Desktop Dock for EVO 4G LTE?

a22matic

May 10, 2012
Visit site
crxssi - I have the same thoughts about what's taking HTC so long. Do you think the delay could possibly be related to Sprint, or could it be a numbers (vs. One X owners) game?

Sent from my EVO LTE baby!

crxssi

Linux: The power beneath
May 31, 2010
Visit site
I just sent an Email to HTC asking if we can expect an LTE dock or not.

"When a dock is released by HTC, it will be available from the official ShopAmerica HTC website located at the following address: [ http://shopamerica.htc.com/homebrands/index.htm ]. While I have no specific information on when or if an official dock will be released, the ShopAmerica website would be the location for the product to be sold once it is released."

Well, I wasn't expecting much.

Last edited:

crawform

Sep 9, 2009
Visit site
That was mentioned in this thread but not reviewed:

http://forums.androidcentral.com/ht...s-desktop-charging-cradle-htc-evo-4g-lte.html

The main problems with the 3rd party docks are failing these:

1) USB connector is not too tight, allowing one-handed use.
2) Weighted enough to allow one-handed use and not moving on desk.
3) Cradle the phone enough on bottom and back and sides to protect the phone from bending or being knocked or pushed out (think cats), which could also severely damage USB port.
4) Correct overall fit- no movement when docked, no forcing either.
5) Dock mode button (seems like no model has a dock button).
6) Power indicator.

Could you comment on the KiDiGi in regards to the above criteria? It sounds like you covered #3 and #5 only.

I've been using the KiDiGi cradle for a few weeks now and believe that it performs very well against items 1, 2, 3 and 4. Fails 5 (which is annoying). It also fails 6 since it does not have any LED indicators (although the phone LED is fully visible while docked). Two other criteria not in your list are: 7) the KiDiGi cradle does not connect to the PC if you connect via a USB cable (charges only), and 8) the KiDiGi cradle does not provide any audio out capability.

Hope this is helpful.

Reactions: crxssi

kiwicarlos741

May 16, 2012
Visit site
I'm not going to lie its a lot harder to get this kickstand open than the original, making it a hassle. Does having the screen on not mess it up in the long run if u use it on a desktop dockj

Sent from my EVO using Android Central Forums

crxssi

May 31, 2010
Visit site
I've been using the KiDiGi cradle for a few weeks now and believe that it performs very well against items 1, 2, 3 and 4. Fails 5 (which is annoying). It also fails 6 since it does not have any LED indicators (although the phone LED is fully visible while docked). Two other criteria not in your list are: 7) the KiDiGi cradle does not connect to the PC if you connect via a USB cable (charges only), and 8) the KiDiGi cradle does not provide any audio out capability.

Hope this is helpful.

That is helpful. Thanks. Your #7 and #8 are good additions. I never considered #7 because I assumed it would always work with a data connection (have no idea why or how it wouldn't). #9 might be video out... but then #8 and #9 would be what I call a "media dock" not just a "desktop" or "charging" dock.

crxssi

May 31, 2010
Visit site
Does having the screen on not mess it up in the long run if u use it on a desktop dockj

Most desktop docks do not have a "dock mode", so it doesn't matter- the screen will be off. As for a real dock mode- I never cared for that, anyway, and one reason is that I believe that yes, it will place additional wear on the backlight and could potentially cause LCD issues over very long periods of a static screen (or static areas on the screen). HTC's dock has a button to turn on/off dock mode, so you are not forced to have the screen "on" all the time, anyway (at least that is the way the Evo 3D dock works).

kiwicarlos741

May 16, 2012
Visit site
Most desktop docks do not have a "dock mode", so it doesn't matter- the screen will be off. As for a real dock mode- I never cared for that, anyway, and one reason is that I believe that yes, it will place additional wear on the backlight and could potentially cause LCD issues over very long periods of a static screen (or static areas on the screen). HTC's dock has a button to turn on/off dock mode, so you are not forced to have the screen "on" all the time, anyway (at least that is the way the Evo 3D dock works).

Ahh that awnsers my question, only reason I never got one was cause I thought the screen would stay on the whole time. Guns be in the market to get one maybe sometime soon then knowing that.

Sent from my EVO using Android Central Forums

zmann

Nov 9, 2010
Visit site
I got lucky, I had 2 docks for my evo 3d. A sedio and a mugan. The mugan dock also fits my lte, not just a little but perfectly. The sedio was made with rounded ends to fit shape of the 3D while the mugan was made like a straight, flat ledge. I was so surprised to see that it actually looks like it could have been made for the lte. Perfect fit.

