Swiftkey x eats too much ram

miicho85

Jun 6, 2012
Visit site
Hello as much as i love swiftkey x paid version, it uses too much ram about 40 at times i had to go back to stock sense keyboard, i think this is unacceptable for a keyboard :( im gonna miss you swiftkey, have you guys run into the same problem?

Mikey47

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
Hello as much as i love swiftkey x paid version, it uses too much ram about 40 at times i had to go back to stock sense keyboard, i think this is unacceptable for a keyboard :( im gonna miss you swiftkey, have you guys run into the same problem?

And what does the stock keyboard use for you?

SAENZ_SCENE

Aug 31, 2011
Visit site
It does use about 40mb but it doesn't effect performance on the phone at all. I am rooted now though and running a rom that is using the ics keyboard which i love anyway. If you really like swifkey its worth using. Unless you see a negative effect on your phones performance.

Sent from my HTC One X

Reactions: miicho85

miicho85

Jun 6, 2012
Visit site
It does use about 40mb but it doesn't effect performance on the phone at all. I am rooted now though and running a rom that is using the ics keyboard which i love anyway. If you really like swifkey its worth using. Unless you see a negative effect on your phones performance.

Sent from my HTC One X

I want to root my LTEVO but at the same time i don't wanna lose functionality and stability, like the camera app which i love :(

Saneless

Apr 20, 2010
Visit site
Well, Sense keyboard uses about 43, so I'm not sure what you're doing is supposed to help.

This phone has no extra RAM available, so any little bit helps.

Starfleet Captain

Aug 3, 2010
Visit site
I posted about this in the thread about taking my Evo back after 7 days. I had to make a decision about which app to keep between lookout and SwiftKey, which users the bulk of ram. I decided lookout was more important than SwiftKey and have since rediscovered my love for Swype.

However, I don't blame SwiftKey. The software played just fine on my Evo 3D. In fact, I never knew how much Ram it used on that phone because I never had to worry about it--as should be the case with most high end Android phones. The issue is with the phone itself, more specifically, the Sense bloatware.

We should not have to make compromises like this. I have rooted my phone and made some tweaks so that Sense does not reload. I will give SwiftKey another shot once the upcoming update gets out of beta.

Sent from my EVO using Android Central Forums

Reactions: miicho85

miicho85

Jun 6, 2012
Visit site
Well, Sense keyboard uses about 43, so I'm not sure what you're doing is supposed to help.

This phone has no extra RAM available, so any little bit helps.

Agreed we shouldn't worry about ram on a brand new phone, it got to the point where i only had 100mb of ram free. And i don't even have that many apps installed

miicho85

Jun 6, 2012
Visit site
I posted about this in the thread about taking my Evo back after 7 days. I had to make a decision about which app to keep between lookout and SwiftKey, which users the bulk of ram. I decided lookout was more important than SwiftKey and have since rediscovered my love for Swype.

However, I don't blame SwiftKey. The software played just fine on my Evo 3D. In fact, I never knew how much Ram it used on that phone because I never had to worry about it--as should be the case with most high end Android phones. The issue is with the phone itself, more specifically, the Sense bloatware.

We should not have to make compromises like this. I have rooted my phone and made some tweaks so that Sense does not reload. I will give SwiftKey another shot once the upcoming update gets out of beta.

I wish ram could be upgraded

Saneless

Apr 20, 2010
Visit site
Agreed we shouldn't worry about ram on a brand new phone, it got to the point where i only had 100mb of ram free. And i don't even have that many apps installed

The real problem is just how much BS is loaded and stays in memory.

Weather - 62
HTC Weather Provider - 32
Contacts Storage - 59
People - 41
Settings - 56
Settings (again) -53
Facebook - 41
Maps - 39
Maps - 38
Sense - 36 (I do not use it as a launcher, this is just the OS layer of Sense)
Smart Device Manager - 35

Look at all that redundancy. People and contacts storage is 100. Maps is doubled up for some reason. Sense is a waste. Why tf are settings in there for over 100? I could live with waiting 5 seconds to load up damn settings I rarely use.

And why so much weather??

Mikey47

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site

Weather - 62
Contacts Storage - 59
People - 41
Settings - 56
Settings (again) -53
Facebook - 41
Maps - 39
Maps - 38

Look at all that redundancy. People and contacts storage is 100. Maps is doubled up for some reason. Sense is a waste. Why tf are settings in there for over 100? I could live with waiting 5 seconds to load up damn settings I rarely use.

What tool are you using to see these?

pteezay

Sep 27, 2010
Visit site
go to settings then apps and check under running. Then at the bottom you can touch used or free to toggle between the two.

Starfleet Captain

Aug 3, 2010
Visit site

Weather - 62
Contacts Storage - 59
People - 41
Settings - 56
Settings (again) -53
Facebook - 41
Maps - 39
Maps - 38

Actually, this is normal Android behavior.Android is designed to load apps into the memory. Remember that apps being loaded into the memory does not affect battery life as long as they are not actually running. Ordinarily, they shouldn't affect performance either because if you run an app that uses a lot of memory in the foreground, Android kills off the apps that are not in use and are not important.

So this shouldn't even be an issue. The reason it is an issue is because Sense uses so much of the Ram. Because of that, there isn't enough room on the available ram to keep the high priority apps loaded in the ram. So instead of just putting more ram into the phone, HTC choose to aggressively kill off apps in the background, including Sense--which is why we get the constant reloads. The problem is with Sense and as soon as a ROM is released that well let me keep the camera features and is more in line with stock ICS, I'm jumping on board. That or HTC fixes this mess.

Saneless

Apr 20, 2010
Visit site
I know it's normal, but sense ruins normal and we are stuck with some bastard version that uses up too much ram, keeping garbage in ram instead of killing off things we don't need

Mikey47

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
I know it's normal, but sense ruins normal and we are stuck with some bastard version that uses up too much ram, keeping garbage in ram instead of killing off things we don't need

Couldn't agree more, way too aggressive leaving us no options. I want to use Golf Logix (score card and GPS distances). It worked fine on my OG EVO, but I can't use on my EVO 4G LTE. I start it, start my round, turn the screen off, turn the screen on and Sense has killed it.

We should at least have an option of marking apps that we do not want killed.

chud

Jun 16, 2011
Visit site
SwiftKey doesn't use nearly as much RAM if you don't sync it to your gmail etc. I just have it sync with SMS once in a while. It runs between 12 and 15 on both my EVO and Nexus S.

Reactions: Starfleet Captain

Starfleet Captain

Aug 3, 2010
Visit site
SwiftKey doesn't use nearly as much RAM if you don't sync it to your gmail etc. I just have it sync with SMS once in a while. It runs between 12 and 15 on both my EVO and Nexus S.

Really? This would have been a helpful tip 5 days ago. I am now using the new Swype Beta and loving it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
w8wca