WiFi disconnects in sleep

usguyver

Jul 7, 2010
Visit site
It reconnects so quickly that you might not be able to see it.

How I found out that mine was doing it was at work; every two hours or when you disconnect from my employers wifi, you need to sign in to reconnect. Every time I woke up my EVO, I was having to sign in again.

That could be the security setting of the WiFi I do not have to reconet to my WiFi that is how I know it is not disconnecting

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk 2

gmtom1

May 16, 2010
Visit site
I was having all the same problems reported in the earlier threads with the Wifi disconnecting when the phone would sleep, but I think I found a solution that works for me, which was to change the wifi band/frequency selection under the Advanced Wifi menu from "Auto" to 2.4 Ghz only. Now my phone never disconnects during sleep, based on downloading podcasts & Play store updates (which would be interrupted before once I put the phone down)

I currently have a dual-band router at home (airport extreme) with both bands (2.4 & 5 Ghz) running, and my office uses an older single-band G router on 2.4 Ghz. I noticed that the disconnecting would only occur at home, and not at my office, so my guess was that the phone was disconnecting somehow when it switched between frequencies at home.
A software bug is somehow preventing it from re-establishing the connection properly if it switches frequencies until the phone "wakes" again.

Not sure if this is the real solution, or just unique to me & my setup, but for those of you with dual-band routers, give it a try. Just pick one of the frequencies after considering all the locations you use wifi, since you will not be able to connect if you pick 5 Ghz and you go someplace that only has an older 2.4 Ghz router.

I still think this is a bug though, since the phone should be able to automatically switch between frequencies and re-establish connections even during sleep.

Uncle Louie

Jun 14, 2010
Visit site
That could be the security setting of the WiFi I do not have to reconet to my WiFi that is how I know it is not disconnecting

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk 2

No, as every other phone that I have used at work (as well as fellow employees) does not have this problem. I have used an OG EVO, Epic 4g, Epic Touch. A coworker had a Thunderbolt, and recently upgraded to a Razr Maxx, and doesn't have this issue.

It does it to me at home too, I just wasn't looking for the signs of it until the issues at work. I don't really do a lot of heavy downloading with my phone; but I know that my battery life, while not horrible, would be quite a bit better if wifi wouldn't disconnect why sleeping since my cell signal isn't that great at home.

crxssi

Linux: The power beneath
May 31, 2010
Visit site
Yea it was still solild and I think some of you may have a bad WiFi radio

I doubt my radio is bad. When it is on, it works great. Besides, there would be many people with bad radios if this were the case, because lots of people have confirmed this behavior now.

? I use security at home (WEP128) and no security at work. It behaves exactly the same on both- it will disconnect after long sleep periods and reconnect in a few to several seconds on either when woken up.

crxssi

May 31, 2010
Visit site
I was having all the same problems reported in the earlier threads with the Wifi disconnecting when the phone would sleep, but I think I found a solution that works for me, which was to change the wifi band/frequency selection under the Advanced Wifi menu from "Auto" to 2.4 Ghz only. Now my phone never disconnects during sleep, based on downloading podcasts & Play store updates (which would be interrupted before once I put the phone down)

I currently have a dual-band router at home (airport extreme) with both bands (2.4 & 5 Ghz) running, and my office uses an older single-band G router on 2.4 Ghz.

I don't think this is it either. I have a single band router and work and at home.

crxssi

May 31, 2010
Visit site

Wow I think you might have just hit something interesting!

* How the hell did you find this?
* If this is so well known that there is even an app for it, why did the HTC support staff and "engineering" not say anything?
* What is so "Smart" about "Smartsync?"
* What troubles me the most is that the description does NOT match what the phone does. Mine does not disconnect just between 00:00 and 07:00am.

I will try it and see what happens. Here is an xda link: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1708492

Last edited:

crxssi

May 31, 2010
Visit site
Wifi sleeps because by default it turns off under power saver. Read this post:
http://forums.androidcentral.com/ht...-feature-evo-lte-power-saver.html#post1859358

WOW! This is another great find! I wish your posting came before the app before it, since I already applied the other one and this seems to have far more promise. I used "QuickShortcut" and searched for "Power" and sure enough- there it was.... "Settings Power saver settings".

