WiFi disconnects in sleep

crxssi

Linux: The power beneath
May 31, 2010
Visit site
This is a feature of the phone. Go to Settings->Wifi->Menu->Advanced.

There is an option "Keep Wi-Fi on during sleep" that can be set to:
1) Always
2) Only when plugged in (Default i think)
3) Never

Please read the first post in this thread:

"* The default setting of "Keep W-iFi on during sleep" is active (set to "always") and I have never changed it."

Last edited:

crxssi

May 31, 2010
Visit site
HTC called me today at work and I talked with a tech for a while. It was mostly the same politically-correct corporate-mandated dogma (this is the design, there is nothing wrong, etc). But, he did admit that something was not right. And he even said that he thinks development might have snuck an override in that eventually turns off the WiFi to either save battery or address another long-standing issue in Android with idle phones connected to access points.

I told him that if the setting says "Always" then that is what the phone should do, and HTC should either fix the issue, or at least reword the choices so "Always" is not an option. If "Always" really only means "1 hour" or "2 hours", then the phone is lying to the user. He agreed and said he would pass it on to development. I also reminded him that I have had zero problems with my other model HTC phones or my Xoom tablet with long periods of being connected to WiFi during sleep, and how having it drop WiFi can and will interfere with certain types of uses (like using Airdroid, for example).

It was nice that they followed up with their promise to call me. I hope they better understand why I am upset. Will something be done about it? Probably not. But at least I tried. You should too....

klau25

Dec 15, 2009
Visit site
i noticed couple issues w/ wifi also. my wifi signal in the notificatino would show normal when i wake up, but w/ no internet connection. i usually have to turn it off and on. i first noticed this because i normally will get couple email overnight from amazon local, and kindle deals. lately, they emails don't come till i reset wifi.

another issue i noticed is the phone doesn't switch over from wifi to 3g when i am away from my house. wifi would show no signal, but the phone would not switch over to 3g unless i turn off wifi manually. it's not a big deal since i turn wifi off anyways when i am away from home to save battery. it's just annoying sometimes if i forget to and not recieve data at all.

crxssi

May 31, 2010
Visit site
i noticed couple issues w/ wifi also. my wifi signal in the notificatino would show normal when i wake up, but w/ no internet connection. i usually have to turn it off and on. i first noticed this because i normally will get couple email overnight from amazon local, and kindle deals. lately, they emails don't come till i reset wifi.

another issue i noticed is the phone doesn't switch over from wifi to 3g when i am away from my house. wifi would show no signal, but the phone would not switch over to 3g unless i turn off wifi manually. it's not a big deal since i turn wifi off anyways when i am away from home to save battery. it's just annoying sometimes if i forget to and not recieve data at all.

Those are, indeed, strange. I have not encountered either problem. I suggest you try turning off "Fast boot" and reboot.

kbp08tls

Apr 28, 2012
Visit site
I thought I saw a fix for wifi sleeping over on XDA the other day. I'll go look for it and post it up when I find it. brb

EDIT: Here's the thread I was referring to: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1707651
Requires root, and read the whole thing before flashing. It's kinda confusing.

Anyone want to be a guinea pig and try this out?

Sent from my EVO using Android Central Forums

Last edited:
Reactions: crxssi

crxssi

May 31, 2010
Visit site

rfs830

Apr 26, 2010
Visit site
i know on my photon it would do that. I had to change the battery setting to not use power save mode so that the wifi would stay connected.

crxssi

May 31, 2010
Visit site
i know on my photon it would do that. I had to change the battery setting to not use power save mode so that the wifi would stay connected.

That is quite possible- a friend at work with a Motorola said the same thing. There is no such option (that I can find) on the HTC phones. But none of the other HTC phones have ever acted like this (well, at least not the other two I have had).

crxssi

May 31, 2010
Visit site
Did you go into settings you can change wifi not sleep on charge

I am not aware of any such option. There is an option under Display called "Stay awake: screen will never sleep while charging." But that is not the problem reported in this thread, we are talking about WiFi disconnecting during sleep, not during awake. I have no problems with WiFi staying connected when the phone is awake (screen on) or even for short ( minutes to perhaps up to an hour) sleep periods.

Last edited:

crxssi

May 31, 2010
Visit site
I got my EVO LTE yesterday and I have not have my WiFi disconnect at all

Not sure I believe you... You are saying that you left the phone asleep for hours, and when you turned it on and immediately looked at the top of the screen, you showed a WiFi icon that was on, solid?

sandman132

May 28, 2012
Visit site
Go to settings, wifi, menu, advanced settings. Here is your wifi settings for when device is asleep.

crxssi

May 31, 2010
Visit site
Go to settings, wifi, menu, advanced settings. Here is your wifi settings for when device is asleep.

Please go back and reread the first posting. Especially the part that says:

* The default setting of "Keep W-iFi on during sleep" is active (set to "always") and I have never changed it.
* All WiFi settings are set to stock/defaults.

Mikey47

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
Please go back and reread the first posting. Especially the part that says:

* The default setting of "Keep W-iFi on during sleep" is active (set to "always") and I have never changed it.
* All WiFi settings are set to stock/defaults.

Yep, I see the same behavior. Somehow either that setting is not setting what it is supposed to be or it is being ignored. Either way it is a bug.

sandman132

May 28, 2012
Visit site
Try factory reset your device maybe and see if it fixes it. I've never had any issues with mine.

Uncle Louie

Jun 14, 2010
Visit site
I got my EVO LTE yesterday and I have not have my WiFi discenect at all

It reconnects so quickly that you might not be able to see it.

How I found out that mine was doing it was at work; every two hours or when you disconnect from my employers wifi, you need to sign in to reconnect. Every time I woke up my EVO, I was having to sign in again.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dawsonnathalie