4th Generation (2013) HTC EVO

corvette72778

Jun 21, 2011
Visit site
What an amazing phone HTC created this year with the EVO LTE! We got much much better battery life, a much better camera, the kickstand is back, beats audio, a bigger higher resolution screen, and NFC/Google Wallet.

This phone kicks iphone butt and no other phone comes close.

The question is, what else could HTC possibly add to the 4th gen 2013 EVO? This is pretty hard to think of. I honestly think 4.7" is the perfect screen size, don't need anymore processing power. Maybe more memory/cache on the cpu but thats not even worth mentioning. I guess a an even higher res camera but the difference can't be that noticeable on a mobile phone. Can't think of any major items to add.

List the features on your 2013 EVO wish list.

Starfleet Captain

Aug 3, 2010
Visit site
I would like to see LTE + quadcore (or hexacore if available), a 3000 mah battery, a full 1080p HD screen, better camera, 4 gigs of Ram, and Android Jelly Bean, all while keeping the same format factor.

Also, I'd like to see water proof (or water resistance) and maybe some new sensor.

Sent from my EVO using Android Central Forums

pezdukie

Apr 22, 2010
Visit site
I honestly think my perfect phone would have a screen the same size but with a smaller overall phone size. The bezel can still be further eliminated. Hopefully the next Evo is just generally smaller and hopefully battery technology has progressed very well.

EVO28312

Jun 5, 2010
Visit site
Hmm.. I think next year we can see an upgrade on glass tech as in cornings new flexi glass that maybe will introduce edge to edge hd hi res screen. The obvious quad core band with 2gigs of ram that can handle a nice bloaty sense UI. I'm sure I can go on but everyone else has said enough

dmmarck

Retired Moderator
Dec 28, 2011
Visit site
Hmm.. I think next year we can see an upgrade on glass tech as in cornings new flexi glass that maybe will introduce edge to edge hd hi res screen. The obvious quad core band with 2gigs of ram that can handle a nice bloaty sense UI. I'm sure I can go on but everyone else has said enough

We're going to need battery tech to catch up if we're going to have 2gig ram quad core LTE devices.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Android Central Forums

EVO28312

Jun 5, 2010
Visit site
We're going to need battery tech to catch up if we're going to have 2gig ram quad core LTE devices.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Android Central Forums
Yeah most definitely. But there has been some good progress this year ex: razor max and our current EVO. Also remember more cores can actually help battery life not necessarily kill it. I hope and think from this year on battery life will be more than tolerable. I use the hek out of my EVO and it lasts a million times longer than my e3d. But yes battery life def has to step there game up.

corvette72778

Jun 21, 2011
Visit site
to the above comments,
you want quad core but whats wrong with S4 snapdragon? What benefit will you get? I don't see a lot of benefit.
3000mah battery? My EVO LTE battery is at 55% and the day is only halfway over. a 5000mah on the old evos wouldn't be enough but this years ICS/Sense have fixed the problem. Batterly life problems was software related.
why would I want flexiglass? Its an interesting concept but whats the benefit?

1080p display would be nice but I don't see it as that big of a deal to upgrade.

the 2012 EVO was a huge difference over prior EVOs. No big ideas on this page. Just marginal.

dmmarck

Retired Moderator
Dec 28, 2011
Visit site
to the above comments,
you want quad core but whats wrong with S4 snapdragon? What benefit will you get? I don't see a lot of benefit.
3000mah battery? My EVO LTE battery is at 55% and the day is only halfway over. a 5000mah on the old evos wouldn't be enough but this years ICS/Sense have fixed the problem. Batterly life problems was software related.

1080p display would be nice but I don't see it as that big of a deal to upgrade.

the 2012 EVO was a huge difference over prior EVOs. No big ideas on this page. Just marginal.

Well that's the S4 doing, but there can be no mistake that the evolution in battery technology is not nearly as drastic as the evolution in every other area. That's not a marginal idea by any stretch of the means; we should be seeing all day battery life running at full tilt, and you have to massage some things to even get close to that.

corvette72778

Jun 21, 2011
Visit site
I think the next enhancements that will make this phone worth upgrading will be with software related like what Sammy added with a Siri competitor. "smart stay" is a cool feature as well.

dmmarck

Retired Moderator
Dec 28, 2011
Visit site
I think the next enhancements that will make this phone worth upgrading will be with software related like what Sammy added with a Siri competitor. "smart stay" is a cool feature as well.

Have you tried S Voice? It's a useless gimmick. Neither it nor Siri are anywhere near a useful feature. Of course, I'm sure it'll get there, they have Vlingo behind it and they're amazing. But right now, S Voice is just...meh.

