Post your RAM (Memory) usage

geauxlsutigers

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
With all the multitasking issues, I'm curious what everyone's used and available (free) RAM is. Look in the Task Manager app. I looked for the first time today and was shocked to see I only have 109mb free. I am showing 571 used. What's more interesting to me is that it looks like the available RAM is only 679mb out of 1gb, at least for me, and that only a few apps and Sense really bog this phone down. I'm sure it is Sense using up most of the RAM because I have many of the same apps I had on my Photon and the RAM usage was nowhere near as high. That being said, I'm not really having issues with the phone lagging, but the multitasking issue is driving me nuts and this might be the answer.

Anthonicia

Apr 16, 2011
Visit site
The other RAM being used up is by the gpu. So, 330mb or so is going there.

Once rooted u can kill, or uninstall a lot of bloatware like Facebook and Twitter sense apps that seem to be running most of the time even tho never used, by me at least.

Sent from OG EVO LTE with Android Central Forums

Reactions: XxPyromaniacXx

Mikey47

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
Once rooted u can kill, or uninstall a lot of bloatware like Facebook and Twitter sense apps that seem to be running most of the time even tho never used, by me at least.

You don't even have to root to do that, ICS allows you to disable applications like these. It doesn't uninstall them, but it stops them from starting and taking RAM and CPU cycles on your phone.

Mophomania

Oct 9, 2011
Visit site
Strange thing tho, even with a bunch of unused apps disabled, I still see them running every now and then in the task manager. Its like the multitasking kills the part of ICS that disables the apps. I might just have to go in and manually change the .apk to .bak on those and see if that helps.

sent from my wicked EVO ONE using mind beam.

Mophomania

Oct 9, 2011
Visit site
Settings>apps>all apps tab,
Scroll down to whatever app you're looking to disable, click on it, look for the disable button (top right I believe). If for some reason you want it back, perform same steps, except you'll have to scroll all the way Down on the all apps tab, find the app that's been disabled, click on it, click in the enable button.

sent from my wicked EVO ONE using mind beam.

Mikey47

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
Can you share with us how this is done?

This only works with the preinstalled apps (i.e., the ones that you can not uninstall without being rooted). As Mopho pointed out, go into your apps list (Settings -> Apps, then click on "All") find the one you want to disable and click on it. There will be one of two things -- there will either be a "Disable" button or "Uninstall Updates". If "Disable" is there you can just click on it. In order to disable an app that has been updated, you have to click "Uninstall Updates". Once that is done you will see a "Disable" button appear.

This does two things -- it removes it from your app drawer, but more importantly it stops it from being started by you, or by any other application.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
19escape20