7 days and this EVO LTE is going back!

LoWw

Mar 5, 2011
Visit site
I know you mentioned you didn't want to root your phone but trust me this is your best option to get everything you want and then some. I do agree some of this stuff should be working stock but unfortunately it does not so you have to mod it to get it! Rooting is very simple. There is a one click method that does it ALL for you. Rooting opens your phone up to possibilities you wouldn't believe.

Reactions: doomstang

kbp08tls

Apr 28, 2012
Visit site
I know you mentioned you didn't want to root your phone but trust me this is your best option to get everything you want and then some. I do agree some of this stuff should be working stock but unfortunately it does not so you have to mod it to get it! Rooting is very simple. There is a one click method that does it ALL for you. Rooting opens your phone up to possibilities you wouldn't believe.

This. It's ironic that I was running a newer version of Android (4.0.4 via CM9) on my lowly Optimus S than what came out with the E4GLTE. I have some of the same frustrations with Sense that others do, but I know the dev community is going address those problems much quicker (and most likely better) than HTC ever will.

If all of your complaints are software related and you have no issues with the hardware, why don't you just give it a little time, then root and flash the ROM of your choice once they are available? In fact, I didn't even consider software when deciding what to upgrade to because I know how easy it is to correct shortcomings in that area. So based on the fact that I couldn't stand Samsung build quality, their display technology, and their poor reputation with their radios, going with the EVO was a no-brainer for me.

I'm thinking E4GLTE + CM9 + Nova/Apex is going to be a friggin unstoppable combination that a stock GS3 is never going to be able to touch.

Sent from my EVO using Android Central Forums

Last edited:

Starfleet Captain

Aug 3, 2010
Visit site

In my mind, one roots their phone to access functionality that was not intended for the phone. The things I am asking for are all things my previous phones did just fine, with the exception of Google wallet (which doesn't seem to be an issue with the phone itself). It also invalidates the warranty. I would be more open to it if the gs3 was not right around the corner.

I have never rooted my phone before, so I have many questions, like if there is a way to unroot if there is an official OTA update that I need to get. Also, if I unroot,does it break the apps that required root to begin with, or do they need root access for the original install?

Saneless

Apr 20, 2010
Visit site
The multitasking sucks big time on this. Good luck ever updating apps and using something else. Hell, even if the screen shuts off the apps stop downloading. But the CONSTANT reloading of everything else in every other app is annoying.

Sense is just a bloated piece of garbage and with sense 4 they've gone too far. Sense 3 was ok since Android 2 was rough, but with 4 all they've done is take away hundreds of megs of usable RAM and made the whole experience worse.

I'm going to see if Best Buy will let me return this, roll back my upgrade, and then try the S3. Although I wish Sprint had a smaller phone that was any good.

" but I know the dev community is going address those problems much quicker (and most likely better) than HTC ever will. "

I said the same thing for the EVO 3D a year ago. Still waiting on an AOSP ROM that works. CM7 never happened, CM9 still doesn't work. And even if they do have an AOSP ROM that's decent, the camera will probably bite.

Starfleet Captain

Aug 3, 2010
Visit site
I said the same thing for the EVO 3D a year ago. Still waiting on an AOSP ROM that works. CM7 never happened, CM9 still doesn't work. And even if they do have an AOSP ROM that's decent, the camera will probably bite.

This is the reason that I never buy a phone based off of what the dev community will/can do with it. I buy it based off of its stock capabilities. And yes, multitasking blows. HTC should have just added another gigabyte of Ram like Samsung did in order to keep their precious UI. Multitasking is an integral feature of Android and one of the key aspects of of the OS's greatness and HTC fracked it up. To me, its almost like I own a Sense OS phone that can run Android apps, rather than an Android phone.

kronosqq

Apr 19, 2012
Visit site
Believe me those issues are there and he's not wrong as its built in sense. This must be your first EVO than cause you would understand the changes HTC took.

I'm sure they are there on some of the phones, but mine is fine and I refuse to believe that most of them have these issues, especially the reloading sense one, until I see many more threads and some headlines about how the new Evo is super unstable. There's a difference between glitches and issues with every single phone out there.

As for your assumption about this being my first Evo, I upgraded from the original on which I ran Sense 1 (stock), Sense 3.5, and eventually stock ICS. I also happen to have reviewed the Evo 3D last year. I understand the changes that HTC made quite well.

KoukiFC3S

Oct 9, 2009
Visit site
Sorry to see you go.

I only saw sense reload once and I've had the phone for 2 weeks.

I usually multitask only between two apps, and that works great for me.

Hope you enjoy your next device more.