EVO28312

Jun 5, 2010
Visit site
to the above comments,

Never said theres anything wrong with the s4!? In fact the current s4 beats out quad cores in most test. BUT its a fact that were moving towards quad core processors and the only reason why our evos aren't quad is because of LTE. Do we need quad cores ehh probably not since most apps don't take advantage of it Yet. As for cornings new willow glass technology that support thinner backplates and color filters for OLED and LED that is the future whether we you think we need it or want it. Sorry but we need more power specially for a skin like sense because as we all know its not as smooth as vanilla or touchwiz which I hate by the way and that's because its still heavy including 4.0. Like someone else pointed out battery life is still behind the game. Yes its better but we should have all day usage without worrying for a plug.

dmmarck

Retired Moderator
Dec 28, 2011
Visit site
Never said theres anything wrong with the s4!? In fact the current s4 beats out quad cores in most test. BUT its a fact that were moving towards quad core processors and the only reason why our evos aren't quad is because of LTE. Do we need quad cores ehh probably not since most apps don't take advantage of it Yet. As for cornings new willow glass technology that support thinner backplates and color filters for OLED and LED that is the future whether we you think we need it or want it. Sorry but we need more power specially for a skin like sense because as we all know its not as smooth as vanilla or touchwiz which I hate by the way and that's because its still heavy including 4.0. Like someone else pointed out battery life is still behind the game. Yes its better but we should have all day usage without worrying for a plug.

Exactly. You don't have quad core for a reason--the battery would literally be dead in an hour with quad core and a separate LTE processor running at full tilt. Without battery technology advancing rapidly, manufacturers are just going to cram bigger and bigger batteries in there. While it worked for the MAXX (which doesn't have a great processor, but it's also powering a fairly unsubstantial screen), it may not work for every device as the quad core wars really heat up.

EVO28312

Jun 5, 2010
Visit site
Exactly. You don't have quad core for a reason--the battery would literally be dead in an hour with quad core and a separate LTE processor running at full tilt. Without battery technology advancing rapidly, manufacturers are just going to cram bigger and bigger batteries in there. While it worked for the MAXX (which doesn't have a great processor, but it's also powering a fairly unsubstantial screen), it may not work for every device as the quad core wars really heat up.

Damn your hard headed. We don't have it currently in the us for the same reason I stated before. Quad cores will have LTE built in by the end of this year and will def be in our phones next year. What don't you understand? Quad core also helps battery life as well its not all raw power sucking your battery juice.

dmmarck

Retired Moderator
Dec 28, 2011
Visit site
Damn your hard headed. We don't have it currently in the us for the same reason I stated before. Quad cores will have LTE built in by the end of this year and will def be in our phones next year. What don't you understand? Quad core also helps battery life as well its not all raw power sucking your battery juice.

...that was rather unnecessary, and I'm not sure if you misunderstood my post or what. Regardless, I apologize.

You don't have quad cores b/c of LTE, correct. I'm not denying any of this. But they have to integrate LTE into the quad core chips first, or else they're going to have separate LTE processors along with the quad core chip. The separate LTE processor is what kills the battery. I'm assuming this will happen sooner than later, but that's one of the reasons right now--it's not integrated like the present S4 devices are.

I agreed with your post, hence I said exactly and liked it. I agree with everything you said and said nothing to contradict it. I especially liked it for the last sentences you said, because I was the one who said it. I wasn't arguing with you at all, merely adding that the technology for quad-core + LTE is not there yet, and part of that is the LTE processor being separate in current technologies, aside from the S4 devices.

nightmare

Jun 9, 2010
Visit site
I think a similarly sized device with a quad core, integrated LTE chip and 2-4gb of RAM would be reasonable, along with a massive battery (like Droid Maxx big), and 800mHz LTE, to keep them on the innovative side. I'd also like to see some more innovations in Sense next time. I'm happy they cleaned up a lot of crap in 4.0, but Samsung has some clever features that would be nice to see.

EVO28312

Jun 5, 2010
Visit site
...that was rather unnecessary, and I'm not sure if you misunderstood my post or what. Regardless, I apologize.

You don't have quad cores b/c of LTE, correct. I'm not denying any of this. But they have to integrate LTE into the quad core chips first, or else they're going to have separate LTE processors along with the quad core chip. The separate LTE processor is what kills the battery. I'm assuming this will happen sooner than later, but that's one of the reasons right now--it's not integrated like the present S4 devices are.

I agreed with your post, hence I said exactly and liked it. I agree with everything you said and said nothing to contradict it. I especially liked it for the last sentences you said, because I was the one who said it. I wasn't arguing with you at all, merely adding that the technology for quad-core + LTE is not there yet, and part of that is the LTE processor being separate in current technologies, aside from the S4 devices.

Agree just wasn't sure if you understood my post.

Reactions: dmmarck

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Conrad Edmund