I have attached a screenshot.

crxssi

May 31, 2010
Visit site
The behavior on my phone has definitely changed. Unfortunately, some of my tests were ruined (a long story), so now I can't tell whether it was the hidden "Power save" settings, or the SmartSync Disabler or some combination of the two. Further complicating things is that the behavior of the connection is inconsistent.

When I check the phone in the morning, the connection is always on now. And if I stay at home and check it a few hours later, it still seems to always be connected. But when I get to work, wait 30 min or something before touching it, SOMETIMES it is connected to WiFi at work, sometimes it is not. So sometimes, in the background, it will notice an access point change, other times it will not. Still a huge improvement over stock behavior- where it seems to be off almost all the time.

Mikey47

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
The behavior on my phone has definitely changed. Unfortunately, some of my tests were ruined (a long story), so now I can't tell whether it was the hidden "Power save" settings, or the SmartSync Disabler or some combination of the two. Further complicating things is that the behavior of the connection is inconsistent.

When I check the phone in the morning, the connection is always on now. And if I stay at home and check it a few hours later, it still seems to always be connected. But when I get to work, wait 30 min or something before touching it, SOMETIMES it is connected to WiFi at work, sometimes it is not. So sometimes, in the background, it will notice an access point change, other times it will not. Still a huge improvement over stock behavior- where it seems to be off almost all the time.

Ok, I'm really confused. The other thread said those power savings settings only kick in I'd your battery was below 20%. Are you now saying they apply all the time?

crxssi

May 31, 2010
Visit site
Ok, I'm really confused. The other thread said those power savings settings only kick in I'd your battery was below 20%. Are you now saying they apply all the time?

Actually, no, I am not saying that. I am saying I don't know what is happening. I ended up doing two things at once, the hidden "Power save" settings and the SmartSync Disabler. It wasn't my initial intent, and ruined clean testing.

I would suggest trying one, compare to the stock behavior, then much later, the other, and compare/contrast to the other and to stock behavior. Now I am waiting to try and figure out the current behavior before turning one or the other off :)

* If you believe the power saver 20% thing, then it will have no effect during normal use on WiFi disconnects.
* If you believe the SmartSync only happens from 00:00 to 07:00, then it will have no effect during the daytime WiFi disconnects.

I can say that there is a difference on my phone which neither of the above statements can account for.

crxssi

May 31, 2010
Visit site
Here's some news,
HTC acknowledges Wi-Fi issues on One X, issue resoled in current production Models - HTC acknowledges Wi-Fi issues on One X, issue resolved in current production Models | AndroidSPIN -- AndroidSPIN (@AndroidSPIN)l

They only acknowledge the problem on the International version, which uses a totally different CPU/GPU/chipset from the USA One X and the Evo LTE. It is totally irrelevant news to us.

ANYWAY... was out eating, used my phone on 3G. When I got home, I put the unused-for-an-hour phone on the desk and washed my hands. Picked up the phone and turned the screen on. WiFi was already on, active, and connected to my home router. This is the correct behavior I have always had with all my other Android devices, and it is the first time I have ever seen the Evo LTE do it.

Last edited:
Reactions: bc2k

skrappyxn

Jul 5, 2010
Visit site
My wifi connects and disconnects even while in use. Just reading these posts, my wifi has gone to 3g and back 10+ times. It does it while on facebook, internet, or just sitting around.The most wifi time I get is a few minutes. I have a dual band router and tried using only 2.4 and 5 but no luck. Any suggestions?

nathy321

Apr 22, 2010
Visit site
My wifi connects and disconnects even while in use. Just reading these posts, my wifi has gone to 3g and back 10+ times. It does it while on facebook, internet, or just sitting around.The most wifi time I get is a few minutes. I have a dual band router and tried using only 2.4 and 5 but no luck. Any suggestions?

Same thing is happening to me, it is very annoying

digmys

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
Same thing is happening to me, it is very annoying

I had this issue until last night. The weird thing was, wifi was SOLID at work, but exactly like both of you are describing at home. So I thought it may be a setting on the home router that the EVO didn't like (even though it should).

So I switched to G only, still got dropouts.
Switched authentication methods, still got dropouts.

Turned on "Bluetooth Coexistence" to "Preemptive" and BAM, the connection stayed for the rest of the night and for the first time, my 4AM Titanium Backup to Dropbox completed successfully!

It's only a few hours of testing, but I have never gotten that steady of a connection at home with this phone.

I have TomatoUSB firmware on my router FYI.