ScandaLeX

Mar 1, 2010
Visit site
I was about fed up with the Sense reloading until i started using Nova Launcher and that has taken care of the problem. There is no multitasking on this device. Sorry, thats just the way it is. I intend to root and get ride of Sense soon so that should take care of the other issues, but its going to be a problem for a lot of people.,

That's just it though...The problem (Sense reloading) isn't fixed. You just put a band aid (Nova) on it.

Tappin' from my SGP 5.0

doomstang

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
I do agree that the phone auto kills off processes way too aggressively. I rooted my phone and installed Viper ROM the day it came out and I don't think I could be happier with this phone until I get LTE. This thing is just amazing and I've had almost no problems with the rom Viper and Vin have made.. It's simply awesome.

Sent from my Evo 4G LTE using Tapatalk

Last edited:

kronosqq

Apr 19, 2012
Visit site
With the multitasking, its an issue that is showing up on all Sense 4.0 phones, including the One X. It seems that instead of the phone actually keeping apps open and doing work in the background or instead of simply holding the app open in a suspended (paused) state, the app reloads and you likely lose what you were working on.

As far as facebook pictures, this functionality worked flawlessly on all previous generations of Evos and Galaxy S phones. The phone syncs your contacts with their facebook picturs unless you manually specify your own picture to use with a specific contact. If I Decided not to use the built in texting app, 3rd party apps could show the synced facebook photo. In this version of Sense, the photos seem to be locked and not accessible by third party apps.

I won't comment much more on the contact pictures since I'm using the stock app and frankly don't have much experience with 3rd party ones, but apparently katmandoo122 got it to work on theirs, might want to look into that to see if you can use whatever method they used.

To answer some of the root related questions that you have though, first off, I think a big reason why the Evo 3D didn't get all that much support was because of the 3D, it apparently made camera drivers a bit hard to work with, especially when trying to port ICS to it. While the ImageSense technology might cause a similar problem I think it will a much faster fix for a few reasons.
1. The Evo 4G LTE has created a much bigger buzz because it's more of a successor to the original, not just an incremental upgrade with 3D thrown in. That means more developer support.
2. There are already at least 6 distinct ROMs on XDA, quite a few mods, a one click root method, and a custom bootloader unlocker. In well under 3 weeks. Many of them are progressing pretty quickly too.
3. It's already running ICS which make drivers less of a problem.
4. Drivers won't matter for Sense ROMs anyway, it would only create a problem (maybe) with stock ICS ROMs.

Now, I think there's a distinction between what the phone was meant to do and what the software it comes with was meant to do. For instance, the phone was meant to create a wi-fi hotspot, it's Sprint that imposes the cost on that if you stay away from rooting. As you've said, the phone was also meant to have true multitasking, it has more than enough system resources to do it, but apparently Sense locks that down a bit. Rooting, in my mind, unlocks the true potential of what the phone was designed to do, not necessarily makes it do things that it isn't supposed to.

From glancing over the XDA threads it looks like on the current build, un-rooting is no harder than rooting at the moment. If there's ever an official OTA you can still get that while rooted, and the update will probably unroot you itself. The apps that use root access don't generally require root access to install, but they will require it (and possibly superuser as well) to actually work as intended. Unrooting won't break the app itself, but you'll no longer be able to use the capabilities you had with it when you were rooted. Again, I think the developer support for this phone will be such so that even if you install an OTA that breaks your root, there will be another root method for the new version quite soon after it rolls out.

Also, I'd bet that fixing the multitasking wouldn't require you to flash a whole new ROM on there, I think it's something more likely to occur as a mod sometime soon.

Oh and somebody correct me if I'm wrong here, but I believe that Sense stops running in the background (at least after a restart) if you switch to a different launcher).

Last edited:

mech1164

Apr 25, 2010
Visit site
Well i'm not having as many issues as some here. Yes I get the sense reloading from time to time. Had it worse with my OG Evo. Now my issues are with its signal performance. On my OG Evo I knew I didn't have the best signal at home 3-4 bars. With this if I see 3 bars I'm a happy clam. Most of the time I see 1-2 bars at home now. It's a cr@p shoot as to if a call will go through. I've seen this phone do more flips of it cycling between roam and home then a Russian gymnast on the uneven bars. I did the fact reset profile update and prl update a few time still no help along with the cdma only switch. Got my phone last Saturday. If there isn't an OTA to fix this Friday its back to best buy for a refund.

doomstang

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
I don't know about the roaming deal but the number of signal bars aren't equal across all phones. It seems to happen quite often that two phones can be side by side and receive the same dbm yet show a different number of bars. It's just how they decide to program the dbm ranges to correspond to which bars of service.
If you turn off roaming do you drop to no signal at all?

