Network Data Connection Weirdness

mggm100

Jul 3, 2010
Visit site
For the last 2 days I've been noticing strange things on my phone. I've had this phone since the 27th, and it had been working perfectly.

Yesterday it would not connect at all to the network through 3G. Customer Support told me that there was an issue in the tower near me, and that was probably the reason for my connection issue. There was no problem with phone service or connecting to the network with WiFi.

The issue didn't clear up today, so I just called them again for an update. The tower issue had been resolved, but I still wasn't connecting. So they reset the phone and reactivated it today. After they did that I was connected again to the 3G data network.

But then I noticed that it was set to CDMA/LTE and changed it back to CDMA Only. And then the network disconnected again. Switching it back to CDMA/LTE made the connection come alive.

I am in San Antonio where LTE will be launched shortly, so I'm wondering if ongoing LTE preparation work on that tower is causing this odd behavior.

EVO28312

Jun 5, 2010
Visit site
That is a BS answer they gave you cause I'm having the same issue here california bay area. I lose connection but typically get it right back. I wonder if its a software problem with these phones and is in need of an update. Oh and yes I updated the phone numerous time.

mggm100

Jul 3, 2010
Visit site
I wonder if its a software problem with these phones and is in need of an update. Oh and yes I updated the phone numerous time.

Ha! That wouldn't surprise me one bit. I think there is a lot of information that doesn't get passed on to the Customer Care people.

The fact that there is currently no problem with CDMA/LTE but there is a problem with CDMA Only does seem like some kind of a software glitch.

Mastertech

Aug 4, 2010
Visit site
I am just curious... I have this phone as well and mine is set to CDMA/LTE.... what difference does it make if you have set to CDMA/LTE rather than CDMA?

Why would I want to set it to just CDMA?

RG129

May 16, 2010
Visit site
I've had the same data issues since June 2nd/3rd here in San Francisco. I've called Sprint almost daily and they keep confirming that there were tower outages/updates and that technicians were working on it. The thing that irritates me is that their estimated time for repair completion keeps changing (now they're quoting June 7th and 9th for the 2 towers that are down in my neighborhood).

I'm fairly certain that it is network related and not phone/software. When this issue started over the weekend, I walked about 10 minutes to another neighborhood and my data was back and was working fast. Back at home, it kept disconnecting or was so slow it was unusable.

I have a sneaking suspicion that these network outages have something to do with the LTE rollout and Sprint just does not want to discuss this. Tower updates are made months before the cell sites are ready for testing and testing lasts for a few months after that. San Francisco could be preparing for their LTE rollout during late 2012 (I'm hoping....)

Starfleet Captain

Aug 3, 2010
Visit site
I'm on the North side of Chicago and my story is the same as the OP's. Switched from LTE / CDMA to CDMA only. That seemed to have helped but I don't know if it's just coincidence. It still loses data, but not as often as the past couple of days. I'm hoping it's the network upgrades.

Sent from my EVO 4G LTE using Android Central Forums

pkp1217

Aug 28, 2010
Visit site
I started noticing issues this morning. I live in Atlanta, GA, and when I got to work this morning, it was taking forever to load the local newspaper's web site. Then after I went back to the home screen, I noticed that the weather on the front said 55 degrees and that I was in "Henryville." The closest Henryville that I found that was even close to that temperature was up in Tennessee. Tried refreshing the app, but still no Atlanta.

Then I went to Speedtest app, and it was pulling the closest server as Cincinnatti, OH or somewhere in Alabama (and 20-32 kbps download).

I had GPS on and CDMA-only. I've tried turning off GPS and tried turning to CDMA/LTE, but no difference.

On top of all this, Sense has started to randomly reboot---I've only had the phone since Saturday.

Brandito

Sep 17, 2010
Visit site
I'm also getting horrid speeds randomly. I'm hoping it's just impending network vision upgrades, but it's been going on for over a week now.

k000

May 12, 2012
Visit site
Do you have GPS on or is it pulling location from Wireless networks?

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk 2

mikeT2

Jun 7, 2012
Visit site
I also live in SF. (Haight Ashbury/Cole Valley) and noticed that my coverage either completely shuts down or is in roam mode more often. I recently go rid of my Sprint 4G wifi hotspot, which never held a connection, and got a VZ LTE hotspot- Much better. I hope these issues are related to a new LTE rollout. I was going to get the new EVO LTE but didn't realize it was only 3G. I've had the original EVO for over 2 years. It's by far the best phone I've had . I also used to get a great signal in the Embarcadero and Montgomery MUNI stations now as of about 5-6 months ago, I get hardly any signal or coverage. Any other similar issues for SF folks?

RG129

May 16, 2010
Visit site
I also live in SF. (Haight Ashbury/Cole Valley) and noticed that my coverage either completely shuts down or is in roam mode more often. I recently go rid of my Sprint 4G wifi hotspot, which never held a connection, and got a VZ LTE hotspot- Much better. I hope these issues are related to a new LTE rollout. I was going to get the new EVO LTE but didn't realize it was only 3G. I've had the original EVO for over 2 years. It's by far the best phone I've had . I also used to get a great signal in the Embarcadero and Montgomery MUNI stations now as of about 5-6 months ago, I get hardly any signal or coverage. Any other similar issues for SF folks?

Hey, Neighbor! I'm in Cole Valley as well! Sprint confirmed two towers in 94117 that have been down for about a week, but my data at home has been okay for a few days. It pretty much affected all of the Haight from Masonic to Stanyan. I also experienced a tower outage around Duboce Park. Walking to the Inner Sunset would make everything okay, so I'm assuming they're doing LTE upgrades on each tower.

I also now have signal issues at the Montgomery MUNI station which I never had before with my OG or 3D EVO. I'll evaluate and see how the LTE continues to work there in the coming days.

Sent from my EVO using Android Central Forums

olsonn

May 11, 2010
Visit site
I had the same issue today in Washington, DC. The 3G connection kept dropping out and didn't reconnect. It REALLY burned through the battery.

Very annoying. Sprint, get on this.

forsythster

Jun 11, 2012
Visit site
I live here in Houston and since day one of getting my Evo lte the mobile network will frequently disconnect, even tho its switched "on". Its super irritating because every time I try to use an app or get online I have to go into settings and wait for it to reconnect. If everyone from across the country is having similar issues maybe its a software problem, not a tower failure.

OGEVO4G_LTE

Jun 11, 2012
Visit site
I live here in Houston and since day one of getting my Evo lte the mobile network will frequently disconnect, even tho its switched "on". Its super irritating because every time I try to use an app or get online I have to go into settings and wait for it to reconnect. If everyone from across the country is having similar issues maybe its a software problem, not a tower failure.

I'm here also in Houston and have been having the same issue with connectivity. I'm currently on LTE/cdma and had sporadic connectivity. Also since LTE is apparently turned on here in Houston. Is there some sort of icon that indicates that your on LTE?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kthompson9705kt