Auto Brightness Fails

mazzmoney95

Sep 10, 2011
Visit site
A lot of you probably know that the phone seems to lag if you keep auto brightness on. Does this disappoint any of you like it did me? I love the auto brightness feature and it's disappointing that I cant use it without giving up functionality. Are there any fixes/mods/roms that fix this issue? It seems to be a ICS issue because I haven't seen it on my EVO 3D or 4G (I think i had it on).

freedumb87

Jan 25, 2011
Visit site
Hmm, I just came from the Samsung Epic and I haven't noticed this on either device. Can you give an example of when this happens? Does it matter what application you are in?

mazzmoney95

Sep 10, 2011
Visit site
Maybe it is just me lol. Its better to try with a video game like impossible game or canabalt HD. You kow when the brightness changes when you have autobrightness on? Well, for a second or so the phone slows down A LOT and makes the game go slow. You can only really notice it in game and maybe on a lockscreen. Its kind of hard to do unless you're in a place where the bightness on the phone keeps changing. It happens in moving vehicles most often (i noticed it while on the bus).

kbp08tls

Apr 28, 2012
Visit site
I've gotten to the point where I just turn auto-brightness off when I'm going to play a game. I really haven't noticed any lag, it just drives me nuts in a game like Angry Birds where the orientation of the screen has my left thumb moving over the light sensor, making the screen change brightness constantly. And like you said, dynamic lighting conditions make it cycle a lot too.
Which makes me wonder what drains the battery more: having the screen at a constant brightness level that may be a little too bright for some conditions and too dim in others, or the CPU power required to constantly sample and then change the brightness in real time?

freedumb87

Jan 25, 2011
Visit site
Yeah, I do see the brightness change depending on the light conditions but I haven't really played any graphic intensive games yet. I do know that some apps can override the auto brightness setting of the phone and it has to be turned back on specifically in the app itself. Maybe the app you are referring to has a similar setting where you can turn it off just for the application.

mazzmoney95

Sep 10, 2011
Visit site
No, not the games i play. I guess its landscape games that are affected the most. I know the games i play the most, impossible game and canabalt hd, both do it a lot so it kinda sucks. They are both ports from a pc and iphone game, ad they dont have very good settings

devgrp

May 17, 2010
Visit site
My auto brightness works perfect. I can see gradual change when Im walking outside.

If anyone is using clarus widget, that may be causing some lag. I had it installed and my phone started really lagging. I would use the power widget to cycle the different brightness level and it wouldnt change for about 5 seconds. I finally figured out that it was clarus widget.

I've since deleted it and my phone feels brand new again

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
steve1084