06-12-2012 08:37 AM
31 12
tools
    I am curious to see if anyone has tried either the Otterbox Commuter or Defender case. If so, thoughts? I have TPU right now, and I like it a lot, but I think I might be looking for a little more protection.
    06-05-2012 05:05 PM
    i have the defender. i love it. people complain about the bulkiness of it but i never keep the phone in my pocket. i always just carry it. i still use the holster as extra protection occasionally. i like that it's big, rugged, and industrial looking. but it probably isn't for everyone.
    06-05-2012 05:35 PM
    Thanks for the response. I had the Defender on my 3D. I liked it, but it was definitely bulky. I am a pocket guy. What I liked about it though was the grip that it provided. The Commuter was good, but it was kind of slippery. Does anyone know if the Commuter for the LTE is any more grippy? Another great case that I used before I got the Defender was the Case-Mate Tough Case. Anyone get that for the LTE?
    06-05-2012 05:45 PM
    the HTC 3G LTE is the first phone that i have splurged & got the otterbox defender case. Like ericj12 indicated, I am not turned off by the bulkiness and want the extra protection with the rising cost of insurance (both deductible & monthly premium). On previous phones I used to at times run into door jams, have a chair pull the phone off my belt, etc. Not with the Otterbox defender. I have had it & my phone for a little over a week now and I have really liked out it feels not bulky at all (probably because the phone itself is pretty thin). I highly recommend this case.
    06-05-2012 05:47 PM
    Otterbox is the bomb. I don't care how bulky it is as long as it protects my phone. I've had Otterbox for all my phones old and new. From iphone to galaxy. As a matter of fact I don't get new phones unless Otterbox case for it is out.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Android Central Forums
    ericj12 and jaescott like this.
    06-05-2012 05:54 PM
    I have tried the otterbox defender, returned it for the commuter. For me it's better. Its Thinner, the plastic part keeps it easy to slide in and out of the pocket better than the defender and the corners of the silicone are thicker to compensate for drops. The silicone is softer and more flexible. I like this because it feels less straining on the power plug and headphone plug.

The defender was too big for me and uncomfortable in my front pocket. Noticeable weight gain on the phone and not easily pulled out of the pocket.
    06-05-2012 06:55 PM
    I got the Defender and consider it the perfect case after I ripped the crappy transparent plastic overlay off. I'm quite surprised Otterbox made such a great case and ruined it with such a low quality screen protector.

Anyway, I don't consider it bulky at all. In fact, I'm surprised it's as thin as it is when I compare it to other Defender cases. I especially appreciate that it protects the USB and audio ports while leaving an opening for the kickstand!

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk 2
    06-05-2012 08:09 PM
    I just ordered the commuter. Bought the Defender when I traded in my EVO3D. Returned it. It just made such a thin, sexy phone, so much more bulky. But it definitely doesnt feel "bad" in the hand.

Anyone in here have any experience with the Commuter? I'm under the impression its thinner than the Defender
    06-05-2012 08:18 PM
    I got the commuter and it is great!
    06-05-2012 09:21 PM
    I picked up the Defender tonight. I checked out both the defender and commuter and I like the grip of the defender much better. Just like on the evo, the commuter case was too slippery for me. I like the look of both cases, but the Defender won me over. I am not sure if i am wording this correctly, but this Defender adds the least amount of bulk than any of the other Defenders on previous models.
    hyabusha likes this.
    06-05-2012 09:55 PM
    I'm still waiting for mine, ordered from HTCpedia and it's on back order. Going to try the local Sprint store tomorrow.
    06-05-2012 10:01 PM
    Sprint has a deal where if you buy any 2 accessories you get 20% off of both. I am sure you can find things cheaper elsewhere, but I didn't feel like waiting.
    06-05-2012 10:02 PM
    I got the defender yesterday, it is bulky,but that's due to the phone feeling so thin without it, but it feels very safe, I used the belt clip for a dash mount!!, its sweet! I have a plumbing van, and screwed a strap to the dash and drilled out a hole where the charger port is, works great, plus the belt clip allows for you to just twist if you want it in landscape or vertical, so if your thinking about a defender, just remember you get a case for your phone and a dash mount!!

