Question about NFC tag stickers

JinxDroid

Jun 29, 2010
Visit site
This question is for anyone that has used the NFC tag stickers with the 4GLTE.

What is the range? In other words, if I had a sticker in my truck and set it to auto-launch car mode... would it launch just by getting into my truck or would I need to put the sticker right where I rest my phone. Another concern for range is that I wouldn't want someone else's sticker launching a website or something on my phone without my knowledge.

Second question - if I set up (for example again) an auto car mode tag in my truck, would it bypass the lockscreen and go straight to car mode or would I still need to unlock my phone (which would kind of defeat the purpose, for me anyway)

Thanks!

AlternetConcept

Aug 3, 2010
Visit site
From what I understand, you must literally put your phone to the sticker for it to activate. I was using NFC with my EVO with my brothers Galaxy Nexus and the only time our NFC chips would activate is when they were practically touching.

I am 99% sure if you got into your truck it won't activate your car app until you actually put the phone near the nfc sticker.

Reactions: bc2k

w5cyc

Jul 3, 2010
Visit site
Yeah, you're talking about a range of literally a couple of inches, hence the "near field." Otherwise, every time I go into Best Buy and stand in line at the register, I'm paying for someone else's purchases without even knowing it through my Google Wallet prepaid card even though my phone is still hanging on my belt.

Reactions: ScandaLeX

dskwerl

Sep 17, 2010
Visit site
I believe realistic working range is 4 centimeters, as I read it yesterday.

And I believe the actions happen automatically, though you would need to unlock your screen presumably to see it. I haven't had a chance to try out the tags yet, but I'm looking at ordering some and trying it out soon.

AlternetConcept

Aug 3, 2010
Visit site
Now I have a question.

What kind of tags do I need to order?

Will these do?

I ask because what I want to do is put one in my car that will allow my phone to launch an application (torque pro) along with turn on BT as well as GPS. I know that these nfc tags only have a certain amount of space to do these types of things.. but will this tag do?

quiksilver

Apr 17, 2011
Visit site
You may want to checkout Tasker. You could use tasker to handle the tasks, turn on bluetooth and launch car app (note, gps can't be turned on automatically without root access). Then you could trigger the tasker task from the nfc chip.

AlternetConcept

Aug 3, 2010
Visit site
That is very much a possibility but I still would like to know how these nfc tags really work :p

I've seen so many different ones that I would definitely like to learn more about these things.

cohoman

Apr 16, 2011
Visit site
I've recently been playing around with NFC tags with my HTC EVO LTE, and it's pretty cool. Using NFC Task Launcher which is a breeze to use. One Note: I ordered some Mifare Ultralight NFC Tags (64 bytes) and they can barely hold 4 defined tasks. 64 bytes is not much space, so if you want to do more than 4 tasks (or define a "switch" for two separate sets of tasks on one tag) you'll need to go with 144 bytes or more space.

flyhighx

Nov 1, 2011
Visit site
I've been using NFC stickers for a a little while now with my EVOLTE. Very cool concept. I've been using them to turn bluetooth/wifi on and off going from the house to the car and for some other things as well. here are my observations.

1. NFC task launcher is a great app and the only one you need to format/create/read NFC tags.
2. They work really well and consistently and have a range of about an inch.
3. the phone must be on and unlocked to before the NFC sticker can be read. At first I was disappointed at this because it takes an extra second to do. Then I realized that this is a safety measure. Otherwise, someone could write a tag and bump it into peoples pockets/purses in hopes of getting their phones to carry out certain tasks.
4. I'm going to start looking for more complex apps that the tags could be used to open. I'd like to find apps to control my home such as apps that could be linked to controlling lighting, thermostat, garage doors, who knows.

gmtom1

May 16, 2010
Visit site
I believe the largest size tags that are available now are 1K tags. I bought some and was able to program them with 6-7 tasks each, less if I set them up as "switch" tags, which allow you to program two sets of tasks, that are completed in succession with each touch. For example, one tag for the car, which is a switch tag programmed with tasks I want done when I get in and get out of the car.

Reactions: ScandaLeX

cohoman

Apr 16, 2011
Visit site
I've been experimenting with NFC tags also, and the limited storage size for your typical tag restricts what you can do with them. If you use the secondary app called Tasker, I believe you can define some more complicated tasks which can be used by the NFC tag task.

Sent from my EVO using Android Central Forums

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laila Nance