Custom Notification Sounds

Maven454

Jun 15, 2010
Visit site
Since they merged the Ringer and Notification volume into one slider, I wanted to make a silent notification sound for the times that I want it to ring but not bug me with anything else. But I can't get it to recognize a custom sound. I tried mp3 and m4a files in the Notifications folder on the internal "sdcard" and in the media/notifications folder on my real sdcard, but they just don't show up in the list of sounds for notifications. My custom mp3 ringtone in media/ringtones on the real sdcard works just fine. Anyone have any ideas? Or the same problem?

jlo8720

Aug 15, 2011
Visit site
I didn't drop to any special folder, rather just placed on the SD card and navigated to it and set as ringtone/tone

Mophomania

Oct 9, 2011
Visit site
I haven't checked on this phone yet, but had this same issue on the photon. I downloaded astro file manager and searched all folders until i found the notifications folder. Then I dropped/transferred my own mp4 sounds there. It worked on that phone. I haven't had time to do it on this one. I miss Chubacca groaning for new Gmail.:D

sent from my wicked EVO ONE using mind beam.

MexRex

May 26, 2012
Visit site
Since they merged the Ringer and Notification volume into one slider, I wanted to make a silent notification sound for the times that I want it to ring but not bug me with anything else. But I can't get it to recognize a custom sound. I tried mp3 and m4a files in the Notifications folder on the internal "sdcard" and in the media/notifications folder on my real sdcard, but they just don't show up in the list of sounds for notifications. My custom mp3 ringtone in media/ringtones on the real sdcard works just fine. Anyone have any ideas? Or the same problem?

I copied mine to sdcard/notifications and they work.

Maven454

Jun 15, 2010
Visit site
Okay, for anyone else who has this issue.

1) You can't have the HTC Music app disabled or it won't pick up new items in the folders.
2) You may have to reboot to get it to pick up new items in the folders.
3) It seems to prefer mp3 files, though m4a files may work.
4) For the ring/notification tone name, it uses the mp3 info not the filename.
5) While the item (if it's a notification tone) should go in the Notifications folder, to get it to show up in the Settings -> Sound -> Notification Tone list, you must go to Settings -> Sound -> Ringtone -> Add and pick the item there. Then you can change back to your preferred ringtone, go to the Notification Tone list and pick it as a Notification Tone.