Sent from my LTEVO using Android Central Forums
    06-05-2012 10:33 PM
    I've had the defender case for a week and I love how well it fits the Evo4GLTE. It feels great in my hands and seems sturdy enough to keep it from a heavy user like myself.

sent from my Evo4LTE
    06-06-2012 12:33 AM
    I got hooked on the defender series with my iPad.

I've got the defender on mine and even though it adds to the footprint, I'm happy with it.

I need the protection - my stuff rides on a M/C everyday.....
    06-06-2012 05:09 PM
    One detail I forgot to mention about the case though is that it makes it somewhat tricky to pull down the notification area. I hope I'll get used to that eventually...

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk 2
    06-06-2012 07:02 PM
    I still haven't been able to find a black Commuter case at any B&M store. Only online.
    06-06-2012 09:07 PM
    I love the Defender case......hate the screen protector. Still don't understand how mines got marked up so easily already, but I am thinking about calling Otterbox customer service to see if I can get a replacement screen protector.

The bulkiness/weight was a problem for me for the first couple of hours, but now I'm used to it, and contrary to what others may say, it does not feel like a brick in MY pocket.
    06-06-2012 09:24 PM
    Thanks for the response. I had the Defender on my 3D. I liked it, but it was definitely bulky. I am a pocket guy. What I liked about it though was the grip that it provided. The Commuter was good, but it was kind of slippery. Does anyone know if the Commuter for the LTE is any more grippy? Another great case that I used before I got the Defender was the Case-Mate Tough Case. Anyone get that for the LTE?
    The Defender for the Lte is much thinner than the one for the 3d
    Mom2Ninjas likes this.
    06-06-2012 09:38 PM
    I love my defender and I'm a pocket girl. The defender doesn't bother me.
    06-06-2012 11:35 PM
    Do you guys find it difficult to remove the phone from the holster with the Defender case? It seems as though it gets caught in the upper corners. I didn't have this problem with my EVO 3D Defender case.
    06-08-2012 11:00 AM
    I got the defender yesterday, it is bulky,but that's due to the phone feeling so thin without it, but it feels very safe, I used the belt clip for a dash mount!!, its sweet! I have a plumbing van, and screwed a strap to the dash and drilled out a hole where the charger port is, works great, plus the belt clip allows for you to just twist if you want it in landscape or vertical, so if your thinking about a defender, just remember you get a case for your phone and a dash mount!!

Sent from my LTEVO using Android Central Forums
    sounds cool but since you can swivel the belt clip 360 degrees and put the phone into the holster on either side, im curious as to why you drilled out a hole. i would think even if you had the clip part on the bottom it is still secure enough that it wont fall out. not being a jerk. serious question...
    06-08-2012 11:14 AM
    Have my Defender case a week now. I was using the Body Glove case that Sprint sent me for the Apple vs HTC fiasco and delay. The Body Glove was slim, but a lot of dust and dirt was getting in behind the phone, and it was a bear to get the phone out.

The Defender is perfect for me, a male who carries the phone in my front pants pocket. No problems getting notifications from the top of the screen. No probs with the proximity sensor. No problem with the kickstand or with the touchscreen and gestures. I haven't used the holster. Wife says it looks too geeky. Coming from a Palm Pre that I covered with a Zagg invisible shield, the EVOLTE in the Otterbox Defender weighs about the same as the Pre without a case, despite the much larger screen and overall size of the EVOLTE.

I am thinking of getting a SlipGrip car vent holder to use with the Otterbox in place.
    Using Otterbox Defender Case
    The have mounts for the Commuter and the Defender. I am not affiliated with them. Just like the idea of leaving the phone in the case in a car mount. I may try the bike mount, too, but I am leery of the phone being launched out the mount when I hit a bump in the road.
    06-08-2012 01:23 PM
    Commuter case for sure. Got it online for $25 bucks. Only mod was to cut off the rubber flaps that cover the headphone jack and the charging / USB jack. It was a PITA to have to keep moving the flaps up each time I jumped in the car and wanted to listen to tunein via the aux jack.
    06-09-2012 06:37 AM
    What is the difference between the commuter and defender? Is one just thicker? (I couldn't get a good idea from the otterbox website unfortunately) I also carry my phone in my front jeans pocket usually so I'm concerned about bulk/thickness.
    06-09-2012 12:57 PM
31 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD