WiFi disconnects in sleep

crxssi

Linux: The power beneath
May 31, 2010
Visit site
I had this issue until last night. The weird thing was, wifi was SOLID at work, but exactly like both of you are describing at home. So I thought it may be a setting on the home router that the EVO didn't like (even though it should).

So I switched to G only, still got dropouts. Switched authentication methods, still got dropouts. Turned on "Bluetooth Coexistence" to "Preemptive" and BAM, the connection stayed for the rest of the night and for the first time, my 4AM Titanium Backup to Dropbox completed successfully!

I have TomatoUSB firmware on my router FYI.

It is worth noting that this thread (of mine) is not the right place for information about WiFi dropping while using the phone.... it is about disconnections while sleeping.

That aside...

I am pretty sure those issues with disconnects while USING the phone have everything to do with the access points/routers being used. However, I also use Toastman Tomato 1.28 (WRT54GL) and have my "Bluetooth Coexistence" set to disabled (the default) and don't have a bit of problem with losing connections while using the phone... ever... at home or work (same models).

crxssi

May 31, 2010
Visit site
Just an update- not much has changed since my last report. It is still much better than the stock behavior. It never seems to disconnect from a router now, regardless of how long it sleeps. But sometimes will and sometimes will not connect to new routers when moved to a new location while it is asleep. Very inconsistent there.

justryan

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
I've been experiencing the same thing and have only noticed it at home too. Hopefully, HTC is listening and provides a repair soon. I always have to go into WiFi and turn it off and back on again to make it reconnec.

crxssi

May 31, 2010
Visit site
I've been experiencing the same thing and have only noticed it at home too. I always have to go into WiFi and turn it off and back on again to make it reconnec.

That is not the same thing at all. I never lost connection while I am using the phone, only when it went to sleep. And when it was awakened, it only took a few to several seconds for it to automatically re-establish connection.

I think you want one of these threads:
http://forums.androidcentral.com/htc-evo-4g-lte/182259-wifi-issues.html
http://forums.androidcentral.com/htc-evo-4g-lte/181554-wifi-harware-issue.html
http://forums.androidcentral.com/ht...bluetooth-together-causing-bouncy-signal.html

crxssi

May 31, 2010
Visit site

Impulses

Jun 16, 2010
Visit site
Is it possible you were always testing while under 20% battery or after mid night? :p I haven't noticed a problem with Wifi dropping while idle except at night, due to Smartsync, which I eventually disabled manually after rooting... Maybe I just didn't test enough under stock conditions tho.

I can tell you Smart/dumbsync definitely only kicks in at night, so if the other settings did something else for you then you may be unto something... Most people believe those settings only kick in while low on power or not at all (which would explain why they're now hidden), but maybe it's a mix of things and some are now deep sleep/long idle settings? /shrug

I disabled a few of them since I always found them problematic anyway. On my EVO 3D the power saver setting for data would knock off push or make them eterratic, even after the phone was fully charged... Basically push notifications became useless until after I rebooted.

I nearly did cartwheels the day I discovered that setting was behind my push notification issues with the previous EVO. I discovered it by chance, never would've guessed they were related since actual background data use by apps was unaffected and the status bar 3g indicator gave no clue what was going on. I tested it beyond doubt tho, with it on push was kaput even after the phone was no longer low on power, with it off no issues.

crxssi

May 31, 2010
Visit site
I haven't noticed a problem with Wifi dropping while idle except at night, due to Smartsync, which I eventually disabled manually after rooting... Maybe I just didn't test enough under stock conditions tho.

Well, look up in the postings, above. That can be disabled using an app from Google Play, without rooting. And it seems to work. I am at a complete loss why HTC thinks it is acceptable to disable all data at night when phone is sleeping between arbitrary hours, and then offer no documentation about it and no way to turn that "feature" off. It doesn't even make sense. If the user were asleep, it is likely the phone would be on a charger, so why disable anything? And what if the user is not asleep and depends on notifications for something?

I can tell you Smart/dumbsync definitely only kicks in at night,

Agreed. And I prefer to now think of it as STUPIDsync.

so if the other settings did something else for you then you may be unto something... Most people believe those settings only kick in while low on power or not at all (which would explain why they're now hidden), but maybe it's a mix of things and some are now deep sleep/long idle settings? /shrug

Exactly. I simply cannot tell if those "hidden" settings are doing anything or not. It is so inconsistent and confusing, I just can't tell. They might have been hidden because they are not used anymore, or because they mean something totally different not. But things are still not "right".

Kuro

Aug 18, 2010
Visit site
I hit a data overage on my Xoom cause of this. I was uploading a large movie to my Google Drive over wifi at home, to avoid using data. I went to work and started getting warning messages. By the time I got ahold of my gf and had her turn off my tablet, it had already eaten 1gb.

I just checked the wifi sleep state and by default on the Xoom (official ICS build) wifi is on only while plugged in. I guess it makes sense sorta to save battery. But my bill with VZW doesn't think so. Funny thing I called vzw about it and while they were sorry about the overage (not sorry enough to drop them tho), they didn't know anything about the wifi setting. Their suggestion:

Turn off your tablet when not using it

Sent from my Xoom using Tapatalk 2

NasTraDooMis

Aug 1, 2010
Visit site
OK, there have been other threads about strange WiFi behavior, especially disconnections. But they are all about when USING the phone. I have not experienced that.

BUT.... I have been experiencing pretty consistent disconnecting after the phone has been sleeping (unused) for a while. I pick up the phone after an hour and it is no longer connected to WiFi, it talks to 3G for a moment, then suddenly realizes there is WiFi and reconnects. I didn't want to post anything until I was sure this was not a fluke. This is not good, because it means any background data will be going through 3G instead of WiFi, which is much more battery usage. It also is much slower. It also means you cannot connect to your sleeping device across the network. And, it is also very annoying to have to wait for it to connect again when you want to do something quickly.

* It is not a fluke- it has been doing it day after day.
* It does it at home and at work.
* It does it even if the phone has not moved more than a few feet from the access point.
* I use Linksys WRT54G routers running Tomato Toastman at home and work. WEP at home, no WiFi security at work.
* The default setting of "Keep W-iFi on during sleep" is active (set to "always") and I have never changed it.
* All WiFi settings are set to stock/defaults.
* There doesn't seem to be a magic amount of time in sleep before it does this.
* Never had the problem on my Evo 3D, Evo OG, or Xoom, and using them in the exact same way with same access points.

UPDATE: Many users have confirmed this happens. Has been reported to HTC and they reluctantly confirm it does this but offer no solid explanation as to why.

"UPDATE: Many users have confirmed this happens. Has been reported to HTC and they reluctantly confirm it does this but offer no solid explanation as to why."

I would bet its purposely intended by htc/sprint to perhaps keep us from using /getting free wifi tether so that when phones screen goes out it cuts off that wifi connection. Then again i may be blowing my statement out of proportion cause i have as yet to test wifi tether out on my phone to see if indeed it does cut the signal to laptop after screen off. :p

dmxjago

Jul 3, 2012
Visit site
Here's some news,
HTC acknowledges Wi-Fi issues on One X, issue resoled in current production Models - HTC acknowledges Wi-Fi issues on One X, issue resolved in current production Models | AndroidSPIN -- AndroidSPIN (@AndroidSPIN)

from Evo4GLTE on Android Central

This is BS as i just exchanged my phone via warranty. After finding out that supposedly phones that start with serial#'s HT23 and HT24 have the wifi hardware issue and HT25+ numbers are fixed.. Well i just received my HTC ONE X that starts with HT26 and it's even worse now.. Before i would lose connection and get delays when receiving Google Talk and Gmail notifications, like 2-10 mins delayed now when the phone goes to sleep within 10 seconds i no longer receive any messages literally not even with delays until i wake up the phone!! SO LIES LIES LIES nothing has been fixed not even on newer phones!!