Sent from my Evo 4G LTE using Tapatalk

Makad

May 9, 2010
Visit site
I have officially had all 3 EVO's, it was a trailblazer. Unfortunately I had to return an EVO for the first time for malfunction issues. The camera button didn't work, problems with 3 g radio (after the 1st week I couldn't get data 40% of the time. Had to do a reset to get it to work) June 6 I couldn't receive calls all day. Did several resets and a hard reset, and still nothing. 2 calls to sprint tech support, still no incoming calls. I could make calls and send text messages though. So, after work I took it back to best buy. The BB sales guy asked me if I wanted another EVO LTE... I paused then, with difficulty said, no. :'( and reactivated my 3D. What helped me to say no was something that I didn't think would be an issue for me. I thought others were whinning about nothing. But It did become a tiresome issue... The MULTI-TASKING. It became irritating when it went back to an app and reloaded it. I like how the EVO LTE looks, and I miss the screen and kickstand already.
I am gonna try the samsung SIII, in fact I just pre ordered it.

Reactions: Ntchwaidumela

PLCSP

Dec 1, 2011
Visit site
I don't really see what the issue is with the multitasking. Yes, the page reloads when I go back to it, but atleast it's saving the multiple pages I had open. I can put my phone down for hours or do something else on the phone, and the news stories I was looking at are still there when I pick up the phone again.

I came from a Blackberry Curve, which didn't really multitask, so I guess I don't understand what the issue is with the page reloading or not. If I typed stuff in the page that I didn't want to lose, I would either save it or complete the page before I started playing a game or something. JMHO

Either way, maybe HTC will come up with a fix if there is enough complaints about it. I'm sure they monitor some webpages for feedback.

I think the phone is awesome, and I couldn't be happier.

Reactions: Starfleet Captain

Technosticrati

Nov 28, 2011
Visit site
Most of us have had the same issues as the OP. We have all dealt with it differently.

At first I just installed Launcher 7 which worked like a charm for eliminating all the Sense 4.0 "multi-tasking" issues. But that's just a short-term solution to a long term problem.

Then after Chrome was updated within the last 48 hours that seemed to fix about 75% of the Sense lag issues when multi-tasking so I went back to Sense. Now it seems like Sense has gone back to its laggy self and the slow load times are back to how they were before the Chrome update.

What kind of history does HTC have in addressing major issues like this and should we expect that this device to get an update anytime soon or are we early adopters screwed?

PWBarrett

May 8, 2010
Visit site
I just figure that when my Evo4G first came out, it had bugs, but it's had 2 years of updates to stabilize all that. When I upgrade to the Evo LTE in a few weeks, I'll expect that this is rev 1.0 of the firmware and it'll have bugs but it'll get better with updates. The impatience of some people boggles my mind.

Reactions: Technosticrati

crxssi

Linux: The power beneath
May 31, 2010
Visit site
I am a light phone user. Have never had a Sense reload. Have never had a reboot. Don't use Facebook (and never will). Have zero interest in Google Wallet. Super speed, battery, camera, and screen. Great form factor.

But you are certainly right about multitasking. It is BROKEN. About half the time, it is saves state and reloads the app, that is not multitasking. Combined with the WiFi dropping when the phone is asleep and no USB mass storage on internal partitions, in many ways it a worse OS experience than my Evo 3D was. All three can be fixed, but will HTC do it?

crxssi

Linux: The power beneath
May 31, 2010
Visit site
I don't really see what the issue is with the multitasking. Yes, the page reloads when I go back to it, but atleast it's saving the multiple pages I had open. I can put my phone down for hours or do something else on the phone, and the news stories I was looking at are still there when I pick up the phone again.

This isn't PalmOS or iOS. It is supposed to be Android. We don't want save and restore, we want multitasking. I don't want my downloads to abort when I switch to another program or turn off the screen. I don't want my game to completely lose state and start me over again because someone sent me a message. I don't want to be unable to connect to an app remotely because the display is off or because I switched between two other apps.

Android has always had *TRUE* multitasking. HTC has F*ed up a cornerstone of what makes Android BETTER than most other phone OS's. It is unforgivable and should be fixed.

Reactions: bigdaddytee

kronosqq

Apr 19, 2012
Visit site
This isn't PalmOS or iOS. It is supposed to be Android. We don't want save and restore, we want multitasking. I don't want my downloads to abort when I switch to another program or turn off the screen. I don't want my game to completely lose state and start me over again because someone sent me a message. I don't want to be unable to connect to an app remotely because the display is off or because I switched between two other apps.

Android has always had *TRUE* multitasking. HTC has F*ed up a cornerstone of what makes Android BETTER than most other phone OS's. It is unforgivable and should be fixed.

Out of curiosity, what games have you completely lost state in when trying to multitask? I just did a quick test with Temple Run and although it does display a splash screen again when you go back into the app it also saved where I was an allowed me to resume. I haven't had any issues with downloads cutting out as far as I know. To be very clear, I don't doubt that these things are happening, I'd just like to be scientific about it and attempt to replicate what's happening to your device.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
johndoe11