Sprint Zone

geauxlsutigers

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
On THIS phone I haven't yet. Not sure if it is just because it doesn't do that now (which I doubt) or Sprint hasn't sent any yet. Happened regularly on the Evo 3D, but there was an option to "unsubscribe" to all the various "channels", and it worked. It is missing in THIS version of Sprint Zone.

Sprint Zone is a pretty useful app for most people. Not directing this at you crxssi, but I always hear people call some of the carrier software, bloatware, when it can be useful and sometimes without even trying it. It's almost damned if you do and damned if you don't for the carriers, if you do offer it, you are infringing on people's privacy, stealing their personal information, slowing the phone down, and every other possible negative remark (seriously, read carrier app review comments in the app store. And if you don't, you don't care about your customers and you're just a greedy corporation trying to make it hard for people to pay their bill??? (I have actually seen this comment on Google Play). At least Sprint was the first carrier to allow removal of most carrier apps, I suspect Sprint Zone is non-removable due to built-in diagnostic tool.

- Open Sprint Zone app
- Touch the 3 dots ( ... ) on the top right corner
- Select Settings at the bottom
- Under Settings, uncheck Display Notifications

Simple as that.

Last edited:
Reactions: zmann

crxssi

Linux: The power beneath
May 31, 2010
Visit site
Even though I can't disable it on the Evo LTE, I have never gotten a notification from Sprint Zone on this new phone. With the last update, when you go into Sprint Zone settings, there is a box to uncheck called "Display notifications".

crxssi

May 31, 2010
Visit site
Sprint Zone is a pretty useful app for most people. Not directing this at you crxssi, but I always hear people call some of the carrier software, bloatware, when it can be useful and sometimes without even trying it. It's almost damned if you do and damned if you don't for the carriers,

My problem is/was based on the history of Sprint Zone, which constantly spammed me on my Evo 4G/3D. That is/was unacceptable behavior. It is fine to have the app available, but it should never spam the user and give the user no way to opt out, and it should also be disableable through ICS controls like any other app.

zmann

Nov 9, 2010
Visit site
Personally, I could live with or without it. I don't consider it bloatware because it has a purpose. Now that I know I can disable it I probably won't. It's not like you get notifications everyday. Twice a month maybe so no biggie.
Sent from my EVO 4g lte

crxssi

May 31, 2010
Visit site
Personally, I could live with or without it. I don't consider it bloatware because it has a purpose. Now that I know I can disable it

You can't disable Sprint Zone, but you can now turn off the notifications (which I think is what you meant).

I probably won't. It's not like you get notifications everyday. Twice a month maybe so no biggie.

When it was spamming me on my previous phone, it was more than twice a month.... and to me it was the principle more than the actual spam. It was telling me that it was not MY phone that I paid thousands of dollars for (cost of phone + service), it was Sprint's advertising device that I was just using.

I have the same problem with the GPS on my motorcycle, which now spams me every third time I power it on with a message about how I should buy a wonderful "update" program from Garmin because it decided that my maps are too old. And it requires that I press a button to clear it before it will continue to boot, delaying loading the music for another 60 seconds.

What's next? Will my refrigerator tell me about other Frigidaire products twice a week? Will my car decide to interrupt my peaceful drive to help me decide to visit the dealer for a free oil change when I buy four tires?

Thankfully it is not an issue with Sprint Zone anymore.

Emmanuel11

Oct 28, 2010
Visit site
I don't consider a lot of sprint apps bloatware cause they are fun and informative thank to Sprint Zone I can get 2.5 days of battery life without charging it up at the end of the day like I used to.

Darth Mo

May 17, 2010
Visit site
"Bloatware" is a deprecated term on any modern phone.

When you only had 512 MB of on phone storage and no apps to SD, storage space was at a premium.

But with 2+ GB of app storage as well as apps to SD, space is no longer an issue.

But being forced to get notifications from app you don't care about is a bit ridiculous.

Sent from my EVO using Android Central Forums

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Xd3dp1gX