On 4g if i disable wifi i have 0 issues, but come on i have 3GB data on my at&t plan not unlimited... if i had unlimited i would not care....... cuz i can keep wifi off, but that is not the case so at work i have wifi and home i have wif and would like to use my wifi when possible so i could use my data when im on the road etc... THIS IS TOTAL BS!! I'm about to ask AT&T if i can send it back and just get a GALAXY S III instead..... wtf and i really like the HOX.

mohdka

Sep 23, 2012
Visit site
i had faced this problem ( WiFi disconnects in sleep) and very much upset and frustrated as i always miss my calls from viber and many. For me, the prob was that, i had downloaded the battery saving apps and that app was the culprit here. To me, i simply removed that app and now everything work well.....

Just try this way......

ciasaboark

Sep 17, 2011
Visit site
This problem may be related to the API change in the way android handles wifi connections while the screen is off and has affected my galaxy nexus. Applications now have to request a high performance lock on the wifi signal if they want to keep the connection open when the device goes to sleep. This change was likely done to save battery, but it makes the advanced wifi settings confusing and useless. If you have a specific app that you use that needs a wifi connection while the screen is off and the device is asleep then I would suggest emailing the author and asking that they update they apps to use at least API level 12.

See Android 3.1 APIs | Android Developers for more information about the api change, and
https://forums.androidcentral.com/e...etails?id=com.ratcash.wifiperf&token=OwICCI9Q for a possible fix.

dmxjago

Jul 3, 2012
Visit site
It is not API changes, I work for Google as a deployment engineer and nothing has changed. Also I also own a Note 2 and no wifi issues there only on the HTC ONE X. HTC confirmed that was intended to save battery life so there you have it. I think it's a big price to pay delays to save battery, I rather it drain more battery but have my alerts in real time.

crxssi

May 31, 2010
Visit site
It seems this is no longer available? Also did a search on quickshortcutmaker and power saving options does not come up for me.

I noticed that too, but I also have not been having the problem with it dropping/sleeping the network when the phone is idle (after the JB update). So there should be no need for it anymore. For example- I have no touched my Evo since yesterday, at least 10 hours ago. I just pinged it and it did lose the first packet but responded to all the other packets, so it is most certainly still connected to my WiFi router.

Cyrene

Jun 7, 2012
Visit site
I noticed that too, but I also have not been having the problem with it dropping/sleeping the network when the phone is idle (after the JB update). So there should be no need for it anymore. For example- I have no touched my Evo since yesterday, at least 10 hours ago. I just pinged it and it did lose the first packet but responded to all the other packets, so it is most certainly still connected to my WiFi router.

It happens to me all the time, just as you described in your original post.

Sent from my EVO LTE using Tapatalk 2

crxssi

May 31, 2010
Visit site
It happens to me all the time, just as you described in your original post.

Damn. I wonder if somehow I have the setting still active across the JB update and you didn't?

I will say that I don't use their stupid/mysterious "power saver" thing, which is likely to also shut off WiFi. I also have the mysterious "Connections Optimizer" crap turned off. You might want to check both of those settings on your phone.

I updated the first posting with this info.

Cyrene

Jun 7, 2012
Visit site
Damn. I wonder if somehow I have the setting still active across the JB update and you didn't?

I will say that I don't use their stupid/mysterious "power saver" thing, which is likely to also shut off WiFi. I also have the mysterious "Connections Optimizer" crap turned off. You might want to check both of those settings on your phone.

I updated the first posting with this info.

I never have the power saver on. Connection Optimizer is off. Wifi set to always on. Mail is set to manual sync (although it syncs on its own despite this, another issue I've yet to figure out). When my phone is sleeping and I turn the screen on, I see it reconnecting to wifi. Whenever I download updates from the play store, I have to make sure the screen stays on or else it gets interrupted.

Sent from my EVO LTE using Tapatalk 2

kalex4657

May 26, 2012
Visit site
I was having the same problem with wifi disconnecting when screen went dark. After checking basic settings and all battery/power saving apps there was one I had missed. It was an app called Longevity by TrendMicro. Be sure and check all apps that have anything to do with battery, power, &/or wifi settings.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nikoczzzz