Dumb question about replacing Sense

Habiib

Sep 25, 2011
Visit site
Is it possible to replace the Sense 4.0 implementation on the EVO with the one used in the HTC ONE V? I'm just curious, because I think I remember reading that sense on the One V didn't have the eye candy, but still ran on top of ICS. In theory would this version have a smaller memory footprint, faster performance, and different multitasking operation?

Sent from my EVO using Android Central Forums

mazzmoney95

Sep 10, 2011
Visit site
What eye candy are you talking about? The 3D effects on the widgets and the scrolling animation can be taken off with some ROMs like the Pokemon ROM and i think the ROM by Flex360. Besides that, most of the other stuff like the animations and flip on the flip clock can be replaced by 3rd party widgets. I doubt the multitasking would be different though, but it's worth a try. Nobody has tried to port it, and i doubt anyone will. Most devs dont port stuff from older hardware to newer ones. Also, many ROMs come standard with a better minfree which is supposed to help multitasking (havent seen a difference even though the ROM says there's one).

Habiib

Sep 25, 2011
Visit site
Yeah the 3D effects/animations is the eye candy I was referring to. Thanks for the explanation and information, it answered the basis for my question.

Sent from my EVO using Android Central Forums from my EVO using Android Central Forums

Saneless

Apr 20, 2010
Visit site
The OP brings up a good point. I don't care about how Rosie (launcher) operates, but there might definitely be some slimmer parts of Sense overall that HTC left out of the V because it has even less RAM than we do. It could be something HTC can give us to help fix it some.

crxssi

Linux: The power beneath
May 31, 2010
Visit site
The OP brings up a good point. I don't care about how Rosie (launcher) operates, but there might definitely be some slimmer parts of Sense overall that HTC left out of the V because it has even less RAM than we do. It could be something HTC can give us to help fix it some.

I had been thinking along the same lines a while ago- Sense components are just too big, it would be nice if HTC added options to self-slim it so people can choose to run leaner, without throwing away the whole ROM (in addition to fixing the memory thresholds stuff).

For example- how much memory does that damn, 3D with shadows, recently-used apps thing use? I really could care less about how pretty it is. If I had an option to turn it off and use the standard ICS recently-used list and it saved a lot of RAM, I would do it in a heartbeat.

Habiib

Sep 25, 2011
Visit site
Thanks you all, that's what I was getting at but I didn't want to get too long winded. I saw the task manager of the One V and it looks just like the ICS version. So light weight skin was the end vision I was thinking of IF someone didn't want pure ICS.

Saneless

Apr 20, 2010
Visit site
Thanks you all, that's what I was getting at but I didn't want to get too long winded. I saw the task manager of the One V and it looks just like the ICS version. So light weight skin was the end vision I was thinking of IF someone didn't want pure ICS.

Well essentially It's like sense 3.6. Ics but uses less ram. I wish we had a port of that.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fallingOutOfLoveWfithTech