drive is doing it changes the sound of interference. Hope this helps someone.

Jasonklim27

Aug 17, 2011
Visit site
I second what Paredes says. When I hook up my EVO 4G LTE to the auxiliary port in my car, it makes a weird fuzzy sound between songs. Car speakers/aux jack/aux cable are all fine. I think it may be a problem with the phone itself :-\

This is not a phone issue, it has to do with how the electrical system in your car is wired up.(unless it does this without your phone charger being plugged in, then it's a phone issue)

To fix this you can use a diode on your ground wire that runs to your cigarrete/12vdc port. This will allow phone to ground but will not let alternater/battery feedback come back through

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laila Nance