Sent from my EVO 4g lte

Va1ha11a

Troll Headhunter
Jun 4, 2011
Visit site
#9 might be video out... but then #8 and #9 would be what I call a "media dock" not just a "desktop" or "charging" dock.
Well, I bought the media dock (dock with hdmi out as well), and I should get it in a few days, so I will test it and see if sound works.

CountryDevil

Nov 14, 2010
Visit site
I had the Official HTC dock for my 0G EVO and loved it. In fact, I had two. One for home and one for my desk at work. The difference for me now is that with my 0G EVO, it was nekkid with the extended battery. This worked fine but I was always at a risk of damaging it since I am also a nature photographer and I am outdoor a lot hiking and mountain biking as I am out taking pictures. When I upgraded to the EVO LTE I went ahead and got the Otterbox Defender to help protect it.

So my question is, is there a dock that will work with the Otterbox Defender still on my phone? I have been looking around and so far the Seidio dock looks like it "might" work, but I am not to sure about it. I don't want to have to take the case off just to use a dock. If not, then I guess I will just have to make due with just charging via a straight cable.

zmann

Nov 9, 2010
Visit site
They don't make docks that work with cases. I use the thinnest case possible and if I screw with it I can get it to work but at the risk of damaging the port.

Sent from my EVO 4g lte

Va1ha11a

Troll Headhunter
Jun 4, 2011
Visit site
Actually, the dock I bought says it works with a case, because there is a piece (think iPod docking station piece) that can be removed to make more room, however, I haven't received it, so I can't test. Either way, the defender is too big for any dock.

crxssi

May 31, 2010
Visit site
Today the Hyperion dock arrived. I ordered from Amazon: Amazon.com: Hyperion Standard Dock for Sprint HTC EVO LTE 4G - Retail Packaging - Black: Cell Phones & Accessories The box is marked "Temei", whoever that is, with a small "Hyperion" info card inside. It was well packed and damage-free.

As talked about before, it has no dock mode- but I don't care because I never would use that anyway. My primary purposes for a dock are to protect the phone and make charging easier.... and this does both.

In no way is this of the same quality as the HTC brand dock for the Evo 3D. It does not weigh as much, and the phone cannot be effortlessly, "two finger" inserted and removed, like you can with the HTC brand docks. It can be one-hand inserted, and there is an unnecessary "click" type lock on the USB port. With some practice, you CAN remove the Evo one-handed by using some fingers to push on the back of the dock while pulling with the others. It does seem to offer adequate protection and it looks just fine. There is a fairly bright blue LED on the front bottom, which is always lit when power is applied to the dock.

In my first picture you can see the Evo LTE in the Hyperion dock, being fed power by my Anker mobile external battery, being fed power by the HTC wall charger (which keeps the Anker always charged/ready for use if I want to take it with me... which I have never had to do yet!). The bottom and top microphones are not blocked by the case, neither is the rear speaker, so the phone can be used effectively in speakerphone mode while in the dock. The bottom front cutout is low enough that you can interact with all parts of the screen easily when it is docked, also.

For $20, it is a very reasonable buy, and I think probably beats any other currently available Evo LTE dock. I would recommend it, and purchase it again. Will update the thread if there is any change over time.

Attachments

• hyperiondock1.jpg
    hyperiondock1.jpg
    162 KB · Views: 39
  • hyperiondock2.jpg
    hyperiondock2.jpg
    121.7 KB · Views: 39

crxssi

May 31, 2010
Visit site
I have 2 Seidio desk top cradles, work great, with or without case(Seidio case) there is a special on the AC site

My research shows the Seidio design offers much less support for the phone while docked, which is why I threw it out as an option. I have no proof, but I strongly believe the Seidio would pose a much higher risk of damage to the usb port. I do not like or use cases on my phones (I carry them in a protective belt holster), so case support is not an advantage. Before the sale, the Seidio was much more expensive and even now it is still not less expensive (and it is even out of stock). Finally, the Seidio has no other features the Hyperion lacks. So for me, the Hyperion was/is the best choice.

crxssi

May 31, 2010
Visit site
Today the Hyperion dock arrived. [...] I would recommend it, and purchase it again. Will update the thread if there is any change over time.

A few days ago the blue LED light on the bottom of the dock stopped working. This is actually good, because it really serves no purpose except to be annoying. When the phone is docked, the Evo will display a constant green light for full charge or amber for charging. Just thought I would let people know. I am still happy with it, and it is still working fine with daily use for approaching 2 months.